XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you look at them side by side it sure looks like the XR could have been the prototype for the PA.

It would not be too difficult to add a windshield, dual sport tires and hand guards. A set of soft bags. Longer shocks for increase travel and ground clearance. That would also decrease the rake a little. Weight is about the same. Definitely not for single track work but might suffice for light off road adventures which is really what the big bore adventure bike segment is about...

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
3,497 Posts
There are similarities of tank shape (if not function) & stance, sure. They both have inverted forks & brakes from an off shore maker. Beyond those aspects it's hard for me to see any design influence of the XR on the Pan Am. Personally I see more V-Rod in the Pan Am than anything else, & that's in the engine dept. obviously. And no bad thing either, much as I enjoy and admire the XR's air cooled simplicity and incredible longevity- first appearing on the market in 1957 so only a year younger than me...

J.

·
Registered
XR1200 2009
19 Posts
When you look at them side by side it sure looks like the XR could have been the prototype for the PA.

It would not be too difficult to add a windshield, dual sport tires and hand guards. A set of soft bags. Longer shocks for increase travel and ground clearance. That would also decrease the rake a little. Weight is about the same. Definitely not for single track work but might suffice for light off road adventures which is really what the big bore adventure bike segment is about...

I can see that in the silhouette of the two
The shape is definitely similar

View attachment 252009

View attachment 252010

1 - 3 of 3 Posts