XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
How did I get this old?!
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally pulled the trigger on an XR1200 (orange). I was planning to wait until I had another year-end bonus under my belt, and had the washer and dryer I bought my wife (to grease the planks for my XR purchase) paid off, but a local dealer was selling their 2009's at invoice ($9700) and I couldn't resist! My past bikes have been a 1980 Yamaha SR500, an '82 Yamaha XV920R (TR1 for you limeys), a 1984 XLX61 Sportster (modified, but long dead in the back of my garage) and a highly sporterized 1995 Triumph Thunderbird - my current ride. I added a 6-speed tranny, 6 piston Harrison front brake, K&N/Dynojet Stage 1 engine mods, "off-road" silencer, WP/Racetech suspension, sport handlebers. etc., etc., etc., but at 14 years old and 50,000+ miles I needed one more bike before I hang it up ( I'm 62). I've been reading the forum for a while, and am glad to be an "official" member!

·
Scooter Trash
194 Posts
Welcome aboard PaulO. 62 and one more bike before you hang it up? I'm 64 and plan on a lot more bikes. Have 2 and looking for a 3rd. Enjoy the XR

·
How did I get this old?!
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Willy-
I'd like to think there'll be more, but I tend to think bikes, like friends, should be few and well chosen. I tend to keep my bikes for quite a while and do extensive "personalization." First mod's on the XR will be either the narrow Sportster bars or the Night Rod bars - I'll just have to buy both and see what fits. I'll likely saw 3/4" off the ends of the Night Rod bars, as I like mine quite narrow. I'll put on the long stemmed black rectangular mirrors, I know they're big and not too stylish, but I like to use them to see what's behind me! Then, probably, the Saddleman seat. Eventually I'll do slip-on mufflers - probably the 94 decible Termignioni's - with whatever fuel controller seems appropriate. I'd appreciate feedback on various exhaust system sound levels - I want to let the "music" out, but not be obnoxious. Eventually I'll do the suspension, though the stock parts seem to work pretty well. I notice that Harley has a "performance" suspension off the XR1200X for 2010 - for $1500 - but that's for both forks and shocks. The YSS units look pretty good, too. I'm leaning toward the orange front fender, but have considered the carbon-fiber fender and belt guards as well. For me, obviously, a lot of the fun in a bike is setting it up. That can take years, and I won't start another one until the XR is perfect (as my T-Bird now is).

Paul O.
St. Paul, Minnesota

·
Scooter Trash
194 Posts
Paul: Good points but at 62 you're still a youngster. I see at least a couple more bikes in your future.:)
Willy-
I'd like to think there'll be more, but I tend to think bikes, like friends, should be few and well chosen. I tend to keep my bikes for quite a while and do extensive "personalization." First mod's on the XR will be either the narrow Sportster bars or the Night Rod bars - I'll just have to buy both and see what fits. I'll likely saw 3/4" off the ends of the Night Rod bars, as I like mine quite narrow. I'll put on the long stemmed black rectangular mirrors, I know they're big and not too stylish, but I like to use them to see what's behind me! Then, probably, the Saddleman seat. Eventually I'll do slip-on mufflers - probably the 94 decible Termignioni's - with whatever fuel controller seems appropriate. I'd appreciate feedback on various exhaust system sound levels - I want to let the "music" out, but not be obnoxious. Eventually I'll do the suspension, though the stock parts seem to work pretty well. I notice that Harley has a "performance" suspension off the XR1200X for 2010 - for $1500 - but that's for both forks and shocks. The YSS units look pretty good, too. I'm leaning toward the orange front fender, but have considered the carbon-fiber fender and belt guards as well. For me, obviously, a lot of the fun in a bike is setting it up. That can take years, and I won't start another one until the XR is perfect (as my T-Bird now is).

Paul O.
St. Paul, Minnesota

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.