XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this on the Cycleworld website...wow....up here in Canada they are just over $14,000 (Canadian... plus exorbitant taxes)..thats about 11,300 U.S...I thought they cost about $10,000 down in the states....

"Was at Bruce rossmeyer's HD in Daytona last week. They have at least a dozen XR1200's for the outrageous price of $16,995. I asked the salesman what's up with the price, I can get one by me for $10, 799. He said they were limited & Rossmeyer's is buying up other dealers stock. Went to Saint Augustine HD today & their black one & only one was sold. I didn't get a chance to ask whether it went to Rossmeyer's. What's the deal with this!!!!! Very sucky"

·
Registered
3 Posts
My local dealer (Cape Fear Harley-Fayetteville NC) has 2 orange, 1 black, and 1 silver XR1200 in stock. They are asking $12,200 with alarm, standard USA 2 year warranty, tax(NC 3% registration fee) and tags delivered out the door. I thought that was a "fair" price. I'm not sure what others are paying....but I assume most USA dealers are selling @ MSRP.:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This goes back to the old addage..............good dealerships of any vehicles won't or shouldn't (some manufacture's prohibit) sell over list price. However things are so fi'n good for these dealerships they seem to not care about price gouging!! It is the same for Chevy's and their what ever current car du jour that's hard to get IE: Z06, ZR1. new Camaro. Guess their doing so well they really don't care what the customer thinks. Oh well at least The Motor Co. hasn't tapped into our hard earned tax dollars yet!! PS: Bruce Rossmeir HD is the Kmart of dealerships, if you aren't going to write a check out in the next 5 min. they will blow you off like a cheap prom dress!! This why you find "used vehicle 0 or very next to nothing on the miles" way over list.

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
It is common for motorcycle (automobile) dealers to mark up new models above MSRP. Why? Because many people will pay more to have the first of anything. They also premount options so they can increase the price. An agressive dealer will buy inventory from the smaller dealer and advertise and feature the product. There are many people that think all dealers suck. Keep this in mind, when you go into the grocery store and buy a can of green beans you are paying a higher percentage of profit than if you pay MSRP for a vehicle, any vehicle. Do you hate the grocer? Everyone has to make a profit. Your pay is the profit of your labor or time isn't it. The people than beat the dealer up and try to not pay profit and they're the ones that have the most problems. The people that pay a fair profit usually have fewer problems and are happier with their purchase. The dealer is also more likely to help that customer as well. Think of it this way, if you don't let people make profit you are more likely to back over your dogma with your "carma". Make a friend , buy a bike and have a good life. Beer thirty gotta go. :D Later,

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
Msrp

I bought my orange bike in Jan for MSRP, they (Heritage HD, Ft Walton Beach, FL) have a black bike for MSRP less $300 (maybe more now)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are RRP AUD$15,500 here which puts them at $17,500 on the road once registration, dealer delivery and so on is paid. All Australian HD dealers list them at the same price. Some unaffiliated dealers have them for a bit more than RRP.

It's why you can't negotiate with the dealer on price, but can get extras thrown in instead. I got the tank and tail bags for free by negotiation.

·
Keeping Them Flying
183 Posts
I paid MSRP for mine @ North Texas Harley in Carrollton. No fuss. According to the Sales rep they sell enough bikes that they don't need to mark them up.? They seem to have a better reputation around here than the other 30 steelers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We retail xr's for $16.750 nz + on road costs,but my boss who is a good bastard gave me mine for a killer deal that I wrote the check out then and there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FatBilly,
Didn't mean to cause a stir I totally understand the whole process. Usually the grocer doesn't mark new types or blends of beans excessively high though. I want dealers and manufactures to make money. I just don't believe in gouging. By the way have you ever seen how Bruce rossmier get's around to his dealerships? Well it ain't on a road glide. He has pilots and a Citation Jet with a Screeming Eagle custom paint job!! Oh well good for him this America god bless him. It's the above retail I have prob with. Enough said going riding!!

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
fountainflyier, I understand what you're saying and the beans are marked up by the retailer, wholesaler, ect. No one person gets it all. The dealers that mark up over list are taking a chance of turning off some buyers. If a guy has a custom painted jet to go to his dealerships he's been doing something right for a while. It's all based on perception and people should not buy where they aren't treated fairly. I a dealer marks something over list because they are in short supply don't pay the price and wait. I paid MSRP for mine but it was one of the "750" and I wanted it and the number plate. Love by bike and get great service from my dealer. I guess that makes me a minority. Can I get some free gas? :D Later,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Based on other bikes, other brands, equivalent or better build-quality,etc...plus relatively long experience around bikes...I think the XR1200 msrp price is too high to start with...and $17,000 (US) is nearly $21,000 (Canadian). If any dealer up here tried charging that much they'd be laughed out (or run out) of town...you can buy a seriously nice exotic bike for $21,000...or two..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I paid 15'300 Swiss Francs for mine...
that equals to 13200 US Dollars...

that's a fair price...

·
I didn't do it
6 Posts
I paid £6,995 for a 2008 model in March. The 2009 model with the spring loaded footrests would have been £7200. I think both these are below the RRP.

Given the current crappy GBP exchange rate against everything else it sound like a pretty good deal.

The only downside is the British weather, overcrowded roads and speed cameras. Perhaps I should live Up-North like Scotty where the air is crisp and clean and the only hazzards are stray sheep.

·
My giant goes with me wherever I go.
14,911 Posts
ha!

Perhaps I should live Up-North like Scotty where the air is crisp and clean and the only hazzards are stray sheep.
Lol! I think living near Scotty could constitute a whole different type of hazzard!! [:)]

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,305 Posts
Perhaps I should live Up-North like Scotty where the air is crisp and clean and the only hazzards are stray sheep.
Phil, the only sheep your gonna find here in Manchester are in the local HD dealers car park on a Saturday and Sunday afternoon :eek:

Lol! I think living near Scotty could constitute a whole different type of hazzard!! [:)]
That would be correct Mr Maggo, its like you know me well and we aint ever met :cool:

·
My giant goes with me wherever I go.
14,911 Posts
dude!

That would be correct Mr Maggo, its like you know me well and we aint ever met :cool:
Lol!! Scotty, I forgot to tell ya.....the girls in my office got all giggly after you phoned.....they thought you sounded quite sexy [:)]....very swish [:)] Ha! I told them you were much too old for them....lol....[:)]....

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
I think the girls in your office get giggly whenever anyone calls you.

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,305 Posts
Lol!! Scotty, I forgot to tell ya.....the girls in my office got all giggly after you phoned.....they thought you sounded quite sexy [:)]....very swish [:)] Ha! I told them you were much too old for them....lol....[:)]....
On my way, flight leaves at 7.45am :D :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts