XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the voices told me so!
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to tap y'alls resources.

My TomTom works fine, but the cradle that I can dock/charge the unit via no longer charges the unit. It worked on my BMW, but when I transferred it over to the XR, it didn't work. I do not know how long it didn't work, or if it was dropped, etc. I just know it doens't work now. I traced the electronics on the charging cable all the way to the cradle itself. I know power is going into the cradle, but I can't find a current at the pins where the GPS connects into the cradle. I attached eyelets to the power cable and had it directly connected to the battery posts on the BMW. On the XR, I connected to a battery cable quick connect adaptor.

Problem #2, TomTom no longer sells nor supports the Rider units in the US. I have found one place in the UK that will sell and ship me a new cradle and connector cable. Will end up being around $100 USD.

Anyone have an extra cradle sitting around? Or know anyone who does? Or know anyone who sells them in the US? I'd like to find a place that won't hassle me on returns. I just have an inkling that maybe the issue isn't with the cradle and I don't want to drop three digits of cash on somthing that still won't work and won't be able to return it.

Thanks,
Melissa

·
www.jp2code.net
20,699 Posts
I'd imagine we could round something up. Are there any numbers or markings on this other than TomTom Rider 2? >> HERE << is a search using that exact phrase.

So, any sunlight this time of year? Ever? Are you getting to see that Northern Lights show they talked about on the news?

·
Endeavor to Persevere!
5,336 Posts
Make sure the +positive and -negitive connectors on the battery tender side are going to the +positive and - negitive on the cradle.

·
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
"Try pushing the horn button. If it's like some things you wired up..........(forgot to add smiley face)"

Hey now, I may just resemble that remark. But not this time. The Good Idea Fairy has left the building.

·
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Make sure the +positive and -negitive connectors on the battery tender side are going to the +positive and - negitive on the cradle.

So with the TomTom connector cable, it is keyed and an enclosed system. Kinda like plug and play. I cannot mess up the connector cables at the connection into the unit. I did match red to red and black to black when I connected to the battery.

·
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd imagine we could round something up. Are there any numbers or markings on this other than TomTom Rider 2? >> HERE << is a search using that exact phrase.

So, any sunlight this time of year? Ever? Are you getting to see that Northern Lights show they talked about on the news?
The aurora show up here was amazing. That solar storm produced a spectacular show. I was up near Baldy Peak watching and it was truly amazing. As for sunlight, yes we are finally getting nearly 8 hours a day. It is nice to have the sun around again. January was the coldest month on record for Anchorage, but February came in with 40 degree weather so now we are in an ice bowl. Ugh, I just want to ride my baby again...

For the numbers on the cradle:

Model: TomTom Rider 2nd edition bike dock
and then 0495
and then 4K00.102

I did learn that the Rider 2 and Urban GPS use the same docking cradle.

Thanks,
M&M

·
www.jp2code.net
20,699 Posts
Hey now, I may just resemble that remark. But not this time. The Good Idea Fairy has left the building.
So, I got that message ^UP^THERE^ in my email, and asked myself, "What in the world is this woman trying to tell me?" LOL

The aurora show up here was amazing. That solar storm produced a spectacular show. I was up near Baldy Peak watching and it was truly amazing. As for sunlight, yes we are finally getting nearly 8 hours a day. It is nice to have the sun around again. January was the coldest month on record for Anchorage, but February came in with 40 degree weather so now we are in an ice bowl. Ugh, I just want to ride my baby again...

For the numbers on the cradle:

Model: TomTom Rider 2nd edition bike dock
and then 0495
and then 4K00.102

I did learn that the Rider 2 and Urban GPS use the same docking cradle.

Thanks,
M&M
Man. Really sounds cool - the lights, not riding my XR in a slush bowl.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TomTom-Ride...S_Accessories_Software_ET&hash=item564842f0ed

This is what I need but can only find in the UK. My part number is 4K00.102 and this is 9k... but I think it will work according to the specs.
They have an email address listed: [email protected]

I'd fire off an email to them with what you have before ordering from the UK, not because the UK is horrible (well, maybe) but because returns and return postage would take a long time!

Also, if they write back with the correct part number, you could try searching for that over here using Google or EBay again.

·
www.jp2code.net
20,699 Posts
Follow-up:

Found an old thread from 2009 on >> THIS << website:

tmurrayis said:
I spent several hours and a few phone calls to GPS retailers to track down a bike dock for my tt Rider 2 becasue mine was deffective. I could not find it for sale anywhere; even from TT in the US.

What I found out from a dealer here in Canada who called their TT contact was the dock that comes with the device (4K00.102 which has the power connection) is unavailable for purchase in North America as a part and is only available in the UK. If you go to the UK site you will see it for sale for 45 pounds sterling (about $90 Can.).

TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Additional Bike Dock for TomTom RIDER Regional 2ND edition

The curious thing is when TT in the US determined the unit was still under warranty they magically found a new one to ship to me as a replacement.
I don't know if that is any help, though.

·
Alexr1200x
1,072 Posts
Hi Melissa,

Have you tried it back on your Beemer again?

Also worth looking at the pins on the cradle, they can corrode, try spraying with electrical contact cleaner and put dielectric grease on them.

Check the connector wire for continuity, maybe a break somewhere, going intermitent.

Has a fuse blown either on the bike or on an inline fuse on the connecting wires.

Have you connected the wires directly to the battery as I found this was the only way to guarantee sufficient charging whilst on the move.

Hope you solve it soon as the Tom Tom is a great unit. I have one on my XR but it is the mark one which means it can jump out of the cradle when you go over potholes unless I cable tie it in. Unfortunately the mk 2 cradle will not fit the Mark 1 as the case of the satnav is different giving it a much more secure lock to the cradle.

Alex

·
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Melissa,

Have you tried it back on your Beemer again?

Also worth looking at the pins on the cradle, they can corrode, try spraying with electrical contact cleaner and put dielectric grease on them.

Check the connector wire for continuity, maybe a break somewhere, going intermitent.

Has a fuse blown either on the bike or on an inline fuse on the connecting wires.

Have you connected the wires directly to the battery as I found this was the only way to guarantee sufficient charging whilst on the move.

Hope you solve it soon as the Tom Tom is a great unit. I have one on my XR but it is the mark one which means it can jump out of the cradle when you go over potholes unless I cable tie it in. Unfortunately the mk 2 cradle will not fit the Mark 1 as the case of the satnav is different giving it a much more secure lock to the cradle.

Alex
I sold the BMW, but the only difference was that I did connect directly to the battery and not to the quick connect cables. I visually inspected the connector pins, and they apprear clean, but I may pick up some contact cleaner anyway and try that. Hard to say what road grime is on them. I traced the integrity of the power cable from the battery to the connector and the power is good with no drain. The fuses are good, I tested that.

I'll try the contact cleaner and see if that helps.

I have found two replacement options in the US and they are running about $200. Not quite what I want to spend.

TomTom offered me apologies for my situation, and in return I offered them my middle finger.

·
Endeavor to Persevere!
5,336 Posts
Also try a pencil eraser. 30 years in industial electric/electronic work :) Doing that "trick" has saved me having to change out more than 1 flaky drive. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts