XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'09 SV650, '16 GSXS1000, SOON XR1200!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha, new guy here looking for my first Harley.
Currently ride a nicely modded 09 SV650 and a stock GSXS1000. The gsx is gone as soon as I get an XR, it may have all the power but I just don't love it. I've always wanted a Buell XB12ss and may still get one one day but at 6'2", I'm pushing it. Anyway, I'll be stalking the classifieds and posting when I find the right one.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I too was lookinig at a Buell XB12R and allso a ZRX1200, then settled on an XR1200 after watching the past AMA XR1200 Series Races. Not your typical H-D. From Sportbikes to the XR yo'll be fine, just have to get use to the torque like that of your SV, but at half the rpm redline.

·
Super Moderator
8,246 Posts
Welcome in to our little group, XR1200’s are out there, you just have to be careful and not get one that’s been ridden too hard. The “X” models will cost just a little bit, but they come with the upgraded suspension, floating brake rotors, and blacked out engine and swingarm. Good luck with your search, show us some pictures of those your interested in, and we will give your our opinions.
Regards
Roy

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,880 Posts
Yep, keep watching the classifieds. But importing to Hawai'i probably gonna cost you if you can't score a local one.

J.

·
Registered
'09 SV650, '16 GSXS1000, SOON XR1200!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Roy, I've been researching for a little while so at this point I know what a Scotty mod is, but dont yet know the fork diffences are, all the different tuning options or even what oil to run...I'll get there and then some. I do think I want an x model but dumb question and perhaps I should post it somewhere else but the search only turned up exhaust info but is the black on the engine just paint or a thermal coat? And if paint, how's it holding up? Do they run hotter? Science says bare metal is or thermal coat is best...hope that's not too newb of a question but I live in Florida so heat is a big concern

Lol Shackman, just a greeting, not Hawaiian

Thanks for the help

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,257 Posts
Welcome from Canada.
Had a 2008 Buell XB1200SS. You might have found it a little small, I think you will love a XR.
I am 5"6" and the Buell fit me great. ( also a 100+ lbs lighter helped LOL)

·
Super Moderator
8,246 Posts
Can’t really say if the X model engine is thermal paint or not, but there haven’t been any complaints on this site about the paint, the only problem has been on some X bikes, 2010 or 2011 the tank stickers seem to show a bit of cracking on them.
and if you see any XR’s with a swollen tank cover, it’s a known problem, except no one knows how to fix it.
its purely cosmetic, but those in the market for one may be put off by it.
Regards
Roy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts