XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Been a while since I posted in the intro section. Haven't done any real work on the bike (or any "real" riding, for that matter). Looking to go to some track days this year and am concerned about the very strict sound restrictions at Laguna Seca. They have a funny rule where if you have "db killer" inserts in your aftermarket exhaust, you get 3 strikes before you get kicked out. However if you don't have inserts, you only get 1 strike.

Anybody know just by looking at the exhaust tips and/or a crummy picture down the pipe whether this set of V&H Black Widows has the quiet inserts? Unfortunately V&H doesn't sell these any more, but they were kind enough to provide the part number I should be looking for (21929, for anyone wondering).

I started trying to pull these out but figured I might ask here if it's a easy answer before going through the various exercises of getting these unstuck.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey everyone,

Been a while since I posted in the intro section. Haven't done any real work on the bike (or any "real" riding, for that matter). Looking to go to some track days this year and am concerned about the very strict sound restrictions at Laguna Seca. They have a funny rule where if you have "db killer" inserts in your aftermarket exhaust, you get 3 strikes before you get kicked out. However if you don't have inserts, you only get 1 strike.

Anybody know just by looking at the exhaust tips and/or a crummy picture down the pipe whether this set of V&H Black Widows has the quiet inserts? Unfortunately V&H doesn't sell these any more, but they were kind enough to provide the part number I should be looking for (21929, for anyone wondering).

I started trying to pull these out but figured I might ask here if it's a easy answer before going through the various exercises of getting these unstuck.

Thanks in advance!

I had a hell of a time getting mine out. I used a rubber strap wrench and finally got them turning. Put lots of penetrating oil between the end cap and muffler can before you start. Once you finally get them spinning keep dumping on the oil. Turn and pull was the key. Coat the hell out of the mated surfaces with copper coat when you slide them back in. Again rotating and pushing should get it done. Resist the temptation to use a screwdriver between the can and end cap, as the cap is aluminum will distort. Good luck.

View attachment 247436
View attachment 247434

·
used ta could
1,767 Posts

·
USAF (Ret.)
202 Posts
They use to make a quiet core, not a DB killer insert. The quiet core was a reduced size core, to replace the standard core. Only seen one person on here use them, he destroyed the standard core getting them out and if I remember right, the quiet core didn't do much for reduce the sound, but really cut the power.

·
USAF (Ret.)
202 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Quiet....)))))? :cool:.Glass Packing,sec.Damper Inserts............no Way.
There is a Difference between Loud&very Loud........

The New Damper has blown out sec.Time......))))).....................

1 - 6 of 6 Posts