XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· used ta could
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody use one of these on a regular basis? My new bucket came with one but I haven’t tried it. It’s supposed to create a space, and be made of a material, that keep the shield from fogging. It also warns that it should not be used at night.
Tire Font Vehicle Rectangle Publication

· Super Moderator
3,046 Posts
I do.

Works ok, but still can fog on rainy himid days.

I do like it more than a plain shield.

A clear pinlock in a clear shield works fine at night.

Reactions: ytman

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
This gives me a flashback to when I uused something similarto what you have, it was from a company called Fog City, and it worked great keeping the inside from fogging up.
Proshield (fogcity.nl)

Give yours one a try, as it should be removeable if you don't like it, but you might leave it in. Do you have a few sets of shields with that new "bucket"? Looked up Pinock:
Lenses | Pinlock

Reactions: ytman

· Registered
841 Posts
I've used a clear one for about 5 or 6 years now, think it's a great bit of kit, but you have to be careful when fitting it that you get the seal in the right place or else moisture will get between it and the visor. Don't need a tinted one as I use a HJC helmet with in-built sun visor (y)

· used ta could
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What an ignorant fool I've been. I've been riding along with my Pinlock ready shield reluctant to put the inner shield on. Even to the point of being bothered by the pins in my peripheral vision. Welll....I had my first rain day in a while. Just like always...shield fogged...cracked open...wind and water pelting my nose and eyes....trying to tilt my head down far enough to stop the torture and still see. Ok. Let's try this Pinlock thingy out.... fast forward.
Today I rode to work in a torrential downpour for most of the way. Over an hour of nonstop rain. I discovered a few things.My Tourmaster rain suit worked very well. Gloves, even rain gloves, are really hard to get back on after they get wet. Waterproof boots, if they develop a leak, do a really good job of holding water IN, and lastly, the Pinlock shield is AWESOME. I kept it closed the whole time, except once or twice when I thought I might be able to see better with it slightly open. Wrong. I can't imagine the seal hasn't been compromised in some way with the quantity of water it was subjected to and all the thumb squeegeeing but I highly recommend this set up for anyone that gets to ride in moist conditions. The darned thing just didn't fog up.

· Registered
44 Posts
They work really, really well to prevent fogging, but I have pretty terrible astigmatism and the pinlock shield exacerbates the light distortion I get at night, so I typically only use them during the day. There is nothing better for stopping fogged visors though!

· used ta could
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have noticed a little bit of double vision at night from reflectors on the road. I can see how it would really mess with you especially if you are wearing glasses. I was able to turn my head slightly and get rid of it but I would like to take it off as soon as possible

1 - 9 of 9 Posts