XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Old fart (one of my wife's pet names for me) from NJ.

I have been riding the same 1970 Bonneville since 1982.
750 kit, MegaCycle cams, Amal Mk 1.5, balanced, Boyer, Hagon, K&N superbike bars.

Wife said I should have a newer bike, so I put down a deposit on a black XR that is to arrive at the dealer April 4.
Except for the Buell XB12 Lightning Long, no other bike out there does it for me.

My job is hanging by a thread right now so I am not sure if I will be able finalize the deal (2 college educations yet to pay for too) but I really like the XR and hope to be an owner. OK, as my daughter would say, TMI.

All of us owe magoo big time for a great site and I hope the T shirts sell out soon.

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,311 Posts
Hey man, go for the XR, plenty of time for regrets when yer dead.
I've had a couple of Bonny's and you will love the XR i sorta compare it to my Bonny's and Commando.
Go with what your wife says and get that new bike, sounds like a good woman to me ;)

Welcome aboard Old Fart :D

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
Many valuable lessons can be learned

What a great opportunity you have before you now. A chance to show two children the value of a hard earned dollar. By allowing them to pay for their own college they will be on the road to independance 4 years sooner than they ever imagined. You will be able to buy the XR making the wife happy. You will be riding an XR, and without a job to interfere, you will have more free time. It's all good, just depends on how you look at it.

·
Instant Karma
32 Posts
Hi all,

Old fart (one of my wife's pet names for me) from NJ.

I have been riding the same 1970 Bonneville since 1982.
750 kit, MegaCycle cams, Amal Mk 1.5, balanced, Boyer, Hagon, K&N superbike bars.

Wife said I should have a newer bike, so I put down a deposit on a black XR that is to arrive at the dealer April 4.
Except for the Buell XB12 Lightning Long, no other bike out there does it for me.

My job is hanging by a thread right now so I am not sure if I will be able finalize the deal (2 college educations yet to pay for too) but I really like the XR and hope to be an owner. OK, as my daughter would say, TMI.

All of us owe magoo big time for a great site and I hope the T shirts sell out soon.
Welcome to the forum. I hope everything works out for you with your job - but even if it doesn't get the XR anyway. Quite a difference from a Bonnie (I have a 2001 Bonneville parked next to the XR). Lots of character in both bikes.

WK, Located in Chesterfield, NJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you guys got it right

This is a great site.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think there may be some people like me rying to decide if it makes sense to make a "luxury" purchase like the XR in this economy. Especially with a looming job loss. I guess it depends on what might be the biggerv regret - making the purchase and then having to sell if times get really bad or not making the purchase and never knowing what experiences ownership of the XR might lead to. Also, I wanted to buy American and maybe help save some jobs in the process.

Breezybikerdeb and WK, thanks for the support. Looks like WK is in the middle of us three (I am in Mountainside GSP Exit 138). Maybe if I make the purchase we can meet up some time and ride around and stuff.

You guys are probably my best friends.:D

By the way, there is one thing wrong with the XR - they put the shift on the wrong side. Maybe Adrenalinmoto will come up with a right side shift conversion for old timers like me (or at least a conversion kit from JC Whitney).

Relic (a.k.a. Old Fart)

·
Reputation points: -4
1,205 Posts
O.F.-- Welcome to the forum from Cleveland. Repeat after me...Must have XR. Must have XR. Must have XR.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts