XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new XR-1200 has a bit of play in the throttle at fully-closed position. I have to turn it slightly before it starts accellerating. My first XR-1200 didn't have this "play".

Do I need to adjust the cables or is simply adjusting the Throttle Friction Screw enough (reference page 1-78 of the 2009 Sportster Service Manual).

Thanks for any insight you can give!

Fred E

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
Sounds like you need to take up the slack with the throttle cable a bit. That should help. :D Later,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I adjusted them according to the instructions in the Service Manual and the throttle is much tighter.

Too bad my dealership didn't bother to take the bike on a pre-delivery test ride or at least give it a pre-delivery inspection. Stay away from Biker Bob's Harley Davidson in Taylor, MI!!!

Thanks to all who replied!

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
Before you completely throw your dealer under the bus on this, I have found over the years that everyone seems to have a little bit different opinion about the adjusting throttle cable play. On top of that different rider like a different feel. I seem to like mine tighter than many other riders, same with the clutch adjustment. Just something to think about.

·
Metal cannot think, therefore it cannot be held re
821 Posts
Before you completely throw your dealer under the bus on this, I have found over the years that everyone seems to have a little bit different opinion about the adjusting throttle cable play. On top of that different rider like a different feel. I seem to like mine tighter than many other riders, same with the clutch adjustment. Just something to think about.
Same as that. One thing I always do before giving a customer his bike back after a service or a build is get him to sit on the bike and offer to adjust anything such as cables, gear lever, or bars. It only takes a few minutes and generates so much goodwill. You'd think that main dealers would offer to do this on a handover on a new bike, but few seem to do it anymore.

·
Metal cannot think, therefore it cannot be held re
821 Posts
And another thought. Not trying to teach anyones granny how to suck eggs, but bothering to adjust the linkage on the XR gear lever to suit yourself makes for a much easier and quicker shift.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your comments. I thought about my remarks before posting them. The problem was not "looseness" or "tightness" but actual play in the throttle which the dealer should have fixed before delivering the bike. In other words, the throttle cable tension was not adjusted in normal operating parameters (at least those specified in the 2009 Sportster Service Manual). In any event, I apologize if my remarks about that dealer were offensive to anyone.

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
I think that is the reason for the 1000 miles service because many things may need to be adjusted or looked at as it wears in. :innocent: Later,

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
Thanks for your comments. I thought about my remarks before posting them. The problem was not "looseness" or "tightness" but actual play in the throttle which the dealer should have fixed before delivering the bike. In other words, the throttle cable tension was not adjusted in normal operating parameters (at least those specified in the 2009 Sportster Service Manual). In any event, I apologize if my remarks about that dealer were offensive to anyone.
Wasn't offended by any means, I'm the last one to stick up for the dealers :D When I ran our dealership ,we had customers that liked a lot of play in the throttle before anything happened, other, like me like just about none and that was my only point.

·
The older I get, the faster I was!
63 Posts
Any way to make it (throttle) a touch less sensitive. Everytime I go to hit the right turn signal, it turns the throttle, and almost throws me off the back.

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
Any way to make it (throttle) a touch less sensitive. Everytime I go to hit the right turn signal, it turns the throttle, and almost throws me off the back.
A lot of people seem to have this complaint with the XR, including Cycle World in their comparison test. I never noticed it, but then maybe I've just had so many Harley's that I'm used to it.

·
WTF???
15,969 Posts
I personally think the throttle is fine on the bike, it's the damn right blinker button that is in the wrong place.

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
Can't argue with that.
Having owned just about every brand of semi mainstream motorcycle made I always thought the Harley turn signal switches were the most logical, and still do. Not to mention the best auto cancel in the business. AND that my BMW ones were the dumbest!

·
WTF???
15,969 Posts
Now i understand your problem with torque, you aint had a Harley before :D
Scotty, Scotty, Scotty, I love the torque, I'm just tryin' to say that you need the HP to go with the Torque to get that feeling of "Torque" we love so much. A small Ford tractor has as much or more Torque than our XR's do, but they don't pull away from a turn nearly as well as our XR's. Why? Because they don't have the HorsePower that our XR's have. The guys that say HP,HP,HP: Wrong! The guys that say Torque, Torque, Torque: Wrong! Repeat after me; HP+Torque, HP+Torque, HP+Torque!!! Or for you Scotty; Torque+HP, Torque+HP, Torque+HP!!!

·
WTF???
15,969 Posts
Having owned just about every brand of semi mainstream motorcycle made I always thought the Harley turn signal switches were the most logical, and still do. Not to mention the best auto cancel in the business. AND that my BMW ones were the dumbest!
The concept sounds logical, left for left, right for right, but my right hand is usually too busy with the throttle to be able to reach the right blinker button. And I can fool my auto-cancel anytime I want by nailing the throttle after the turn. Don't know how or why the auto-cancel works, but it only works about 90% of the time for me. It also doesn't work when i turn into my driveway and stop.

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
The concept sounds logical, left for left, right for right, but my right hand is usually too busy with the throttle to be able to reach the right blinker button. And I can fool my auto-cancel anytime I want by nailing the throttle after the turn. Don't know how or why the auto-cancel works, but it only works about 90% of the time for me. It also doesn't work when i turn into my driveway and stop.
It has a couple of parameters in the brain that take into account time and speed. When you turn on your blinker, make the turn and stop (like in your driveway), it considers that the same as turning it on and stopping at a red light for instance, so that is one time it doesn't work. Accelerating away from a turn should turn it off.
I have never had any trouble bumping the switch off, while working the throttle, maybe it's a "Learned" technique. Still beats the stupid BMW system of three separate switches and no auto cancel.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.