XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined this forum in the past week looking for an XR, turns out it was best for me to buy a new 2009 because of the 'Ride for Free' deal. I pick it up tomorrow...!

I already bought accessories from a member here...first time I am buying accessories before getting the bike...thanks.

I hope I can contribute to the group. This is my 3rd Harley, I have a new GoldWing, just sold my FJR 1300 and highly modified Harley Ultra.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
about 4 1/2 hours NE in Canton...I am going to need some XR support up here! I was pioneer on the VROD and created a 'touring' VROD complete with hard bags, Road Glide fairling, running boards and a hundred other mods...then another major ULTRA project and now this...arrows in my back..

But the XR is fun...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
about 4 1/2 hours NE in Canton...I am going to need some XR support up here! I was pioneer on the VROD and created a 'touring' VROD complete with hard bags, Road Glide fairling, running boards and a hundred other mods...then another major ULTRA project and now this...arrows in my back..

But the XR is fun...
Pioneer's get the arrows and settlers get the land. ;)

I'd like to hear more about your VROD experience. Seems like a water cooled HD might be a good second bike down here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SSScooter, we need to meet together sometime as I'm an orange XR-1200 owner, living in Wilmington, OH. Perhaps you could come to the Buckminn's 25th Aniversary celebration on Saturday (food, drink, discounts etc) 29-Aug at Buckminn's HD in Xenia, OH. We can meet there and compare XR-1200 stories!

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
I was pioneer on the VROD and created a 'touring' VROD complete with hard bags, Road Glide fairling, running boards and a hundred other mods.....
Sounds similar to the kits that Cycle Visions in San Diego have been doing for years. Know some one who crashed one when it went into a high speed wobble about a bit over 100 mph. It was attributed to the fairing and the fact that the front end geometry and spring weight was not designed for it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did confer with the owner at Cycle Visions, but we invented other pieces that I have now sold the rights to others to sell. My bike was used in the advertisements of those parts.

I went beyond Cycle Visions design with modifications including real Harley controls, a complete bolt-on wiring harness designed off of the Ultra that included all of the factory radio, full gauge cluster, radar detecter, Nav system, CB, intercom, etc.

Worked with Corbin early on the bags and they custom painted a set of beetle bags that fit the shape of the Vrod, designed chaps with another person for the crash bar, designed heel toe shifter with someone else as well. My bike was the prototype to develop these items.

As to handling, you HAD to replace the front wheel with an open wheel instead of solid. Replace the front springs with Progressive for added weight, tune preload (I did read with Progressives as well).

I had to design/implement various other things due to no one having done them before, like a water temp hookup for gauge, mech oil pressure, etc. In the end, not so difficult, but you know the pioneer stuff...

According to Cycle Visions, I had the most modified and refined conversion in the country. I didn't build it for that reason, just for fun.

Last year I did an Ultra with over 110 mods on it. If you want to see info and a video, I can give you link. Wish I had done that on the Vrod. My PC died several months ago and I lost the really good final pics on the Vrod.

You can find pictures and videos though on Harley Tech Talk and CVO Harley site as it was quite the talk for about 4 weeks..

Joe

·
Scooter Trash
194 Posts
Welcome aboard Jrider. Sounds like you've got a wealth of info to share. Keep us posted on the mods to your XR.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.