XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
XR's available/production run

I can tell you that there are 3 XR' S (2 black, 1 orange) that have been sitting at the dealer here in South Florida unsold for over a month. I have had mine for about 3 month's and ride it every weekend and have yet to see another on the road or the usual rider meeting spots. I did call Harley in Milwaukee to find out if mine was one of the first 750 and they said no, so more than 750 have been produced. Mort

G

·
mort, don't forget that we europeans got the first XR's produced. Some even have 2008 models that were never available in the states.

I myself have one of the first 2009 models delivered in summer 2008. Kinda odd. There were some orange 2008 models standing at the dealers here when I already had my 2009 :)

·
Keeping Them Flying
183 Posts
My understanding was that the first U.S. 750 were all preorders and were all orange. That would seem to indicate that the black and silver models at least, are beyond the initial 750.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My understanding was that the first U.S. 750 were all preorders and were all orange. That would seem to indicate that the black and silver models at least, are beyond the initial 750.
Ok, so tell me. Is this true? I have an orange one. But, was under the impression that all the USA was going to receive 750. Is this not true? Only 750 orange ones? Where can I find more info on this?

·
Keeping Them Flying
183 Posts
The first 750 were all pre-orders and all orange. After that it's a crapshoot. Harley is going to sell as much of anything they can.

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
But, was under the impression that all the USA was going to receive 750. Is this not true?
I think the first 750 pre orders were a toe dipping exercise just to make sure the model would sell in the US. From what I have heard the XR1200 is one of the best selling H-D models worldwide at the moment. I don't have figures, just anecdotal evidence from dealers and people 'in the know' as it were.

Long may it continue :)

G

·
They are compiling a list (on another non-XR only forum) of each XR's last six VIN numbers, where the owner lives and at which HD dealer they purchased it from.

What trend do they intend to portend?

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,305 Posts
They are compiling a list (on another non-XR only forum) of each XR's last six VIN numbers, where the owner lives and at which HD dealer they purchased it from.

We know about it, as a matter of fact most of us are on it....And i really dont have a clue what its all about, the guy that has been compiling it posts on here.

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
The "List"...

~

Hi, XRider.

Welcome to Magoo's XR1200 forum.

I'm the guy who started the "List" over on the old XLForums at:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=390177

The "list" there was never intended to "portend" anything really, nor was it intended to note any specific "trend". That thread was first posted back when H-D's initial "pre-order" program was underway here in the USA and there was a lot more discussion and speculation on how H-D was going to handle the serial numbers, etc.

As you can see in the initial "Head Count" post over there the reasons for it being started were described as:

"Sort of a head count, roll call, owner's list, etc. thread. This way we can keep track of those who already have one but also keep an ongoing, running count of those who have actually bought one. I know a lot of you folks out there want one, but it might be helpful to actually have a thread containing just those who actually have purchased an XR1200 - i.e. it can start lists for XR rides, trading parts or dealer info specific to XR's, etc."
I had originally hoped it would take off enough, and get enough participation, that it might be useful for XR1200 riders meeting up, getting together, etc. in different parts of the country. It has sort of fizzled out a bit over there (though it got a new posted "list" member today, oddly enough), and there never seemed to be much interest in starting another such list here so I didn't start a similar "list".

I still watch and try to maintain the XR1200 "list" over there so please add your name, etc. to the "list" via post in the thread there if you like.

Hope this explanation helps a bit...

Thanks!

Dallara

~

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
interesting stuff...

When the list first started I participated just because there were so few of us in the U.S. and it was interesting to see where the other XR owners were. Since then I've noticed on other owners group sites, whether it be rare automobiles or motorcycles, there is always a "registery".....which is what Dallara's list is...be it the MV Augusta owners group site or COBRA owners group site.

The lists are great for keeping track of who's where, sharing information, and setting up events among other things. Dallara's list includes the last 6 #'s in the VIN.....which is interesting though I don't think we ever figured out the rhyme or reason to the VIN sequence. When I joined the BSA B-50 owners I had to use my entire frame number and engine number...

So, if you have an XR put it on the list....let's figure out where all these buggers are! [:)]

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
list

One thing we did not track on the list is the order/purchase/delivery date. Mine, not a pre-order, shipped Jan 4, delivered Jan 14. I was told by HD that mine was not one of the first 750, SN 434110, for what it's worth

·
Registered
20 Posts
...Since then I've noticed on other owners group sites, whether it be rare automobiles or motorcycles, there is always a "registery"...
[:)]
I guess thats the one this I don't understand about this site. If there is, was, or needs to to be a "registry". Why do we not have one on this site? I'd like to see a separate section here where we can. Noting (voluntary) year, color, location, bike number (or just the ending numbers).

I'd also like to see a Google map where we can post this same info (or most of it). To give a nice visual representation of our bikes/locations. Maybe this could just be the dealer where we got the bike, and NOT our home addresses.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
good point.....

F2Titan, that's a fair comment....I would like to have a registry here and I've struggled with it for some ethical reasons....(which rarely happens with me ;))...

1) I feel like the "list" or registry is really Dallara's deal...he started it, has troubled himself to care and feed it, and pretty much owns it in my opinion. I wouldn't screw with his deal.

2) The list was started on XLForums...and we've already had discussions about the ethics of just ripping something from another site and posting it here...especially without crediting the original author and site. The people who gave permisssion for Dallara to list their ownership info on XLForums may not appreciate having their info moved around...I know we can do it but for some reason it seems a little sensitive to me.....

I'd love to see a full registry here along with a google map as you suggest. I think it'd be very cool. I just dunno, dude.....we'll let it simmer, the correct path will make itself apparent....(very Zen, huh?)

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
The "List"...

~

To our administrator - Thanks. I appreciate your comments, but I don't really "own" the "List". In my eyes the people who provided the information contained in that "List" own it. That's the only reason I fought over it on another forum. The information on that list belongs to those people who provided it, and they deserved to have it displayed in the spot they volunteered for, and ONLY in that place. In my debates with people I honestly was only trying to protect the people on that "List".

The "List" belongs to them...

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with anybody starting a "List", or more properly - a "Registry" - as has been pointed out, here on the XR1200 board. In fact, I applaud the idea, and think this would be a great place for a much more detailed and "official" documentation of XR's and their owners.

However, I think it is something that is better handled by the administration of the board, or otherwise assigned to one person to handle it. In other words, you can't just let anybody have access to the adding and editing of it. That would be a recipe for disaster, as then anyone could go in there and wreak havoc with it. Better to have people submit their information and have that info posted and maintained by one person. This is essentially how the "Registry" is handled by folks who collect Shelby Mustang's and Cobra's, Lotus cars, etc.

In addition, a properly maintained "Registry" even tracks vehicles when they change hands, and maintains the tree of ownership of the given vehicle, primarily so the history and provenance of the piece can be tracked years into its past as the decades progress.

I also love the idea of a map that shows where owners are. I have seen these on both bike and car forums, and it is great tool to help folks find other owners in their travels.

All that said, I agree that it is not a good idea to simply grab the current "List" from over on the XLForum, at least not without the permission of each and every listed owner over there. In my mind just grabbing that "List" is simply not proper nor ethical. Yet, that doesn't mean we can't start another one right here on this board and then invite each of those over there to contribute to it here.

Hope this helps...

Dallara

~

·
Keeping Them Flying
183 Posts
F2Titan, that's a fair comment....I would like to have a registry here and I've struggled with it for some ethical reasons....(which rarely happens with me ;))...

1) I feel like the "list" or registry is really Dallara's deal...he started it, has troubled himself to care and feed it, and pretty much owns it in my opinion. I wouldn't screw with his deal.

2) The list was started on XLForums...and we've already had discussions about the ethics of just ripping something from another site and posting it here...especially without crediting the original author and site. The people who gave permisssion for Dallara to list their ownership info on XLForums may not appreciate having their info moved around...I know we can do it but for some reason it seems a little sensitive to me.....

I'd love to see a full registry here along with a google map as you suggest. I think it'd be very cool. I just dunno, dude.....we'll let it simmer, the correct path will make itself apparent....(very Zen, huh?)

432910 - Orange - Doug Mackenzie - Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX - purchased at H-D of North Texas, Carrollton, TX
Here is mine. Do with it what you will...(very stoic, huh?)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts