XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve never been to a Quail Event, but always wanted to go. The XR750 is one of the featured classes, so it will be nice to see one in person if I go. A guy I know maintains another guys collection of motorcycles, and I’ll see him later today, and the XR750 they are prepping for the show. Pictures will be posted if I can see it today.

hecsaid the following about the XR750:
“It's a race bike and as the story goes, HD only built 200, only 100 were sold and 80% of the bikes were disassembled and destroyed by the Motor Company so depending on where the dividing line is drawn that means only 20 or 40 of the bikes exist and out of those many have been thrown out over the years.”

The event:

Reactions: raven and geno

·
Administrator
12,919 Posts
@CoreyDSFA

Check this thread.............

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew I should’ve searched before I posted, but thanks for that link.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasn't suggesting that you should have searched, just wanted you to see the post that member BLIGHT posted up way back when. It was interesting.
Cheers!
I got that Gene, not my intentions on that reply. I usually search before posting something new, as a lot has been talked about here over the years. That link was excellent.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stopped by a friends work today and took a few pictures. Some of these will be at the Quail. OK the first one is the XR750 Tank and it goes with the 5th on, the XR750 frame on the table. The 7th one is the TT XR750 and will be there too. Now I have to go.

Bumper Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle brake Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Shelf Picture frame Engineering Shelving Automotive design

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Almost forgot the Cosman in that in that mix.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's a shame Sandy Kosman sold his shop a few years after leaving San Francisco. He and his shop did great and amazing work. I used to work at a race-shop / engine builder and we sent wheels to Kosman for widening and in one case increasing the diameter from 16in to 17in. Kosman helped me run wider 17's on both ends of my FZR400 racebike. More than a few AFM racers sported his magic!

Now that I have an XR, I was hoping to have some Kosman magic done to it. I have tried to contact the new owner, but as far as I can tell the shop is permanently closed.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This weekend is The Quail Show. I am excited to see the great display of motorcycles, but more important is this will be the longest ride in a single day for me and the XR. 214 miles round trip, and I will not make it there on a full tank. Not going to push it. Weather should be a high of mid 60's with a low of 50. Figure in the wind chill riding at 80 mph, and I will have a few layers under my NJK Jacket.

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern

Water resources Ecoregion Map Vegetation Body of water

Bike is ready, and so am I. Was planning on riding down there with @amarzano and @ranbush, but Alex is out on a business trip, and Ran will already be in that area, so it's Han Solo for me. My Boss is joining Ran and I for Breakfast, before the event, and he might even bring is Retro XR750 he has been working on, but he doesn't have enough miles on it to ride the whole way there and back.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

Plan on taking plenty of pictures, and even though I don’t know all of their names, I’ll give it my best shot. There is usually a sign near the bikes to help me with this. Going to see some people in the industry I have not seen in a long time.

Power Vision will be attached for some readings, and I-Phone mounted for directions. No music, just the sweet sound of my Bassani at speed is all the music I need. I'll be watching for that gaslight, as when it comes on, there is only 1/2 gallon remaining.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
About 1.5 hours, 96 miles, and 3.2 gallons so far. No sore butt on the Saddlemen Seat. I am meeting a few friends for breakfast, then riding to the show, about 15 miles away. The Power Vision is a great tool. Watching the fuel mileage of about 40mpg, cruising at 80 mph, at around 4500 rpm. ET about 380F and that is not engine oil temperature either, must be Cylinder Head Temp? Bike runs great. No music, and I just talk to myself about things.

Overcast and a little fog here in the Monterey Bay Area, with no signs of Mad Crows either.

More after I get back home, and can add pictures. Either tonight or tomorrow after work.

You all have a great weekend.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
3,439 Posts
About 1.5 hours, 96 miles, and 3.2 gallons so far. No sore butt on the Saddlemen Seat. I am meeting a few friends for breakfast, then riding to the show, about 15 miles away. The Power Vision is a great tool. Watching the fuel mileage of about 40mpg, cruising at 80 mph, at around 4500 rpm. ET about 380F and that is not engine oil temperature either, must be Cylinder Head Temp? Bike runs great. No music, and I just talk to myself about things.

Overcast and a little fog here in the Monterey Bay Area, with no signs of Mad Crows either.

More after I get back home, and can add pictures. Either tonight or tomorrow after work.

You all have a great weekend.
Exhaust temp?

J.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That could be what it is but I’ll look for one of the gauges to read engine temperature but if that was the case I was looking for oil temperature and it’s not there either.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyhow I just got home about a half an hour ago and I’m gonna start posting pictures.
The XR750 Tribute.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Jeans Trousers Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Jeans Trousers Tire Wheel Motor vehicle

Clothing Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Trousers Fuel tank Vehicle

Reactions: geno and Chipmaker

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ranbush next to his XR, and an’82 GPz550 paled next to us.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Random pictures of the show.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle

Clothing Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Sky Automotive tire Motorcycle

Jeans Tire Trousers Wheel Fuel tank