XR1200 Owners Group banner

Ordering the XR1200X suspension

21K views 47 replies 14 participants last post by  Cybrdyke 
G
#1 ·
I'll be putting in my order for the fully adjustable suspension upgrade from the XR1200X tomorrow. The parts guy says it will be 3-4 days till they come in. I'm going to do an aggressive street ride this weekend so I can really compare the new parts once they're installed and dialed in. My XR is all stock at the moment.

G
#28 ·
Whats the damage? Look forward to your thoughts on the difference. Good Luck.
Damage on eBay and about anywhere discounting was 1200, I bought mainly for the forks as 1200 for forks is a move in right direction, though the rears an improvement not as much as forks and truth be told if I could have bought parts separate I would have bought just forks and about any of half a dozen good shocks out there.

#8 ·
$1500 is for the front AND rear suspension, so actually isn't a bad price considering you get a set of PBF front forks apparently.
Nothing wrong with Showa suspnsion per se, just cheap Showa suspension. There are plenty of sports bikes running around and handling very well on Showa kit. The Showa forks on the new ZX6 are superb.

However, I wonder if you can just order the forks and not the shocks?

G
#12 ·
$1500 is for the front AND rear suspension, so actually isn't a bad price considering you get a set of PBF front forks apparently.
Nothing wrong with Showa suspnsion per se, just cheap Showa suspension. There are plenty of sports bikes running around and handling very well on Showa kit. The Showa forks on the new ZX6 are superb.
Exactly my thoughts. I got the whole setup for $1200, so since I really wasn't keen on spending the same money (or more) to send my forks somewhere to get machined and upgraded, I thought I'd give this a try. And since I need rear shocks as well...everything is a bit too convenient to pass up.

#13 ·
Harley being Harley I would imagine if you can't at the moment you will be able to get them seperately. Suppose you had an X damaged in a crash and needed just forks? I suppose they could (and likely might) sell them as seperate tubes but my guess is you will be able to get them. I did this when I wanted 1200S forks for my Roadster, it wasn't an upgrade kit per se, just ordered left and right fork.

#16 ·
Oh man, now what to do...

I was leaning towards MMetal's Ohlins drop in forks, but everything I read about the BPS forks on other bikes is too much to not consider. And the relatively cheap price, wow.

I am really leaning towards the devil I know, (Ohlins) even though they are much more dear. Guess I get to wait with the others for a few of you brave pioneers to review the HD bits.:whistling:

G
#17 ·
Just make sure you guys weigh at least 185 lbs. I have the HD upgraded sport suspension, and even with the lowest setting preload front and rear, the system is oversprung for me...but I only weigh 140 lbs. I will be looking into whether I can have these resprung for my weight. If not, they may end up being for sale as I would get ones made up for me (probably Bitubo or Ohlins) set up for my weight.

Bones

#18 ·
Typical H-D shocks - Oversprung and underdamped.

Just because they 'look' like decent shocks with remote reservoirs doesn't mean that they are any good ;)

All stock shocks are a compromise because they have to cater for a huge range of buyers and riders. if you want decent suspension then you need either something with enough adjustment to make it suit you, or a set of shocks specifically built for your weight :)

The XR1200X forks though are extremely good (in fact far better than I ever thought H-D would fit, and better than fitted to the Buell range!).

#19 ·
The shocks that come with the Harley suspension kit are good. I had Bi-Turbos remote shocks and tried the Showa shocks along with the new forks. The Showa shocks are adjustable as far as dampning and can be dialed in. The problem I had with them is the springs are too light for my ponderous girth and the spring adjustment is done with only 5 settings like most street bikes. I'm back with the Bi-Turbos to get the infinate spring adjustment. In fact since reinstalling the Bi-Turbos I have backed way off the spring preload with the new forks. Now you can corner very agressively with confidence. A lighter rider fill find the Showa shocks work great if the springs suit their weight. I may put the Showas on eBay. :D Later,

G
#21 ·
Has anyone had the HD upgraded shocks resprung? I ask, because when discussing the severe over sprung nature of them for MY weight, my HD tech said that he has a custom suspension guy who could rebuild my HD upgraded shocks for me this winter, with custom springing, and maybe even redoing the internals on the forks if needed. Not sure how much $$ it will cost, but since the forks are good, it might be a decent option rather than going with something like Ohlins.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Bones

#22 ·
I wish I could find some springs that are heavier. I have the Bi-Turbos but they aren't as smooth as the Showas. The BT shocks are available with stiffer springs and better adjustment. I'll research the spring deal and let you know. :D Later,

#24 ·
Fat Billy, you said the Showa shocks weren't good for your weight.......I'm about 225lbs, you think they'll be OK for my weight ?

I'm seriously considering the Fork and Shock kit from Showa thru Harley. I ride the XR hard and the stock suspension sucks, even though I've learned to live with it for a year now. I can still keep up with my fast friends on sportbikes, only time the bike is a real handful is in the really tight twisties.

Anyone have more links or reviews about the Showa Suspension Upgrade ?

Fat Billy, in your opinion it was worth it ?

Thanks a lot !

#25 ·
Rad, The shocks were great but the springs were too soft and only had stepped adjustment. The forks are the bomb and worth every penny. A set of forks and shocks for $1500.00 (retail). The forks are about a $1000 by them selves. Many of the aftermarkey kits are that much and many only have dampning on one side like stock. Just buy the Harley forks and be happy. A great deal from Harley for a change. Get 'em! :D Later,

#26 ·
I'm roughly 235lbs, and could barely get 30mm of sag on the lightest preload adjustment on the shocks. The forks are sprung a lot softer, and as expected I'm a turn out from full-in to get 35mm of sag.
You Billy..
Check Yo PM!

#30 ·
I called the Tampa Harley Shop, Brandon HD, to ask if the shocks are an inch longer.......they didn't know.

I already ordered the suspension kit from them for $1200, including tank bag, tail bag and rear rack for when I might go sport touring.

Anyone know if the upgrade rear Showa shocks are an inch longer ?

#31 ·
I called the Tampa Harley Shop, Brandon HD, to ask if the shocks are an inch longer.......they didn't know.

I already ordered the suspension kit from them for $1200, including tank bag, tail bag and rear rack for when I might go sport touring.

Anyone know if the upgrade rear Showa shocks are an inch longer ?
NO! they are the same length as stock - I stand corrected .375" longer

#34 ·
Thanks for the tip. I checked them out, yeah, 2" taller in the rear, and quickens steering, I like that.

We'll see, after I put the Showa's on, if I feel I need it in the future.

#38 ·
OK, another question.

Has anyone who put the upgraded Showa forks and rear shocks on, had anything scraping the pavement when riding in tight twisties ?

Or better yet, anyone put on the upgrade and was scraping parts before, but after the Showa is now not scraping parts ?

#39 ·
Never scraped anything even when the forks lowered. I'm sure the stock pipe would drag but my QDs haven't. If you are not dragging anything stock the Showa kit will not allow dragging in stock position unless it's the pipe. :D Later,

G
#40 ·
you can buy this kit for %20 off

Shop around and ask for a discount. I ordered my around the holidays when one of the shops near me was offering 20% discount. I actually got a little better, but I would have done it for %20.

I should get mine this week some time. I did not get it yet because HD was closed the last week of December for ordering specialty parts.

LFLR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.