XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody installed an exhaust and tuned their bike with SE Super Tuner. if so, did you encounter any problems with the mapping?
-Mario

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
Mario, welcome to the site. Several members have the SEST installed. Phaedrus is a SEST god! Read his posts and you, too, can be an expert on the SEST. My charts from my dyno tune and SERT are posted in the HP section. Good Luck!

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
Had a pipe and SEST since March. You need someone that knows how to tune one to make a map for your bike to make the most power using a dyno and a bit of skill and knowledge. Not easy, not cheap but the best way. If you change something the map can be adjusted to get the most advantage. :D Later,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my HD service dept installed V&H widow exhaust, and they are having difficulty with the SEST. according to the tuner, there is only one base map for the XR and it is way off. no matter which way he goes (rich or lean) there is a significant amount of surging. during our last conversation, my tuner contacted HD, but I do not know if they helped with the tune.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am sorry my first post is an attempt to take information, but I promise to contribute at some point.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mario, you definately need phaedrus. Find an old post by him, click on his username, and select "send a private message"....let him know what's going on, he'll give you some direction....but at this point I suspect most of your problem is with your tech....

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
my tuner still unable to figure the SEST for the XR. I'm ordering the fuel pack monday morning. I'm totally baffled as to why the most expensive, most adjustable option for EFI mapping is not working.
have to believe - Operator Error. Talk to Phaedrus on here before you abandon it for the inferior Fuel Pak

·
Metal cannot think, therefore it cannot be held re
821 Posts
Mario, the SEST will work. The problem is almost certainly with your tech not having enough familiarity with it. If they supplied you with, and fitted, the parts, then it is their responsibility to get the bike running correctly. The ball is in their court. Adding or subtracting fuel in the AFR table is not the answer, as they need to tune the VE tables so the ECM knows how much air is entering each cylinder. Exhaust systems have a massive influence on this and it needs doing properly, preferably on a Dyno, although it can be done by road testing using datalogs and the right equipment. There is also a new software upgrade for the SEST, which your dealer could get. This adds some new features which may help them.
Resist the temptation to use the Fuelpak. Personally I refuse to tune customers bikes with this, as I consider it a waste of my valuable time and their money.
Take some time and read some of the info in the EFI section of this forum, it may help you get your head around what's involved in doing things correctly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
got my bike back yesterday. initial problem turned out to be a software issue. the tech tuned my bike perfectly. put on 350 miles in the dyno. the final numbers were approximately 82 hp & 76 torque, but my seat of the pants dyno is seriously impressed. the motor runs smoother and revs quicker, and hits hard at 4000 rpm and pulls all the way to redline.

as far as the V&H exhaust:
-looks great
-quiet at idle, loud in the upper rpm's
-you feel the heat off the rear head pipe

sorry but I do not have the equipment for a sound clip or scanner for the dyno sheet. if there is someone who lives in the northern illinois area who does, then I'll be more than happy to meet you.

-Mar

·
The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules
1,422 Posts
my HD service dept installed V&H widow exhaust, and they are having difficulty with the SEST. according to the tuner, there is only one base map for the XR and it is way off. no matter which way he goes (rich or lean) there is a significant amount of surging. during our last conversation, my tuner contacted HD, but I do not know if they helped with the tune.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am sorry my first post is an attempt to take information, but I promise to contribute at some point.
Either you have an air leak or something else causing problems, or the guy tuning the bike doesn't know what he's doing. I'm using a PC5 which bypasses the o2 sensors completely, making it extremely difficult to get an accurate A/F reading, and I was able to get a really good map built. Phaedrus gave me some relative numbers to look for, but this was the first HD I'vemapped.
If you're using the SERT, you've got the o2 sensors still in line, so he's able to read the AFR from each cylinder individually so far up the line, he's getting ZERO bleed or crossover from the other.
It sounds a lot like what I've seen at my local HD dealers. Their 'operator' only knows how to upload a pre-built map from HD, and really isn't qualified to do any tuning on his own.
If you had a PC for it, I could send you my map(s).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Either you have an air leak or something else causing problems, or the guy tuning the bike doesn't know what he's doing. I'm using a PC5 which bypasses the o2 sensors completely, making it extremely difficult to get an accurate A/F reading, and I was able to get a really good map built. Phaedrus gave me some relative numbers to look for, but this was the first HD I'vemapped.
If you're using the SERT, you've got the o2 sensors still in line, so he's able to read the AFR from each cylinder individually so far up the line, he's getting ZERO bleed or crossover from the other.
It sounds a lot like what I've seen at my local HD dealers. Their 'operator' only knows how to upload a pre-built map from HD, and really isn't qualified to do any tuning on his own.
why dont you post those maps in the map thread:clap:

·
The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules
1,422 Posts
why dont you post those maps in the map thread:clap:
Whatchu talkin 'bout, Willis?
You can't 'post' maps. I'd have to e-mail it, and to store or open it you'd need the PC5 software-which you can download off DJ's website for f-rrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!
Besides..while I don't mind 'sharing' it with someone who needs help, it's not something I'd post up randomly on the internet. Building maps takes a lot of time, and they cost $$$$$$. Someone would take it and charge others to upload it.
Harley dealers themselves charge big$$ to upload simple saved maps. They're literally maps HD sends 'em(for stock ECU), and they take only seconds to upload, but I've been personally quoted $195 for it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
New map

something else causing problems, or the guy tuning the bike doesn't know what he's doing. I'm using a PC5 which bypasses the o2 sensors completely, making it extremely difficult to get an accurate A/F reading, and I was able to get a really good map built. Phaedrus gave me some relative numbers to look for, but this was the first HD I'vemapped.
If you had a PC for it, I could send you my map(s).[/quote]
Can you send me your map !

·
Registered
76 Posts
sest map

something else causing problems, or the guy tuning the bike doesn't know what he's doing. I'm using a PC5 which bypasses the o2 sensors completely, making it extremely difficult to get an accurate A/F reading, and I was able to get a really good map built. Phaedrus gave me some relative numbers to look for, but this was the first HD I'vemapped.
Can you send me your map ![/QUOTE]

i ' ve just the sest map ref : 176xt006 for stock XR !!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.