XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I got 4200km's / 2600mls on my bike and the rear tire is done...

I have 3 tires to choose from now...

Original Dunlop
Bridgestone Battlax
Michelin RoadGrip2

I will decide tomorrow when I hear prices and availability.

What do you think?

·
WTF???
15,959 Posts
I got 4200km's / 2600mls on my bike and the rear tire is done..
2600 miles! I was afraid of that. Time to start saving for new tires.

·
Reputation points: -4
1,205 Posts
I got 4200km's / 2600mls on my bike and the rear tire is done...

I have 3 tires to choose from now...

Original Dunlop
Bridgestone Battlax
Michelin RoadGrip2

I will decide tomorrow when I hear prices and availability.

What do you think?
I think you must be a maniac on the road!!!:D:D:D

·
ILL NEVER GROW UP JUST GROW OLD
148 Posts
will have to do the same around that time got 1900 miles on now & looking sorry for itself reckon going to go with dunlops

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,305 Posts
You Merican folks always do a lot better than us in the UK and Northern Europe for tyre wear, totally different road surface.

·
Reputation points: -4
1,205 Posts
True dat!! But we have bigger potholes and frost heaves than I ever saw over there!!

·
My giant goes with me wherever I go.
14,911 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I got only 1300ks as this is when the hunk of glass went through the tyre and rendered it useless,so I ended up putting a pirelli strada sport on this is a sports touring tyre a customer runs these on his hayabusa so I'm thinking a 90hp xr should be fine,funny thing is there are not many companies are making 18" fronts pirelli,dunlop and continental are all we can get down here.

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
Dyno time is a big tire wear source. I've got 1000 miles so far with one dyno session. Tires ok now but you can see the wear. One more session when the pipes arrive. Soft sticky tires wear faster but work better. When it's tire (tyre) time I may try Michelins. :) Later,

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,305 Posts
For those folks who dont have a lot of twisty roads or ride fairly sedately i wouldn't bother putting a sporty tyre on the bike, your gonna get more mileage out of a not so sticky tyre.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
those are not the standard harley crap tires...4000km's with a soft rubber on a 90hp bike is ok...

the dunlop qualifier is 2nd in dunlop line up...only RR is softer.

I decided to go with the Michelin Pilot Road 2. Since only Michelin, Dunlop and Metzeler are offering our strange 18" front dimension. I wanted to try Bridgestone Battlax 016 but not available for the front.
The Pilot Road 2 is a Sport Touring 2 Compound tire. It's harder in the middle and softer on the edges.
I will change the front as soon as it's bad too.

I'm not a road maniac..I try to ride safely most of the time...I do not overtake everything everywhere.
I just drive sporty and I have the roads to do so.
The leaning angle on the XR is a joke compared to sport bikes so scratching the stock exhaust is not very hard to do I think.

I will report about the tire tomorrow when I pick up the bike and mount the XIEDs. Well it's a bit crappy that I still have the Dunlop up front so my comparison won't be much stating.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
First ride yesterday with the michelin....didn't notica a difference... :)

but it was cold and wet sometimes...so I had to be careful with the new tire

I also put on the XIEDs and didn't notice a difference lol...maybe it was to cold for my senses ;)

·
weeble wobble
165 Posts
Curious, whats everyone stateside been paying for a rear tire installed?

Dunlop D209 HD 180/55/17 ?

·
Kinder gentler machine gun world
4,489 Posts
Well I wish I got 2000 miles on my tire, but its shot after 1100 miles. New Pirelli going on tomorrow. About $150.

·
I bought a Harley Dyna to slow down, sold it & got
300 Posts
Well I wish I got 2000 miles on my tire, but its shot after 1100 miles. New Pirelli going on tomorrow. About $150.
My local shop recommended Pirrelli Angels. Got them fitted a few weeks ago at 2050miles, the bike is going in for it's 5000mile service today and they still have loads of wear on them. They're not quite as sticky as the Qualifiers, but then I don't ride on the track. I can still scrape the pegs and exhaust so I think they're good tyres. Also the bike seems to change direction easier on them.

·
The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules
1,422 Posts
Curious, whats everyone stateside been paying for a rear tire installed?

Dunlop D209 HD 180/55/17 ?
I've got a brand-new in the wrapper OE Dunlop Q rear for $100 if you want it.:clap:

·
Kinder gentler machine gun world
4,489 Posts
My local shop recommended Pirrelli Angels. Got them fitted a few weeks ago at 2050miles, the bike is going in for it's 5000mile service today and they still have loads of wear on them. They're not quite as sticky as the Qualifiers, but then I don't ride on the track. I can still scrape the pegs and exhaust so I think they're good tyres. Also the bike seems to change direction easier on them.
Yes I got the "Angels". Came highly recommended by a friend who rides a R1 and who is also one of my mechanics.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts