XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1/4 mile times?

1/4 mile to Hooters in 11.99 and that was with a missed shift and a Hooters girl on the back(gave her a ride as a friendly gesture)! lol

paul:clap:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
XR1200 1/4 Mile times

Ok, so I'll offer these times up from my bike. My buddy Rick was riding. (He's a far better racer than I and he weighs 30 lbs less than me).

This was in about 85 deg weather with about 50% humidity. I've tuned the HD ECM, the stock pipes are drilled, and I have a Pipercross filter. I also put some insulation under the airbox to try to divert some engine heat and keep the Intake Air Temp down a bit. Otherwise the motor is stock.

With 40 psi and a smooth (but not very aggressive) launch from 3500 rpm, I was turning 12. 5+. I shifted over to my other bike and Rick took over the helm on the XR1200 posting the following slips after a bit of tuning (the XR bike number is 120).

Rick was launching at more like 5000 rpm and shifting at around 7300, with about 30 psi in the rear Dunlop.

So, 11.844 looks more like it for the XR1200. It actually felt hotter than 85 today, but I think it was just the sun reflecting off all of the asphalt. I'd like to try this again though, on a cool morning with better air.

And - being that I'm still learning about this bike - it was interesting to see what the XR1200 really likes AFR-wise. I had done several power runs on a couple of dynos, dialing in peak power with friends who are pretty skilled tuners. It really appeared that the XR1200 liked an AFR of 12.5 through most of it's rpm band at WOT. The numbers fell off on the dyno when we went leaner - but the road is a different story. We started the day at an AFR of 12.5, I tried 12.3, and then started going leaner. Rick ran the fastest times at an AFR of 13.2! So, no matter what the dyno says as far as peak numbers, the bike was spinning up faster on the track at a leaner AFR.

So, anybody else have numbers?

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks Phaedrus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been dying to know if this bike can get into the 11 sec bracket with just filter, exhaust and tune.....and you have just answered that it can:clap:

My best time for my bike which is stock (exhaust with cat) except for a pipercross filter is 12.44 sec at 106.43 mph (60 ft - 1.812, 330ft 5.094, 660 ft 7.88, 1000ft 10.334.
It runs 12.5's all day if I dont stuff up.

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
sweet!

Nice thread! Anything sub-12 is very impressive.....and looking at y'alls mods we're really talking about nothing radical yet (meaning that neither of you have cracked open the motor).

I think Doug M is the only person who's had the heads and valves massaged.....there's another .5 seconds laying around this bike somewhere....

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
I 'd look to make it come out of the hole quicker. A 1.8 60 foot definitely leaves some room for improvement there I would think

I've tuned the HD ECM, shifting at around 7300 So you did a SEST tune to raise the redline? Does anything on the Dyno suggest that it stll is making power at that high of an RPM or would a shorter shift possibly gain better et's?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I 'd look to make it come out of the hole quicker. A 1.8 60 foot definitely leaves some room for improvement there I would think

I've tuned the HD ECM, shifting at around 7300 So you did a SEST tune to raise the redline? Does anything on the Dyno suggest that it stll is making power at that high of an RPM or would a shorter shift possibly gain better et's?

I'd agree, it could probably be faster, but Rick (who was laying down the faster times on the XR while I shifted over to my Fatboy), had never ridden the bike before. He pretty much got on it and in about a dozen runs nailed the 11.8. He's pretty impressive on his own 9 sec bike and had tremendous clutch and throttle control on the "new to him" XR (as evidenced by the data logging). A few more runs for familiarity though, and maybe a touch more tuning, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a 11.6 or 11.7 come out of an essentially stock bike. Certainly with better air it will run a touch quicker. We didn't play much with tire pressure either. But then, I think I'll leave this for someone else's XR...

As for shift points, I pushed my rev limiter up to 7800 to reduce the amount that the motor might tap it on over-revs during shifts. As far as I can see on the dyno, my motor has pretty much peaked HP by 6700. The motor doesn't die after this point it just starts to roll off on HP. I was shifting at about 7k. He went a couple hundred higher to stay in gear longer and come back in to the power band a few hundred rpm higher. He's got a much better feel for the strip than I, and considering how much better than Cycle World he ran, I think the 1.8 is more in the bike than him. Now for Doug and his worked over motor - he should have lower 60' times in that beast!

Oh, and just for comparison, this is what I managed with my 700 lb Fatboy with a 98" motor and 230 lbs of rider. It's bike #98. The other bike was one of those fancy high rev "Jap" bikes who wanted to smoke the kid on the Harley, but I think he got overanxious, a bit squirelly, and exited mid-track...

And before anyone is too critical -I'm no drag racer - I just run for fun once in a while. Plus I hadn't raced since last October and hadn't even started that bike since January 1st (it still had gas from my New Year's day ride in it), since I enjoy riding the XR too much. If I hook up the coil kill the Fatboy is good for 11.6's and with better air, maybe a tenth quicker. But regardless, the XR was matching it without any motor mods, and with a brand new rider on it...

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nicely done Phaedrus. How did the clutch hold up on the XR?
Boz, I was very doubtful of the XR clutch holding, but I'll have to change my tune. It's not that it won't slip during full throttle shifts, it's just that if the clutch is blipped quickly and the motor is not allowed to over-rev during the shift, it holds fine.

The times that I saw slippage was when I put too much hand on the clutch and gave it almost 0.2 sec to gain 500 rpm during the shift. Once I focused on my clutch control and got the quick clutch blip down, and for Rick's much better clutch hand, the clutch held just fine.

So, I'd have to say that one can certainly make the clutch slip, but that it doesn't seem to slip in a good quick-shift, and it isn't slipping during a normal shift where the throttle is rolled off for a moment.

At least in my lowly observations...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gratuitous happy snap

From the day at the track - here's my bikes as I was setting up for the day...

Nothing like having the track for a full day, with just 25 of your closest cycling friends and unlimited runs from 9 to 5!

Attachments

·
Keeping Them Flying
183 Posts
Now for Doug and his worked over motor - he should have lower 60' times in that beast!
When do you want me to bring it up? You can give my map a once or twice over too.

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
Interesting how your almost stock XR is running as fast as your 98" built Fat Boy - Shows that weight is King!

Today leaving my shop there was a Clown on an Electra Glide coming off the Dyno. 114" showing 121HP. He wanted to race as I was leaving, roll on at about 10 MPH, left him behind up to about 70 when i rolled out (we were on the street after all) Nothing like being 400 LBS lighter :clap:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting how your almost stock XR is running as fast as your 98" built Fat Boy - Shows that weight is King!

Today leaving my shop there was a Clown on an Electra Glide coming off the Dyno. 114" showing 121HP. He wanted to race as I was leaving, roll on at about 10 MPH, left him behind up to about 70 when i rolled out (we were on the street after all) Nothing like being 400 LBS lighter :clap:
Yep!! And the lighter bike probably helped too! :D

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts

Ha! I had a similar experience yesterday.....rode to a rally to support a search for a missing girl....about 80 miles of 2 lane country roads with a friend on a Dyna...we had several impromptu races along the way.....he kept trying me 'cause he couldn't believe the XR was that much faster than his bike.....when we finally got there and dismounted he said, "Well, your's may be faster but mine's more comfortable!"

I reached over and rang the little bell he has hangin' from his frame and said, "Yeah. Oh, is this a real Harley Davidson bell? Sweet! What d'ya pay for something like that?"

He didn't appreciate my dry humor. [:)] He didn't want to race anymore on the way home....

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
Yep!! And the lighter bike probably helped too! :D
Actually I will paint a picture - the bike was an almost fluorescent color, it had a louder stereo than I have in my house, and the fella on it looked like the Michelin's mans brutha from South Central. So all told I had probably had a 600 lb advantage.
He did do a very impressive wheelie though, dragging the bagger's exhaust for a good while

·
WTF???
15,969 Posts
I thought my slips were posted somewhere around here, not sure where. [email protected] or close. 2nd run ever, stock. My weight: 220

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.