XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
A Tuscan in Chicago
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am toying with the idea of fitting off-road tires on my XR. I know it has been done before, but my question to you is: is there anyone who has put those tires on and kept them for thousands of miles of traveling on highway and on normal roads? If so, how does the bike behaves?

I am not thinking about Dakar type tires, rather scrambler type. If you have suggestions on the type of off road tires to mount, I am all ears.

Also: would such a move be street legal? (I live in Illinois).

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
demonio, it's great to hear from you! We missed you last year at the Dragon, I thought you moved back to Italy :)

check out the "Adventure" tires on motorcyclesuperstore.com. They rate them by percentage of off road/on road so you can get what suits you....

hope you make the Dragon this year (I know it's a long ride for you :) )

·
Iron Collector
1,726 Posts
Just mounted my 3rd set. Handling, just pretend your on a GSA 1200, reasonably sticky as long as you keep in mind they are a "dual-sport" tire. Actually because of the "relatively soft compound", they have good corner holding grip on hard surfaced roads and will pleasantly surprise you in wet conditions. The "relatively soft compound" does need to be babied with the throttle on hard surfaced roads to realize a rear wear of 5,000 miles and the front routinely will go about 8,000 miles. If you get on it hard(and I mean hard), you will probably toast the rear in 1,000 miles.

I run a 140 width on the front due to the factory 3 1/2" rim width. The 140/18 is only available in tube type, hence I run a tube in it. Will be going to a narrower spoked front rim and then switch to a 120 or less width front. Also it is a rear tire so I run it revers mounted.

The 180 width rear has only been on the market a short while but is tubeless and designed for the OEM 5 1/2" wheel width, so is a direct replacement/install.

Both of these tires really shine on gravel or single track.

Street legal - yes

Front - Continental TKC 80 Twinduro, 140/80-18 70R, TT, DOT Approved, Load Range "B"(737lb/335kg) , Speed Rating "R" 106MPH(170KPH):

Rear - Continental TKC 80 Twinduro, 180/55-B17 73Q, TL, DOT Approved, Load Range "B"(805lb/365lb) , Speed Rating "Q" 99MPH(160KPH):

True 180mm/7" width rear:

Now, If we can just get this site to show pics again.......:whistling:

Edit: Ok, I opened a SmugMug account and it seems to take the pics now. So no more posting pics directly to this sight? That was so much easier. If there is a file format and/or file size we must use to post direct to this site, that would make it easier.

·
Iron Collector
1,726 Posts
Just mounted my 3rd set. Handling, just pretend your on a GSA 1200, reasonably sticky as long as you keep in mind they are a "dual-sport" tire. Actually because of the "relatively soft compound", they have good corner holding grip on hard surfaced roads and will pleasantly surprise you in wet conditions. The "relatively soft compound" does need to be babied with the throttle on hard surfaced roads to realize a rear wear of 5,000 miles and the front routinely will go about 8,000 miles. If you get on it hard(and I mean hard), you will probably toast the rear in 1,000 miles.

I run a 140 width on the front due to the factory 3 1/2" rim width. The 140/18 is only available in tube type, hence I run a tube in it. Will be going to a narrower spoked front rim and then switch to a 120 or less width front. Also it is a rear tire so I run it revers mounted.

The 180 width rear has only been on the market a short while but is tubeless and designed for the OEM 5 1/2" wheel width, so is a direct replacement/install.

Both of these tires really shine on gravel or single track.

Street legal - yes

Front - Continental TKC 80 Twinduro, 140/80-18 70R, TT, DOT Approved, Load Range "B"(737lb/335kg) , Speed Rating "R" 106MPH(170KPH):

Rear - Continental TKC 80 Twinduro, 180/55-B17 73Q, TL, DOT Approved, Load Range "B"(805lb/365lb) , Speed Rating "Q" 99MPH(160KPH):

True 180mm/7" width rear:

Just a repost with new pic codes as some said the old codes did not show pics.

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
I can't help but ask - WHY?

If you are really going to ride the type of terrain that a tire like that will benefit you, why not a much more appropriate bike for the occasion?
Making a 550+ lb XR into a dirt bike is like teaching a pig to dance, it wastes your time and annoys the pig - and in the end all you have is a dancing pig.
And from my days on "Enduro" bikes on the street with full blown knobbies all I can say is aside from the less than predictable handling, those huge knobbies used to vibrate so bad I could fell my sphincter enlarging with every mile.

·
Super Moderator
12,676 Posts
...................those huge knobbies used to vibrate so bad I could fell my sphincter enlarging with every mile.
That is an image I will try very hard to get out of my mind. It may take a few beers to do that. I just puked a little in my mouth.

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
And from my days on "Enduro" bikes on the street with full blown knobbies all I can say is aside from the less than predictable handling,...
Knobbies aren't 'less than predictable' on wet pavement. You KNOW they are going to slip and slide.

..., those huge knobbies used to vibrate so bad I could fell my sphincter enlarging with every mile.
TMI, Dude, TMI!!!

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
Mitch, I dig what you are doing.....and the info you provided was detailed and useful, thanks.

Mitch is riding around in the Canadian wilderness, graded dirt and gravel roads are normal every day travel. These are not two track or fireroads, most are nice, smooth, well maintained...,they are just dirt.....the XR with off road tires are perfect for that :)

well done Mitch, eh?

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
Mitch, I dig what you are doing.....and the info you provided was detailed and useful, thanks.

Mitch is riding around in the Canadian wilderness, graded dirt and gravel roads are normal every day travel. These are not two track or fireroads, most are nice, smooth, well maintained...,they are just dirt.....the XR with off road tires are perfect for that :)

well done Mitch, eh?
I understand that, it's just in my case if I were riding dirt and gravel roads everyday, it would be on something more suited that I could really take advantage of those dirt roads with. Something light enough to be flying down those roads, throwing roost's and sliding and jumping! (And not a so called adventure bike like a GS, but something FUN like a KTM 500EXC or even a 690 Enduro R) I guess it's just the racer mentality never left my brain

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
I understand that, it's just in my case if I were riding dirt and gravel roads everyday, it would be on something more suited that I could really take advantage of those dirt roads with. Something light enough to be flying down those roads, throwing roost's and sliding and jumping! (And not a so called adventure bike like a GS, but something FUN like a KTM 500EXC or even a 690 Enduro R) I guess it's just the racer mentality never left my brain

Speaking of BMW GS's i know you've been busy getting your hot rod dolled up and didnt know if you saw the stuff about Kevin Ash being killed at the press launch of the 2013 GS bikes in South Africa last week.....it was awful...

http://www.usridernews.com/2013/01/23/motorcycle-journalist-kevin-ash-killed-during-press-launch/

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,676 Posts
Speaking of BMW GS's i know you've been busy getting your hot rod dolled up and didnt know if you saw the stuff about Kevin Ash being killed at the press launch of the 2013 GS bikes in South Africa last week.....it was awful...

http://www.usridernews.com/2013/01/23/motorcycle-journalist-kevin-ash-killed-during-press-launch/
I saw that last week. Twitter was abuzz.............so sad.

I also heard today that Caleb Moore passed due to the injuries he suffered while trying to flip his snow machine at the X-Games......sad as well.

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts

I also heard today that Caleb Moore passed due to the injuries he suffered while trying to flip his snow machine at the X-Games......sad as well.
I just read up on that.....hate to see it, he seemed like an ambitious kid. But I have to say those snowmobiles should NEVER leave the ground.... Everytime I see someone jump them I just assume they won't make it....,

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
There already is quite a bit of talk about eliminating some of that X Games stuff. It isn't reasonable to expect that when a 450 pound sled goes out of control, because the rider slipped off when it was upside down 20 feet in the air, that it doesn't have a damn good change of coming down on top of said rider - and that is exactly what happened here. I saw it at the time and just cringed. He got up and walked away, but from what I understand, had bleeding around the heart that led to brain issues that caused his death. And even worse for the family is they reported that his little brother broke his pelvis earlier in the competition on a snowmobile as well.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Yes, I saw the X-games on the Tv as well...and said out loud that "this stuff is just too nuts, someone is gonna get killed doing this stuff."

You guys are really bumming me out, can we get back to arguing about tires.......

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I loves me a 690 on a gravel road. Mine from a month or so ago:

The 950 is also tonofun on the gravel -- more stable.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.