XR1200 Owners Group banner
14201 - 14220 of 14235 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
2003 LA to Barstow to Las Vegas District 37 Dual Sport Ride on my 1997 XR400/426. Took almost 15 minutes to roll the chart up in my box. The good old days of CA Dual-Sporting!!!

Asphalt Knee Road surface Recreation Event

Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Plant Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
In 2003 when I went on that ride, Garmin was the new item, and a few had them. For those that had it, they still to download the maps, I think also had to press a button to digitally scroll through the map as they progressed, instead of rolling the paper on the box. Good times almost 20 years ago!!!

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,627 Posts
Hey Cory, at least yours came as a strip.
Ours came on a sheet of paper we had to cut into strips and tape together.
Great fun if you taped the wrong strip in the wrong order. LOL ( been there, done that)

·
Administrator
12,919 Posts
2003 LA to Barstow to Las Vegas District 37 Dual Sport Ride on my 1997 XR400/426. Took almost 15 minutes to roll the chart up in my box. The good old days of CA Dual-Sporting!!!
Yep, you got it, Enduro Roll Chart. Bonus points since you have used it.

I think it was used for Motorcycle Enduro Races, during the 70s and 80s
You were able keep track of checkpoints mileage.
Yea bonus points awarded, not that you used one, but that you knew, and were at the top of the road racing game at the time.
Cheers!

Geno explain yours, I understand Coreys.
Corey's was the same as mine, used for Enduro racing basically an event that that had you averaging speed over various timed intervals with random checkpoints. If you were early (burned the check) or late at the check you were penalized points. Winner had the least points. My team name was "Team Late and Burn 'em".

Bonus points just because.................

Good old roll chart.
Had one on my Yamaha IT's
You got it! Bonus points awarded.

If you have one sitting on a shelf or in a box I'll bet it has the last chart used still in it.
I didn't think to check that. So, I rolled it back.....................Man that chart was from the "Rock 'N' Rooster Enduro back in 1-21-90. It was so long ago, I cant even remember if it was an AMA D-37 0r D-38 event. I used to ride both. After that enduro I went with one of the ICO racing computers that eliminated the need for the "ancient" roll charts. Bonus Points for you!
Tire Automotive tire Rectangle Font Wheel

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Added info:
That LA B2V event was not a race, but 3 of us from our 13 rider group hit all the hard routes, and had a blast. It was a “Ride For Kids”, so I made handlebar streamers for the group. Riding a while in the dirt, everyone and their bikes look the same. We all looked like dirt. The streamers were a big hit, and many other riders knew our group from them. Good times!!!

Reactions: hhauto

·
Lightning is calling me…….she says “Thunder – you
235 Posts
Never understood enduros and enduro riders - timed starts, timekeeping, directions, penalties for being too fast (crazy!).

I raced desert for years which (to me) is real off-road racing - everybody starts at once, go as fast as you can, first to the finish wins, period!

·
1,627 Posts
Never understood enduros and enduro riders - timed starts, timekeeping, directions, penalties for being too fast (crazy!).

I raced desert for years which (to me) is real off-road racing - everybody starts at once, go as fast as you can, first to the finish wins, period!
Try averaging 24mph through a cedar swamp.🥵
Love desert racing. I was at the last Score Fireworks 250 in 1997 and the Kartech 400 in 1999.
No deserts in Ontario, damn. I would rather be in Johnson Valley than LA.

·
1,627 Posts

·
Administrator
12,919 Posts
OK, I washed it and polished the chrome (cough). This is a pic is about 1.5 miles from home................

Water Sky Wheel Tire Plant

This is the Snake River. There was still snow on the peaks surrounding our valley, but weather lately has been terrific. It's funny that the closet traffic signal to my house is at least 15 miles away. The speed limit and stop signs appear to be suggestions, as I did not see a single vehicle going either way for the first 5 miles of my ride.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
@geno
How far out from your Castle, have you ridden? Any good backroads?

14201 - 14220 of 14235 Posts