XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
First post here. I've been lurking for a while and have enjoyed alot of the fine posts here. Hello to all.

Hoping for a little bit of help here if any of you have the Electrical Diagnostic Manual for this bike. I decided to upgrade the turn singals on my XR1200 with LED insert lights. This also required installing load equalizer. I bought and installed one from custom dynamics...the street magic load equalizer. It wasn't plug and play so I used the positap connectors to wire it up according to the Owners Manual Electrical diagrams. (I have the OM...but not much info about TSSM in there)

The challenge I have is that the TSSM module is installed (really called a HFSM) and because I disconnected the battery while doing the install, now it needs to be "reset". The symptoms are that the LED lights flash 3 to 4 times faster than normal even WITH the equalizer installed.

The bad news is that the reset procedure given all over the web for Harleys doesn't work for the XR1200.

The procedure that is widely printed on a bunch of different sites is this:

1. Be sure run/off switch is in the off position.
  2. Turn ignition key switch on, off, on, off, then on.
  3. Quickly, depress left turn signal switch and release, repeat. Turn signal indicators will flash 1-3 times, do not continue unless turn signals respond.
  4. Depress right turn signal switch and release. Your turn signal indicator light will flash 1 time.
  5. Depress right turn signal switch and release. Your turn signal indicator light will flash 2 times
  6. Depress right turn signal switch and release. Your turn signal indicator light will flash 3 times.
  7. Depress left turn signal switch and release. Your turn signal indicators will flash trouble codes.​
  8. Depress and hold left turn signal for 4 to 5 seconds until turn signal indicator flashes twice​
On the XR1200, the first 3 setps will work...but they actually take you to a menu where you set your security PIN number. When you try to do Step #4 above...the indicators don't flash, but instead you begin changing the PIN numbers.

Anyone know how to reset the TSSM module on a 2009 XR?
Thanks.

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
I think the reason your indicators are flashing too fast is nothing to do with the reset procedure and more to do with the load equaliser either not working or being incompatible with the XR1200 system. I have never had very good experiences using any of the so called 'load equalisers'.

The best way to fit LED indicators is to use resistors that wire behind each indicator to bring the total resistance back up to somewhere near stock. You may only need to put resistors behind the rear indicators as this is often enough to bring it into 'operating range' of the stock flasher relay.

You can buy resistors ready to fit from Oberon or R&G amongst others or you can get them at electrical stores.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed, the "TSSM" (HFSM) shouldn't be the issue. I kill power to my bike periodically when working on it, and the HFSM does not need to be reset after a power down.

I'd check your wiring on your equalizer and make sure all of your connections are good. I'm not much of a fan of positap type connections - better to solder and heat shrink - but if that's all you have just make sure they are making a solid connection. The equalizer route saves guessing at wattage ratings to keep from melting a wire with a hot resistor, or for that matter getting the resistance right to match the current flow properly. I'm just presuming that you bought their HD, and not Metric, version...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Phadreus. Its strange really. Yes I bought the HD equalizer from CustomDynamics (not their Metric version) and actually I had it working for several months with no issues. Then for some unknown reason...perhaps the battery disconnect...or ??? it started fast blinking again just the past few days. I guess I "thought" that the first time I ran the quoted reset procedure...back when I first installed the lights in January....it fixed the fast blinking. However now that I actually have tried running through the procedure again (quite a lot) I think my first go around actually was a fluke. I've been running through all kinds of left/right turn signal push combinations to see if I can get lucky again. no luck so far. lol.

I'm really at a loss here. I did thoroughly check all my connections and they all look good and clean. I've got things taped up nicely and away from anything that could cause shorts or other issues. I guess,its possible the load equalizer is dead and basically just doing nothing. If that is the case, I may have to buy another one and give it another shot.

Its more of an irritation really more than anything. The security system works fine, and the lights blink as they should...just fast. I guess I don't mind the fast blinking turn lights that much, but just the fact that I paid for and installed something and can't get it to work like it should...bugs the heck out of me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Always possible that the equalizer went bad, or that one of your connections worked themselves loose over time. i had a load resistor go bad on a bike (kind of a fluke, it corroded through a connection inside a factory heat shrink, and I ended up re-soldering it). With the heat, moisture, and vibration, nothing is forever on these things. sounds like you've done a good check of your connections, so maybe the equalizer gave up the ghost...

·
pago cruiser
453 Posts
What he said. "Could you try another flasher relay?"

Load/balancing resistors just suck up power and do nothin except for compensate for [email protected] electronics. On another bike I switched blinkers (which are used as constant running lights for more visibility) and gauge lights to LEDs, as well as the flasher; the savings (almost 6 amps) allowed me to use both my halogen driving lamps AND my heated gloves... It was a real pita switching between lights or heat...

Sorry to be a noob if this has been discussed before, but a search did not turn up anything else on "flasher relay". So does anyone know if the flasher can be replaced without buggering the electronics??

·
@- SON
230 Posts
Used a Badlands Load Equalizer#1 for 15 years succesfully on my Sportster XL; now I ordered a new one for the XR and got the model for the XL's '07on, Load Equalizer#3/25 LE-03-C. Should be plug & play for the newer XL's, put in the wiringloom behind the Ignition unit.
In the XR I couldn't find those connectors... (6pin I thought). Any tips?? Free Spirits Italy btw uses the Badland#1....
http://www.badlandsmotorcycleproducts.com/2008/Products/BETCSM.htm#LOAD_EQUALIZER_III

1 - 9 of 9 Posts