XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw an interesting post which makes me wonder as I get ready to upgrade my suspension, G3-S shocks with or without reservoir?

Could those who know please give your opinion.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll check it out. The reservoir version allows for fast and slow rebound adjustment. I hadn't thought about saddlebags.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Piggyback reservoir actually adds Hi & Lo speed compression to the shock, Rebound and threaded preload are standard on that shock as well. You could add the ride height adjuster if you wanted that feature as well. The G3-S shocks are built by selecting components off the shelf that will tailor the ride for your requirements.

The advantages of the piggyback are of course they look cooler and have the hi & lo speed compression adjustment. If you are one that likes to fine tune for a different feel or you do track days then the piggyback version may be what you want. On the piggyback you would have 6 turns on both hi & lo speed compression and 64 clicks of rebound.

The IFP (Internal floating piston) has the same internal valving that the piggyback would have but lacks the reservoir and compression adjustments.

Both are available in different color combinations.

Terry

·
www.jp2code.net
20,696 Posts
Terry,

Glad to see someone from RT here.

I recently emailed Christy a pic in of my RT G3-S shocks where it looked like they were leaking down at the bottom:

She said I needed to send them in. $180 + Shipping for the rebuild.

Ouch! I could get lots of goodies for $180.

Anyway, after 2 weeks, Erica says there was nothing wrong, false alarm, but they'd give me 20% off the bill.

Does anything seem wrong about that to you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Terry,

I recently emailed Christy a pic in of my RT G3-S shocks where it looked like they were leaking down at the bottom:

Anyway, after 2 weeks, Erica says there was nothing wrong, false alarm, but they'd give me 20% off the bill.

JoeP,

Send the details you used when you sent them in to [email protected].

Since I am not on the sales end of things I have no idea what if any agreement was made or how old the shocks were or what you had asked to have done.

I will ask around and see what I can find for you.

Terry

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts
Terry - Thanks for joining in. I have pushed a lot of folks your way since I wrote the article mentioned above two years ago, but quite frankly a lot of folks have been disapointed with the customer service end of things. Maybe pass that on the Paul.
Welcome to the board.
Don

·
My other ride is your bitch
1,872 Posts
Well don, where are the pictures of SEMA? I know you have some....

·
Endeavor to Persevere!
5,336 Posts
Glad you have joined the forum Terry. I have wanted to use your company in the past but communication was at best, spotty. Look for an email from owenwoolley in your E-mail. I'm needing a new shock and forks rebuilt on my Honda XR650l.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Terry,

It only seems wrong if they did nothing. .... But if they disassembled and inspected the shock why shouldn't they get paid for it?..... After all you contacted them and asked them to work on it .....:) :) :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everybody please remember Terry is a technician and is not involved with pricing or service agreements.

·
www.jp2code.net
20,696 Posts
It only seems wrong if they did nothing. .... But if they disassembled and inspected the shock why shouldn't they get paid for it?..... After all you contacted them and asked them to work on it .....:) :) :)
Yeah, I guess I would have expected Christy to have offered more of a way for me to check that my shocks actually had a leak before telling me they needed to be sent in. The other option she gave was to sell me the parts to repair the shocks myself, but I'm no Howard.

And, if they weren't leaking, why was nasty oil all over the bottom?

Everybody please remember Terry is a technician and is not involved with pricing or service agreements.
lol - not expecting any miracles from Terry, but it's good to have some type of representative.

·
Endeavor to Persevere!
5,336 Posts
I understand that, but this is the closes I have been to actually talking to someone after a few years of trying. :whistling:

·
www.jp2code.net
20,696 Posts
[email protected] is my new buddy at RaceTech.

Here is the email reply I got from him:

Hi Joe,

Ok I did a little snooping around and what had happened was we got your shocks with the understanding that they were leaking so with the fact they were over 1.5 years old we wanted to make sure you would not have any issues down the road with them. We dis-assembled them and updated the valving for you as well as change the seals and put in some fresh fluid. The valving change was done for no charge and we gave you 20% off for the delay.

I am sure you understand that if we didn’t take them apart and sent them back and they developed another issue that would not look good on us as they were sent in to take care of an issue.

Terry
Terry's email was much more informative than what the other person told me. She simply said they found no issues, and here's the bill (not quite so crass, but it certainly felt like no Vaseline!)

·
. .. ... .... ... .. .
1,735 Posts
Terry - Thanks for joining in. I have pushed a lot of folks your way since I wrote the article mentioned above two years ago, but quite frankly a lot of folks have been disapointed with the customer service end of things. Maybe pass that on the Paul.
Welcome to the board.
Don
^
You can definitely add me.
Really hope their shocks work better than customer service.

-BC

·
. .. ... .... ... .. .
1,735 Posts
Terry,
Thank you for interest. Will send you a detailed email.
Boils down to basic customer service is all most ask for & to know what is expected.

-BC

1 - 18 of 18 Posts