XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Always on center and standing tall.
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all! I did a web search but I do not trust anyone but the experts (you). Some web results said the Michelin's are so close to balanced that Michelin does not put an alignment mark their tires.

Another website site said the bar code in the bead area is the light spot. Anyway I lined up the bar code on the valve stem and the tire seems really heavy there, even with the old weights on. The factory weights are opposite the stem and I may be 1/4 oz out. I guess I should have checked the balance of the wheel without the tire - lol, I wasn't that smart after I got the tire off.

Anyone have anything constructive to add about this topic?

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
I've heard some manufaturers don't have spots, but I do believe the spots are added after the tire is manufactured, to ge a true light or heavy spot. I don't think a bar code molded into the tire is going to do it.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
And you are removing ALL the old weights before you try to balance the new tire, right? Cause it sounds to me you left them on.

·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And you are removing ALL the old weights before you try to balance the new tire, right? Cause it sounds to me you left them on.
I did leave the old weight on. I just bought a bunch from ebay and I figured I would just supplement the existing weight.

Why whats wrong with supplementing the weight if it appears the weight is in the correct space but it is light?

·
This space for rent
444 Posts
The old weight is to balance the old tire/wheel combo. With a new tire, you have a new light/heavy spot. The old weights will distort things, and have you adding more weights than neccesary. Course, you could strip off all the weight and use dynabeads or airsoft pellets.

If Michelins have a light spot, it'll be red dot.

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
The old weight is to balance the old tire/wheel combo. With a new tire, you have a new light/heavy spot. The old weights will distort things, and have you adding more weights than neccesary. Course, you could strip off all the weight and use dynabeads or airsoft pellets.
I use airsoft pellets in my Jeep. Not sure they would work great in a street bike.

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
I may try that in my car. What is the ratio to size?
I bought the biggest box of high-density pellets I could find at Wal-Mart. Then I divided them by 5, by weight. Then installed in 4 tires and spare. In other words, I have no idea. But there is a lot of info on the web about it. I'm guessing I have somewhere around 5 or 6 ounces in 31x10.50-15's. But it's really just a guess.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Just get the tyre balanced properly. But you should remove the pulley to do so. It's a real pain in the rear to get it right with that big piece hanging there.

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
Just get the tyre balanced properly. But you should remove the pulley to do so. It's a real pain in the rear to get it right with that big piece hanging there.
Is it such a pain because the pulley is not balanced? If so, I would balance with the pulley on.

·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have two kits of Dina-Beads that were not used from my first VTX change out and I can use them in the XR but I am concerned with warranty issues. Dunlops are voided.

I called the MM and the motorcycle division is closed for training; what? Anyway, the owners manual for the M-tires does not identify Balancing Beads. http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/pubs/fitment2012.pdf

This is what it says:

"MICHELIN DOES

NOT RECOMMEND THE USE OF LIQUID BALANCE

FLUIDS OR SEALANTS. TIRES AND TUBES INTO WHICH

THESE HAVE BEEN INJECTED WILL NOT BE COVERED UNDER

WARRANTY.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Is it such a pain becasue the pulley is not balanced? If so, I would balance with the pulley on.
Mostly because the balancing machine's axle is only fixed at one side, and that pulley can make it wobble. Turning the wheel around wasn't an option because the clamps were then touching the pulley instead of the tyre.
With that pulley installed, we needed to keep adding 5gr weights everywhere.

·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going to balance it on a horizontal axle shaft with the sprocket on it. Next time I'll check the balance of the wheel without the tire.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I guess that the old fashioned way of balancing a wheel might be the best for those big pulleys and brake discs.

on-stand.jpg

edit: pic too big, site crashing, ...

·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The inner diameter of the sprocket should permit it to be installed on a bubble balancer to check it and maybe correct it. For all I know it is the sprocket that is out. BUT, many people I speak with say they don't even bother with balancing and cannot even notice if the tire is out. My buddy who lent me the spoons said his '86 (I think) Sporty will vibrate your fillings loose at idle or a cruising speed so why would he waste his money on balancing, lol.

·
www.jp2code.net
20,696 Posts
I use airsoft pellets in my Jeep. Not sure they would work great in a street bike.
Speaking of which (Note: Off Topic Alert!), I was spinning my rear wheel the other day while it was up on jack stands, and I heard what sounded like little pebbles inside the tire rolling to the bottom as the tire spins. Anyone have a clue what this would be? Maybe some internal tits wear away, then roll and bounce around for the life of the tire. I don't know, and I'm not going to pull my tire off just to satisfy my curiosity.

·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think it is small bits of powder, dust and trash that eventually forms into those beads. I've seen that stuff before but didn't pay it any mind.

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
Speaking of which (Note: Off Topic Alert!), I was spinning my rear wheel the other day while it was up on jack stands, and I heard what sounded like little pebbles inside the tire rolling to the bottom as the tire spins. Anyone have a clue what this would be? Maybe some internal tits wear away, then roll and bounce around for the life of the tire. I don't know, and I'm not going to pull my tire off just to satisfy my curiosity.
You should hear when I roll to a stop in the Jeep and several pounds of bb's start falling to the bottom of the tire. People in cars look at me strange.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts