XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie on here. Had mine a couple of weeks now and originally bought it as an investment piece.
One owner, 5000 miles, mint.
Love it though. The weather's been perfect since I bought it and I'm out on it most days loving life.
Totally stock apart from the Remus pipe and the original came with so can drop it back to standard.
Not sure if the gold powder coating on the rims is standard though...
194993083_2969569786654550_227083033937871867_n.jpg
194548541_2969569639987898_6667917642910508691_n.jpg

·
Let's Ride
229 Posts
Welcome from Alabama. Nice bike. The wheel color and the mirrors are not stock. Oh, and by the way... check your oil cap!
The stock pipe is SUPER Quiet!

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Looks like your oil cap might not be closed completely. Should be flush. It’s common for new owners till they know, myself included.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Welcome from Alabama. Nice bike. The wheel color and the mirrors are not stock. Oh, and by the way... check your oil cap!
Dang-Nabbit!!! Too slow here…

·
Super Moderator
12,559 Posts
Welcome to The Forum from sunny Idaho! Congrats on the new-to-you XR1200!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to The Forum from sunny Idaho! Congrats on the new-to-you XR1200!
Thanks geno, can't believe sales were disappointing for H-D on these.
Frankly, I can't get enough of it.
A harley that goes, stops and turns...go figure....

·
Super Moderator
8,246 Posts
Chris, welcome to our little group, anything you need to know about your XR, you can find here, all you have to do is ask!. The XR has been discontinued for 10 years now, trying to find parts can be a bit of a bother, they are out there, you just have to be diligent with your searches, any thing good that come up on eBay is usually gone in hours!

I have a bit of Brit DNA in me as my Mother was born up in Keswick, in the Lake District, I’ve been there a few times, what a nice country.
the Europeans were the first to get the XR1200, so some companies are out there that catered to them. In addition to the successful AMA race series here in the States, the British, Spanish, Italian and Canadian’s had their own race series, you can still view some of their races on YouTube .
Regards
Roy

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,880 Posts
Welcome from Melbourne Australia, Chris, nice example.

You are not alone in your puzzlement that the XR sold poorly (by HD standards), but we here think of it as due more as HD's failure to market it properly rather than any inherent shortcoming in the bike. Accordingly, we think that's a great pity- if they'd done the job better and progressively improved the model (as Indian is doing with the FTR) & hung in there with promotion eg. further dedicated race series, who knows, maybe they could have had another Ducati Monster sales hit on their hands. But no, they didn't work to enlarge that slender overlap of sportbike riders who'd consider a Harley with Harley riders who'd consider a sportbike, so it's back to chrome skulls and leather tassels. Yeah, a great pity. However, the company are clearly now stepping into the present (if not the future) with the Pan America, so there are definitely signs of life there. All the more so when they release a road bike with that motor, a Bronx kind of machine. Meantime we enjoy their little known and appreciated but supreme version of the air cooled Sportster.

J.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome welcome!

Yeah I'm surprised it didn't either. If I can wax philosophical, I often wonder if releasing a new bike at a premium price during an economic meltdown might not be a good idea. I also agree with shackman too, as I don't think this bike was marketed well at all. I bought my first bike during the summer of 2010 and I rode a whack of harleys at several demo days. None of them quite scratched the itch I was looking for and I grabbed a super discounted 2009 ZX6R. I went to 4 different harley dealerships and didn't see a single one. Didn't have a single one for demo. When asking about a sportier sportster every salesman said "You want the 48, its the best sportster we have."

Now in 2020 I've got an XR1200. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Yes John, glad to see you here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going for this as a luggage deal, have used them before.
Toured several countries in Europe in a single hit before using system, with the Mrs as pillion, and camping.
Bikes I've used Ventura on:
Suzuki Tl1000R
Kawasaki ZX12R Ninja

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,880 Posts
I have a Ventura bag like that, and also the same Ventura paddock stand. Ventura are good stuff at a fair price, no question.

J.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts