XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals! I do not own a XR1200 but have lusted after one ever since they released them in the EU. I love sporties and my wife's 883L is my ride of choice IF the ride is a day or less. I had a XL 1200 C 105 anniversary that was beautiful but physically injured my butt on a two day ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway. What a crappy riding bike.

Anyway, I always said that if a sporty had a real suspension and was built more for long legged runs than just for looking cool at a stop light then I would find my perfect solo ride. Reading some posts about you guys going long distance with just a few additional amenities has got me wound up and in lust again.

IN ADDITION, I just loved the way the ol' XL 1000 CR (cafe racer) looked. Never rode one and heard they were dogs, but did they ever look cool! Now lets see, a black XR 1200 with a cafe type fairing with pulled in or clip on grips, and we may just have something here....

Alas, I am embarking on retirement and a hard economic rule in our house is now "one out, one in" so one of the bikes in the stable has to go. I loaded up the R1200GS last month for a 5,000 mile trip to Montana and back, kissed darling wife good-bye and made it to the end of the street when the ABS system failed completely. Back to the barn and remounted on Battlestar Electraglide and made the trip. When I got home there was a letter from BMW with stickies to apply to the handguards to warn me against possible ABS failures. Guess what bike is the candidate for getting the boot?

Anybody interested in a red 2005 R1200GS ABS (repaired) with less than 30k on the clock holler back at me.

Have fun riding your beautiful XR 1200's, keep posting as I will be enjoying them vicariously through you.

·
Scooter Trash
194 Posts
Welcome aboard Capt. Nice stable you have. I have 2 bikes and lusting for a 3rd. Always like the R1200GS but never owned one. So many bikes and so little cash.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: adrenalin-moto cafe racer:
AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!

That is one fine machine there. It just went up as my Mac's wall paper.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome aboard! I'm also a BMW owner (K1200S) and have an XR1200. It's too bad what you expereienced with the GS. I also belong to the BMW Bikers of Metropolitan Washington (BMWBMW) and the GS has a strong following. You may try selling it there. And if you want an XR1200, mine's up for sale. Nice bike, but i just like my K1200S too much.

http://www.xr1200ownersgroup.com/site/showthread.php?t=606

PS - I live in Fairfax, VA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, you are close and the price is fair, but my heart is set on black. I don't know though, some of the posts here swear orange XR's run better than black XR's

Thanks!

·
WTF???
15,969 Posts
Hey, you are close and the price is fair, but my heart is set on black. I don't know though, some of the posts here swear orange XR's run better than black XR's Thanks!
Not necessarily better, just FASTER!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Capt,

Riding where you are is so beautiful, and not far. In fact I'm heading down that way today, well as far as Warrenton/Luray.
Great vineyards too. You sure you're that set on black? To me, its not that Orange is faster, its just that nothing says a Harley race bike like that classic Harley color. It being faster is just a plus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.