1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Reactions: Nivek

·
Administrator
8,406 Posts
Not to rain on your parade….but my experience with upgrading the rear suspension on my 2009 non X suspension, was that the once the rear was done, it became apparent to me how woefully inadequate the front suspension was, I had wished that I had done both front and back at the same time, but because of financial reasons, I Couldn’t.
Later on, once my credit card cooled off, I was able to upgrade the fronts to my liking, I believe it was the best money I ever spent on my XR.
Best of luck to you on your upgrades
regards
Roy

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Not to rain on your parade….but my experience with upgrading the rear suspension on my 2009 non X suspension, was that the once the rear was done, it became apparent to me how woefully inadequate the front suspension was, I had wished that I had done both front and back at the same time, but because of financial reasons, I Couldn’t.
Later on, once my credit card cooled off, I was able to upgrade the fronts to my liking, I believe it was the best money I ever spent on my XR.
regards
Roy
Both front and rear on the X model are lacking. I would advise the Ohlin's 16" rear shocks as as a minimum. you need these as a minimum if you drag the pegs with out feelers attached.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Already did the front with hyperpro, mocht beter, iam not a track racer so i got the back on normal ride height.

·
Administrator
12,757 Posts
Both front and rear on the X model are lacking. I would advise the Ohlin's 16" rear shocks as as a minimum. you need these as a minimum if you drag the pegs with out feelers attached.
Peg feelers were probably the first thing I removed. I hated having my knee forced up under my chin when those dam things touched down. It was very un-nerving the first time it occurred.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
@Nivek
It's amazing how many people that ride a bike just the way it is, and once they upgrade the suspension, and/or have it all set for them, do they wonder why they have waited so long to do so. This was me many years ago. Go to someplace, or talk to someone that really knows suspension. It is like a foreign language until you really understand it, or chose not to. Talk to them about your suspension, and what upgrades can be done within your budget. You don't have to go top of the line and most expensive, but there are many choises other than stock.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
regards
Roy
Hey Roy, what did you end up going with front and rear?

·
Administrator
8,406 Posts
Hey Roy, what did you end up going with front and rear?
For the rears, I went with Ohlins 852's in the rear that I bought from member Charles Carvallo, normally 16" in length (2" over stock length) but these had been shortened by 1/2 " giving me 1-1/2 inches over stock length.
For the fronts, I sent a set of Showa Big Piston Forks to Fast Bike Industries in North Carolina where they replaced the springs and oil with Ohlins parts and did the Andreani piston kit conversion.
They also did the gold anodizing of the upper fork tubes
Total cost was just about $3000.00 and, in my opinion, worth every penny, the suspension upgrades totally transformed the handling of the motorcycle.
Regards
Roy

·
Registered
225 Posts
It really is different bike all together. Roy said the same thing to me when I got the 852's and now it has a FBI front end and a 17 inch front wheel..whoa cowboy!!!

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,516 Posts
I was thinking about doing the hyperpro springs in the front with ohlins in the back but this seems like a nice option as well.
I put Hyperpro springs in mine when I hade my forks serviced this summer.
Along with the RaceTech gold valves that were already in there.
In the back I have RaceTech one inch longer shocks.
Worked well for me.

·
Administrator
12,757 Posts
I put Hyperpro springs in mine when I hade my forks serviced this summer.
Along with the RaceTech gold valves that were already in there.
In the back I have RaceTech one inch longer shocks.
Worked well for me.
I did not do the Hypropro springs. I did RaceTech heavier springs except my rears are 2" longer. But hey, I' 5'16" tall. No problem to flat-foot with the extra ride height.

·
Premium Member
2012 XR1200X
27 Posts
I did the forks and shocks at the same time , took my bike to race tech and they did the front with k tech internals and 19" razor shocks out back , when i picked up my bike they tuned just for me and set preload and rebound , then showed me race and street settings , couldn't be happier with the set up and it handles like a rocket now , I need to get a steering stabilizer now . don't mind the picture's I have a dirt floor in my barn at this time.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,406 Posts
Very nice…Well Done, glad you like the setup.
are you sure about the 19 inch figure? For the rear shocks.
stock is 14”
Regards
Roy

·
Premium Member
2012 XR1200X
27 Posts
YES i am building a race replica so with the stock 14 you have to use the shock risers or go with 19" I plan on using it for track days at my local track at road Atlanta and I had race tech do the set up from several race bikes they built .
I steepens the head angle and rises the ground clearance so it carves around corners now .

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts