XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm Rick from the great state of Texas
I moved from a BMW K1200 RS to the XR 1200 I have never owned are even thought about owning a Harley before the XR
When I seen it on the net one day I told my buddy that if it came to the US I would have one. The first one I seen was mine by the end of the day. I have to admit this is the only bike purchase I've made with out a test ride based on looks alone I just knew it was for me. On the ride home from the dealer ship I was wondering if this was the bike for me, but the more I ride it the better I like it. It viberates rides stiff the the lights aren't that good and the 3000 rpm range sucks. The stock tires have great grip for 2000 miles. I purchased the bike 01/24/09 and have replaced tires; installed a chin spoiler; xeid's; wind screen; tank bag, tail bag and grips. The wind screen is useless without the head lamp deflector oh I also installed the Piaa head light great improvment. With all the things I listed wrong with the bikel I love it for some reason I guess it's because of the low end performace and the fact you can go thru 30 mph corners at 75 mph without scraping the pegs this thing is so much fun to ride I can overlook the little things.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Rick

Glad to hear I am not the only one who bought without a test ride(There were none in the UK when I ordered mine). Picked mine up in June 2008 :D

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
You ain't alone brother

Hi Rick, you aren't the only one who purchased without a test ride, many US owners did the same thing, me included. I am in Florida, near Mobile AL. I have (had) the same issues as you. most have. the threads on here will help sort out many problems. I have ownedd many bike that are far superior to this bike, but none have the charactor and appeal this bike has. Its just plain fun to ride, and that's why I ride anything that I have, fun.

·
I piss excellence!
131 Posts
welcome!

Hey Rick, welcome! Like you I never considered myself a Harley guy even though I owned an 06 883R when I bought the XR. I've always been more of a dirtbike guy...Husky's and KTM's...but there's something that grabs you about this XR. And, like so many comments on this board say, I enjoy it more the more I ride it!

Glad you made it here!

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Yep - welcome! It is a great bike isn't it - from another guy who decided to buy after just one glimpse.

And how do you like that PIAA light. Tell us more about it...

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Hello everyone I'm Rick from the great state of Texas
I moved from a BMW K1200 RS to the XR 1200 I have never owned are even thought about owning a Harley before the XR
When I seen it on the net one day I told my buddy that if it came to the US I would have one. The first one I seen was mine by the end of the day. I have to admit this is the only bike purchase I've made with out a test ride based on looks alone I just knew it was for me. On the ride home from the dealer ship I was wondering if this was the bike for me, but the more I ride it the better I like it. It viberates rides stiff the the lights aren't that good and the 3000 rpm range sucks. The stock tires have great grip for 2000 miles. I purchased the bike 01/24/09 and have replaced tires; installed a chin spoiler; xeid's; wind screen; tank bag, tail bag and grips. The wind screen is useless without the head lamp deflector oh I also installed the Piaa head light great improvment. With all the things I listed wrong with the bikel I love it for some reason I guess it's because of the low end performace and the fact you can go thru 30 mph corners at 75 mph without scraping the pegs this thing is so much fun to ride I can overlook the little things.
Welcome. I don't understand the windscreen useless without the head lamp deflector comment though. Please elaborate.

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts
Welcome. I don't understand the windscreen useless without the head lamp deflector comment though. Please elaborate.
I'd like to know what that means too.

I went to Taiwan to test ride before they were avilable here! I also came off BMW's an R1200RT and an R1150R (along with many previous Harleys) and there is something about this bike!

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
The tank bag is an easy install two clips in the front of the frame and one bolt to remove under the seat. Not much storage but any thing helps. The wind screen is a great help on the high way. The deflector is needed to block the light reflection behind the screen the head light sets behind the screen and lights up the screen bad without the deflector. The piaa light shines a flatter beam than the stock spot light. I was able to adjust the piaa for high and low beam, the stock light would shine too high on high beam when adjusted properly for low beam. What tires are you guys using? I have changed pilot power 2 ct
3000 miles and counting the rear has maybe another 1500 miles
In it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
The tank bag is an easy install two clips in the front of the frame and one bolt to remove under the seat. Not much storage but any thing helps. The wind screen is a great help on the high way. The deflector is needed to block the light reflection behind the screen the head light sets behind the screen and lights up the screen bad without the deflector. The piaa light shines a flatter beam than the stock spot light. I was able to adjust the piaa for high and low beam, the stock light would shine too high on high beam when adjusted properly for low beam. What tires are you guys using? I have changed pilot power 2 ct
3000 miles and counting the rear has maybe another 1500 miles
In it.

Like to see how you set that deflector up with a picture at your next opportunity.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Me Too!

Hi Rick, and welcome to the group. I did the same thing, bought my XR without a test ride. But if you have been around long enough and ridden other makes of bikes you should pretty much know what to expect from the XR. I have lots of miles on rented HD's of all models and was sure of the same traits you found. But I love the bike also.

I still have my Beemer, use it for long distance rides. Got a vintage Honda also, but the XR is for around town and day rides out of the city. I just put the short windscreen on and am very pleased. Have not been out after dark with it yet, so will look for that reflection issue you describe.

I can tell you the vast majority of riders here I have meet like my XR, and most say they would cross that line like I did and buy their first HD. I felt it was a good time to buy American.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts