XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be putting in my order for the fully adjustable suspension upgrade from the XR1200X tomorrow. The parts guy says it will be 3-4 days till they come in. I'm going to do an aggressive street ride this weekend so I can really compare the new parts once they're installed and dialed in. My XR is all stock at the moment.

·
Cincinnati
161 Posts
It's going to take a long time to save $1500 in H-D Visa Cash Chrome.. That's the only way I'm going to get this.. Now all I need to do is put $150,000 on my Visa...:clap:
Robert, where do you live in Columbus ? My sister-in-law is in Hilliard .. just curious

Ssscooter

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,311 Posts

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
$1500 is for the front AND rear suspension, so actually isn't a bad price considering you get a set of PBF front forks apparently.
Nothing wrong with Showa suspnsion per se, just cheap Showa suspension. There are plenty of sports bikes running around and handling very well on Showa kit. The Showa forks on the new ZX6 are superb.

However, I wonder if you can just order the forks and not the shocks?

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
Damn it, Where's my visa card?:scooter: Later,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$1500 is for the front AND rear suspension, so actually isn't a bad price considering you get a set of PBF front forks apparently.
Nothing wrong with Showa suspnsion per se, just cheap Showa suspension. There are plenty of sports bikes running around and handling very well on Showa kit. The Showa forks on the new ZX6 are superb.
Exactly my thoughts. I got the whole setup for $1200, so since I really wasn't keen on spending the same money (or more) to send my forks somewhere to get machined and upgraded, I thought I'd give this a try. And since I need rear shocks as well...everything is a bit too convenient to pass up.

·
Registered
299 Posts

Harley being Harley I would imagine if you can't at the moment you will be able to get them seperately. Suppose you had an X damaged in a crash and needed just forks? I suppose they could (and likely might) sell them as seperate tubes but my guess is you will be able to get them. I did this when I wanted 1200S forks for my Roadster, it wasn't an upgrade kit per se, just ordered left and right fork.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

This is exactly my question too. I think you can. At least in europe. As it's going to be a stock part on the XRX. I'm interested in the front forks too. Heard nothing bad about the Big Piston Forks yet. Just wonder about the price...

·
Joe Mama!
10 Posts
Oh man, now what to do...

I was leaning towards MMetal's Ohlins drop in forks, but everything I read about the BPS forks on other bikes is too much to not consider. And the relatively cheap price, wow.

I am really leaning towards the devil I know, (Ohlins) even though they are much more dear. Guess I get to wait with the others for a few of you brave pioneers to review the HD bits.:whistling:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just make sure you guys weigh at least 185 lbs. I have the HD upgraded sport suspension, and even with the lowest setting preload front and rear, the system is oversprung for me...but I only weigh 140 lbs. I will be looking into whether I can have these resprung for my weight. If not, they may end up being for sale as I would get ones made up for me (probably Bitubo or Ohlins) set up for my weight.

Bones

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
Typical H-D shocks - Oversprung and underdamped.

Just because they 'look' like decent shocks with remote reservoirs doesn't mean that they are any good ;)

All stock shocks are a compromise because they have to cater for a huge range of buyers and riders. if you want decent suspension then you need either something with enough adjustment to make it suit you, or a set of shocks specifically built for your weight :)

The XR1200X forks though are extremely good (in fact far better than I ever thought H-D would fit, and better than fitted to the Buell range!).

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
The shocks that come with the Harley suspension kit are good. I had Bi-Turbos remote shocks and tried the Showa shocks along with the new forks. The Showa shocks are adjustable as far as dampning and can be dialed in. The problem I had with them is the springs are too light for my ponderous girth and the spring adjustment is done with only 5 settings like most street bikes. I'm back with the Bi-Turbos to get the infinate spring adjustment. In fact since reinstalling the Bi-Turbos I have backed way off the spring preload with the new forks. Now you can corner very agressively with confidence. A lighter rider fill find the Showa shocks work great if the springs suit their weight. I may put the Showas on eBay. :D Later,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The shocks that come with the Harley suspension kit are good. I had Bi-Turbos remote shocks and tried the Showa shocks along with the new forks. The Showa shocks are adjustable as far as dampning and can be dialed in. The problem I had with them is the springs are too light for my ponderous girth and the spring adjustment is done with only 5 settings like most street bikes. I'm back with the Bi-Turbos to get the infinate spring adjustment. In fact since reinstalling the Bi-Turbos I have backed way off the spring preload with the new forks. Now you can corner very agressively with confidence. A lighter rider fill find the Showa shocks work great if the springs suit their weight. I may put the Showas on eBay. :D Later,

FB,

Can you PM me if your are going to sell your X Showas?

TY

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.