XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scotty, you mentioned the triangulated front. What replacement tires have you used and how do they compare with the OEMs? I have 1,400 miles and mine are getting scuffed from these mountain twisties. Thanks.
Ed

·
WTF???
15,969 Posts
2400 miles rear

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've done 1600 miles on the original rear and it's just starting to square off, so I reckon it'll last a feww hundred miles more

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
I've got 3200 miles on my PR2 Michelins and they are only about 1/2 gone and still stick like glue. Magoo put on a set and loved the way they steered and felt on the road. :D Later,

·
Registered
25 Posts
1st post, and glad I found this site. I'm the only HD rider in the group I ride with (all brands), and HD riders look at me like I'm a step-child. Adn it's my 1st HD-I figure I'm old enough now........ I'm @ about 2400 miles on the bike, 1000 of that on twisties in Colorado and around Deal's Gap, and I'm down to the tread wear indicators on the rear tire. The center of the rear tire is concaved in just enough to notice. I always felt confident with the grip, but the front is a little twitchy. This is the absolute worst mileage I have ever seen out of a stock tire-must be a really soft compound in the middle......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got about 3000 miles on mine, including a couple of dyno sessions and a day at the drag strip (with short burn outs to clean off the tire), and I'm still not down to the wear indicators. I don't do a lot of street wheelies though...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
3700 miles with mine during winter time (september to april). now i have 4700 miles, and the front tire will be changed at 5000 inspection.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
4600 Miles on stock tire

Ok, so here's my stock rear at 4,600 miles. It has just hit the wear indicators and broken through the layer of the tread material. This is after a mixture of aggressive road riding (but without trying to pull wheelies and break the rear wheel loose all the time), hitting the drag strip and heating up the rear tire to clean it off, loaded touring, and loaded offroad riding.

Personally, at 4,600 miles, I can't complain about the balance between OEM life and handling characteristics.

Attachments

·
WTF???
15,969 Posts
Ok, so here's my stock rear at 4,600 miles. It has just hit the wear indicators and broken through the layer of the tread material. This is after a mixture of aggressive road riding (but without trying to pull wheelies and break the rear wheel loose all the time), hitting the drag strip and heating up the rear tire to clean it off, loaded touring, and loaded offroad riding.

Personally, at 4,600 miles, I can't complain about the balance between OEM life and handling characteristics.
I guess it is the wheelies that made my tire only last 2700 miles. I got a new RoadSmart and it seems to grip just as well, if not better, and hopefully with a lot less wheelies, it will last a lot longer. In fact during the first ride with the RoadSmart was the first time I scraped my boot on left handers and the exhaust (I think) on right handers. I can't find any scrape marks on the exhast, but it felt like something hard touched down. Kind of unnerving.

·
Registered
208 Posts
2850 mls

I'm hitting the wear bars on the sides before the center (which is visible in the same groove). Some minor feathering, no brown undie moments. I'll probably run it for another 200-300 or so before swapping.

New PR2s just delivered today, now I'm worried about "V"ing the rear :(.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Wow is the profile realy that round?
I Dunno...

I'm sure I've lost some profile as the center tread always starts out much deeper than the sides when new, but thankfully, I'm not squaring-off. Here's another angle:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was surprised at how fast my Buell XB12 ate tires. I think it has to do with the engine characteristics, zero lash driveline and sport compound. Just don't mix. I'm doing a sport-touring tire next. They're so good now, I really don't see a need for a sport tire on this bike.

·
Administrator
13,671 Posts
I've got 2,500 on the OEM. No wheelies, racing or slides. Probably have at least another 2,000 before replacement. It's good to see the photos of your tires. They appear scuffed all the way to the edge of the tread. I have 1/2-inch of unused tread at both the left and right side. I guess I'm not laying it over on the edge. They call those "chicken strips".:clap:

·
The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules
1,422 Posts
It might be surprising to some to know that OEM tires, even though they carry the same markings as the ones you can buy from anywhere, are truly a lot different than their "aftermarket" brothers. The Qualifiers that come on the XR for instance, are specifically made for the XR, for it's weight, power, and chassis. The manufacturers go to a tire company, and give them the specs that they need, and the tire co takes one of their exisiting models, and makes "special sets" built to spec for the particular make/model.
The ZX-10 Qualifiers for instance, are a lot different than the XR Q's.
Michelin, Pirelli, and Bridgestone(prolly others as well) are now making dual and triple compound tires. It's really a good idea for guys that commute on the same bike they ride the canyons on. The tri compounds have a hard center, medium shoulders, and really soft edges, while the dual comps have a hard center with a soft(er) shoulder and edge. You end up with a tire that you won't pre-maturely wear out from commuting on.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.