XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
The older I get, the faster I was!
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to add another quart of oil at 1600 mi. Had the oil changed at the 1K Service, and it was over a quart low then. This is using over a quart every 1K miles. Is this going to slow down as I get more miles on it? Hope so. Had synthetic put in it at the 1K and my dealer charges about $12 a quart for it. Which brings me to my next point. When I bought the bike, the dealer told me I had to use Harley oil to keep the warranty. If I changed my own oil, I had to bring them the receipts for my purchase of Harley oil should I have a warranty issue. I don't see anything about this in the manual. Are they blowing smoke up my rear?:mad:

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
Dude!

Just had to add another quart of oil at 1600 mi. Had the oil changed at the 1K Service, and it was over a quart low then. This is using over a quart every 1K miles. Is this going to slow down as I get more miles on it? Hope so. Had synthetic put in it at the 1K and my dealer charges about $12 a quart for it. Which brings me to my next point. When I bought the bike, the dealer told me I had to use Harley oil to keep the warranty. If I changed my own oil, I had to bring them the receipts for my purchase of Harley oil should I have a warranty issue. I don't see anything about this in the manual. Are they blowing smoke up my rear?:mad:
Beemerjim....find a new dealer, quick!!!!!!! You are getting the big ol' shaft (I threw that in 'cause yer a BMW guy....get it? Shaft....funny, huh?)

Seriously, you can use any oil you want as long as it meets the SAE requirements in your owners manual without impacting your warranty. The manual even states you can run diesel oil in a pinch.The fact that your dealer would even try that cheap crap pisses me off!

Oh, as an aside, I'd be checking around for oil spots under your bike. Your oil consumption seems high to me. This engine has been known to develop a leak at the O-ring inside the primary side cover where the clutch cable goes into the cover. The oil leaks down the clutch cable before it drips off, this makes it appear the leak is closer to the oil filter but don't be fooled...Run your hand along the bottom of the clutch cable the last 10 inches or so before it enters the cover....if your hand comes back oily theres your problem.

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
Echo MaGoo on dealer

I agree with MaGoo on the dealer. I was told that if I did my own maintenance, to keep receipts, and use quality oil. He recommended K and N filters, and Amsoil or any other good synthetic motor oil, and a non synthetic trans oil. I took my bike to dealer for the 1k service, and told him that that would be the last time they serviced the bike. I later had a warranty claim (oil cap), they took a cap from parts, and sent me on my way.

My bike used no oil in the first 1,000 miles. Haven't seen any use or leak in the next 400.

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
Here we go the oil discussion. I changed my oil and filter from the stock oil @ 300 miles. Never over 5k on the rev counter (sound so European) Took it easy up to around 700 miles and took it in to the dealer for my 1000k service (yes I bought the service agreement from dealer) At the 1000 mile service I switched to 20 50 Mobile One in the engine. My service manager and my Screaming Eagle teck use Mobile One in their own personal bikes. Recomendation accepted.

I have always had good results with Mobile One where I could use it only for the engine. Mobile One is not a good transmission oil because it doesn't have the sheer polimers necessary for transmission use. I use the Harley Formula + in the gearbox. I change my oil in engine and transmission oil every 2500 miles. The dealer does the change every 5000 miles per the service agreement.

Being in the car buisness I understand how service and warranty work. You are not required to use any special brand of oil as long as it meets manufactures recommendations. Diesel oil is in the owners manual. Dealers that say you must use the factory oil is not giving you the truth and using false pretences to try to get your buisness because they lack the ability or skill to secure your buisness.

If you never change your oil and your engine is full of sludge and has a failure they may try is say no warranty. They will loose in court because the jury always hate dealers and Harley customer service will help. You don't have to proove anything with reciepts because the motor will always show the truth.

The factory service schedule calls for oil changes every 5000 miles. Too long in my opinion but the book says so. I have said it before make friends with a good dealer and you will be fine. Everyone has an opinion and an a**hole. So crank it up forum. Another pint please. :D Later,

P.S. No oil usage in first 1800 miles. So there!

·
All things considered I'd rather be at the FloraBa
184 Posts
No oil usage

Due you think this is the old days? My bike went 500 miles and used four (4) quarts of oil and one trany. and ate one filter. That is worst than when AMF had ownership:D I like to see a little of oil under my bikes when they sit, that tells you that you still have OIL:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::confused:

·
1,373 Posts
Old Harleys don't really leak oil, they are just marking their spot. It has to do with marking territory breezybikerdeb. It's a guy thing. :D Later,

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,311 Posts
Mine aint used a drop, have changed it twice in 1600 mls, never really payed any attention to break in just took it easy for 200 mls, then it was playtime!

And FYI i use 15/40 high grade diesel oil and have done in all HD's I've owned for the last 10 years.
Like Fatty says it states in the manual if you cant get HD's own oil to use 15/40 diesel oil, which would tell me thats what HD's own oil is.
The reason for me saying this is, all grades of petrol oil are readily available so why would they stipulate Diesel oil unless thats what they use.

·
1,373 Posts
If you are using diesel oil air horns are required to keep the warranty in effect. Are there truck stops in England? Does scattered, covered, and smothered mean anything on your island? Hungry stomachs want to know. :cool: Later,

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
Why HD recommends Diesel oil

The reasoning behind using C rated (commercial, diesel) oil is simple, the C rated oil has an additive package that cleans more effectivly, prevents the build-up of acidic components. All C oils exceed the requirements for S rated oils (standard, gasoline). Many S rated oils meet or exceed the requirements for the C rating, however some do not. By specifying a C rated oil, HD is assured the quality of the oil will meet the minimuns set by their engineers. Many S rated oils are made from Group I oil ( a higher level of parrafin), C rated oils are made from a base oil with a Group II or higher rating (max 3% parrafin).

By requireing a C rated oil the chance of some goofy owner putting in some recycled (pre-acidified) oil will be reduced.

·
1,373 Posts
Best thing is to go with the brand of oil that has your favorite STICKER! Floridacars is correct with the ratings but he forgot one. The "E" rating is the most important for everyone. The "E" rating indicates the oil is expensive. I you wanna have some fun, next time you go to a biker ride in event put a little Blendzall in your gas tank and make the event smell like a race. Good oil: necessary, Expensive oil: better, Cool smelling exaust: Priceless :D Later,

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,311 Posts
And Diesel oils are formulated to put up with the higher temps that Diesel engines will produce due to far higher compression ratios.

(Air cooled HD's)...........its a temp thing!

·
Registered
507 Posts
BeemerJim

The HD Syn3 has a reputation for causing oil use. It seems OK in some bikes but a lot of people have experienced high oil consumption with it that went away as soon as they used something else. Worth a try.

G

·
yeah i would find another dealer. I work at a dealership and i never heard of that. Some people bring in oil with them if we dont sell it like AMS oil

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
The law

Fortunately, there is a law called the Magnusson-Moss Act that says, in layman’s terms, an OEM cannot require a consumer to use an OEM part or fluid in order to maintain warranty coverage unless that part or fluid is provided free of charge.

G

·
Hey cool, an oil thread, these don't usually end very well. But what the hell, I'll play.
I was wondering what happened to that 1 qt of oil that my new bike used within the first 200 miles also. The milage is now 315.
What oil comes in the bike from the factory (Syn3 or the regular 20/50)?

·
Reputation points: -4
1,205 Posts
Hey cool, an oil thread, these don't usually end very well. But what the hell, I'll play.
I was wondering what happened to that 1 qt of oil that my new bike used within the first 200 miles also. The milage is now 315.
What oil comes in the bike from the factory (Syn3 or the regular 20/50)?
Not sure, but I was told it was the regular.

G

·
So, any ideas on where the 1 qt of oil went during those 200 miles?

My dealer said that I could change my own oils as long as I kept reciepts and didn't say I had to use HD oil. But I like the HD oil and the Formula plus in my Iron head.
I wonder if using sae 50 would stop my oil consumption?

·
Keeping Them Flying
183 Posts
You might want to check the oil vent line coming out of the top of the cylinder head. Mine was cracked and spraying oil under the tank. Luckily, this only happened while I was riding so there was never a puddle under my bike.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts