XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

I've been riding on and off for 14 years and I am thinking of getting back in the saddle long term this time with a used 2009 xr1200 with approx. 9k miles. There's a nice looking one for about 9k USD, what are somethings I should be looking for?

I've added a few pics from the seller, what do you guys think?

(I am in Korea btw and it's either this or a husky svartpilen 701)

Kind regards,

·
Let's Ride
283 Posts
It's a good looking bike. That is your basic XR model (non X version). It has a nice Super trapp pipe on it. Bars, Tach, Clutch cable are not factory (not that there is anything wrong with them) just wanted to let you know this. Personally the price seams a little high to me. Another XR with low mileage (my 09 had 2500 miles on it when I bought it 1-1/2 years ago). If it was an XR1200X, then maybe so on the price. They are great bikes, good luck with the purchase or trying to find another one. And Welcome to the forum from Alabama.

·
Let's Ride
283 Posts
One more thing,You can pop off the left side cover and see if it has a tuner on it. "Sometimes" that is where they are located, but not always (I put mine under the seat pan). It would be good to know if it has one or not. These bikes run a little lean from the factory which makes them run a little on the "Hot" side. To me, it's not a big deal if it has a tuner or not, these bikes run great.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
That XR looks to be in very nice shape. Like Chipmaker said the tuner is something you want with those pipes and with it you will get the gain in HP that they offer. The fuel tank does not look to be swollen (some thing you can research on the forum). Think about replacing the original rubber brake lines with stainless ones. Also improving the suspension will give you the most bang for the buck on the XR.

·
Premium Member
2009 XR1200
60 Posts
Good looking bike but I have yet to see one that wasn't. Price is high for the US but I don't know for Korea. Availability might be a big factor. You might also want to check around your area for people who can service it for you unless you are mechanically inclined. I have only owned an XR for about 7 months and I'm still excited every time I see it or ride. A lot of the guys on this owners group have years of riding experience with a lot of racing and for the most part they are very happy with their XR's. Most of the problems I have ran into were created by previous owners and not a bike problem. Hope you join us as an owner. Best of luck. You can count on finding help with most any problem here.

·
Super Moderator
8,287 Posts
Welcome from Connecticut, USA. That looks to be a very nice example of the species.
$9000 seems a little high, but I don’t know the Korean market at all. Good luck with your decision.
Regards
Roy

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,964 Posts
tae1822,
+ 1 on all the above comments. And check the steering lockstops, forks and handle bar alignment for any signs of crash damage, as replacing the stock tach/speedo unit is a most unusual mod- unless the bike has been crashed. Otw it looks straight and clean. You'll have to decide for yourself if $9K is acceptable in the Korean context.

J.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Get it! Join the “Less than a year” Owners Club on here.

Reactions: tae1822

·
Registered
144 Posts
Howdy Tae, from across the pod!

I love this bike, it's great in the mountains and carries a lot of cred among harley riders. Not so much fun in the stop and go city traffic, but the noise, vibrations, and theatre of it all make up for any shortcomings it might have. Nice pipes on it too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. :D

Korea has a relatively strong protectionist consumer market for local goods hence the high price on everything imported. I believe the added tax for imported foreign vehicles is approximately 30% of the vehicle cost or KBB cost with an additional 3 K for emissions, sound, and registration.

Really interested in picking this up as my "forever ride".

·
Premium Member
2009 XR1200
60 Posts
Hey Tae. With that low milage you should have a lot of years of fantastic riding. It should also be relatively trouble free and you will be checked out by most other bikers anywhere you go. In the past I always sell my bike before buying another. This time if I get the urge to buy another one the XR will stay and I will become a two bike owner.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,964 Posts
In that case, we understand the highish purchase price. But that also means higher resale value so it should be a case of swings & roundabouts. I'd get it- an XR offers more mojo per mile than almost anything else on 2 wheels. It's also the case that we may be on the cusp (at long last) of some recognition of the XR's uniqueness & collectibility, meaning appreciation. And, I stress this, the forum is 5 star for quality guys who love the bike and are super helpful. So, all in all, I think you'd be on a winner picking up that example. Right color too.

J.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
On paper the 701 is going to look better, but If you are thinking of keeping the bike a long time, I would get the XR over the 701. The XR is bullet proof, is a twin, should hold its value better, can handle high miles, is pretty versatile, and subjectively looks better. Just look at some of the miles on XRs on this site, I think there is a thread. I own a KTM so am not bashing the KTM/Husky brand. I just would favor the XR over the 701 single for long term ownership.

·
This cat has seven left..
137 Posts
I echo many comments previously posted and would not even hesitate. As far as price goes; what could possibly do, a $1000.00 better? As Shackman points out, it’s mojo per mile.

And, it’s fast orange! (y)

·
Registered
690 Posts
If you're happy with the price, I'd just check it for any signs of crash damage, as mentioned above due to the clocks being changed, if dropped on the left the gear change shaft could be bent, not a big problem as you can straighten it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha, "go fast" orange, got it!

I am not much of a mechanic so I'd probably bring it in to the Harley shop or download the manual and take it to a recommended mechanic. They tend to be a bit "russian" with torque specs and magically have more bolts than they started out with.

All in all, this sounds like a good buy. I'll try to talk the guy down and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Its an Experience to make your first Ride alone on Sunday.There are so many better Bikes in the Market but................................Orange times rules.(y).Go for it.

Check the lower RH Leg ,Clamp of the Axle.some are overtighten to Dead.
The Exaust is nice but only on the Straight....))).You need a good Plummer.
The Clutch cable is far too Long.Use a Cable tie to fix.
Check Oillevel,must doew to Low on the Stick when Hot.
Remove LH Sidecover,Oil in this Area indicates a blown Oiltank(first Modells up to 2009)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome from Connecticut, USA. That looks to be a very nice example of the species.
$9000 seems a little high, but I don’t know the Korean market at all. Good luck with your decision.
Regards
Roy
9k-9.5k is about right for for an X model in good condition with low miles. A little high for an 09. Great bike though, you will love it.

·
Registered
2010 XR1200
21 Posts
Welcome! I’m a recent XR owner but riding 35+ yrs. Friend has over 55k on his with minimal maintenance. Bike snorts, rumbles and likes to be in the 4500-5500 RPM range even all day on highway. Unique engine with lots of character and fun learning how to maximize its potentials. If you want smooth and quiet power get a Triumph triple. But if WWII planes appeal to you, the XR is a solid, great handling all around bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts