XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The older I get, the faster I was!
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was afraid of this. On one of my very early rides in January, we had a fairly warm day. I think it was in the mid 70's. It began to get a little uncomfortable on my right cheek from the heat from the oil tank. Well, it is 85 here today, and a little short ride with the wife confirmed my fear that we need some insulation between the oil tank and seat. This should be fun to work out. :)

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
Mid 80's in Atlanta today. Could not feel any oil tank heat. Using Mobile One and I think it runs cooler. Engine heat yes, oil tank no. Cold beer will fix most problems. If it won't the problem may require liquor. Really bad problems go away with ice cold Petrone. Of course you need a beer back (chaser). :D Later,

·
Some gave all
124 Posts
I ride 6 miles each way in combination stop & go, and easy crawl (20-30 mph). Plenty of time and condition for heat build up. Engine heat on right leg, yes. I chalked it up to being H-D, If I was expecting a two wheeled Miata, I'd have looked at Goldwings.

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
well...

I have felt the heat off the right side, just figured it was the pipes. I have removed my heat shields. I actually burned a hole in my jeans inside my right knee [:)]...so I cut the top rear heat shield in half, painted it black, and put it back on....I have some pic's but can't post 'em till tomorrow....

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,311 Posts
Just cant see that heat coming from the oil tank, like magoo says its far more likely to be coming from the exhaust, especially if your passenger is feeling it.

G

·
no way it's the oil tank...it's most likely coming from the exhaust and the rear cylinder itself...

it's an air and oilcooled engine man :)

·
The older I get, the faster I was!
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no way it's the oil tank...it's most likely coming from the exhaust and the rear cylinder itself...

it's an air and oilcooled engine man :)
Hmmm, now you all have me thinking? Maybe it's my candy ass. In which case, I'd better watch it before it melts off. BTW Billy, if beer and liquor would solve the problem, there wouldn't be a problem. :)

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts

·
Some gave all
124 Posts
"Candy Ass" beemerjim, you got the right sense of humor for this bunch. Once you localize the heat source I' sure you can get some relief with a clever heat shield.

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts