XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I previously posted, I've been riding for close to 40 years but saw something the other day that I had not before.

On a six lane urban roadway in my town, a guy was riding his bike normally - except at every stoplight he would stop angled 45 degrees to the left. He did it three times in a row so it must have been intentional.

I can see how this may be a good defensive riding tactic - if you see an impending rear-end collision coming you can "lane split" out of danger - but with this your bike mirrors are pointed in the wrong direction to use them. Unless you crane your head to the left, in which case you're not paying attention to anything in front, like the traffic signal.

Any comments?

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Never heard of, or have seen this before. Lane splitting is legal in California, so I do this to avoid the possibility of being sandwiched between cars if someone behind me is rear ended. Interesting to hear why this 45* tactic is used.

Reactions: murphydog

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,418 Posts
I have heard of this used in a turning lane. ie. angle to the right in a right hand turning lane and to the left in a left turning lane. This gives you control of the lane ( so some A--hole can't sneak inside of you) and makes you more visible.
But never heard of this used at a stop.:oops:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I grew up in So Cal and rode there for 23 years but never saw this there in all that time.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The Rider maybe a off duty police motor officer practicing his riding technique for blocking traffic in an intersection.
That is the only time i seen anybody stopping like that.
Otherwise the person is showing off that he riding a motorcycle?

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
2,058 Posts
Know a guy who does something like this as a technique to stop vehicles side swiping him should they take off from the head of the queue at traffic lights. I wonder if this is something along those lines. My friend won't just lane split to the front row of cars and stick himself out somewhat in front of them, as I do- he then puts his bike slightly across the lane of an adjacent car to make sure they see him and don't launch before he does.

I can see his rationale. A couple of years ago I was between up between a couple of cars at a local intersection, not in front of them that time, and was a bit distracted, thinking about something. Naturally I can't remember what. I was slow to react when the lights changed and the cars beside me were close. The guy on my R side must have got too close because I felt a slight jerking type impact at the rear of the bike, just as I had a brief sense of a blue fender close beside me on the R side. I realised what had happened but I wasn't interested in stopping as I was on my way to see my Dad who was near to passing away in an aged care place and I just gassed it and got out of there. When I got to my destination I saw that my R rider's footpeg had been tweaked downwards about 10 mm and was looking a bit sad. It must have been nipped by the sidewall of the car's L front tyre. Those HD footpegs are pretty solid, a steel construction and mounting fastener with rubber insert so it must have been a decent amount of force applied to it. Not long after I got a couple of Sato alloy pegs (thx again to member hhauto) and I try to pay attention better at traffic lights. Lane splitting has its benefits but also its risks!

J.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should have noted in the first post, he was 2-3 cars from the front of the line at the light, was not lane splitting and didn't take off in any particular hurry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I do something similar at times depending on the traffic flow & density. I would agree it's a defensive driving maneuver; I keep my angle set facing the safest direction between the cars and lane(s) if the need for a sudden escape arises. However It is generally less subtle than 45°. I also believe and have found it helps at being SEEN in daylight, you take up more lane, show more width, less likely to blend in with the vehicle infront of you.That could be the difference maker if for example a late braking vehicle/distracted driver behind you at a stale red-light.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not sure if this would be called old or new school but when riding and the moment the situation is appropriate; when stopping or slowing or in heavy surge traffic I will use my lane to ride in a graceful s pattern using engine breaking to minimize unnecessary brake wear, keep tire temperature, coasting for fuel consumption and pacing the traffic so my full stops are inrfrequent while also keeping air to the engine to cool.

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,418 Posts
Not sure if this would be called old or new school but when riding and the moment the situation is appropriate; when stopping or slowing or in heavy surge traffic I will use my lane to ride in a graceful s pattern using engine breaking to minimize unnecessary brake wear, keep tire temperature, coasting for fuel consumption and pacing the traffic so my full stops are inrfrequent while also keeping air to the engine to cool.
I have done that for years, just to make sure they know that I am there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Know a guy who does something like this as a technique to stop vehicles side swiping him should they take off from the head of the queue at traffic lights. I wonder if this is something along those lines. My friend won't just lane split to the front row of cars and stick himself out somewhat in front of them, as I do- he then puts his bike slightly across the lane of an adjacent car to make sure they see him and don't launch before he does.

I can see his rationale. A couple of years ago I was between up between a couple of cars at a local intersection, not in front of them that time, and was a bit distracted, thinking about something. Naturally I can't remember what. I was slow to react when the lights changed and the cars beside me were close. The guy on my R side must have got too close because I felt a slight jerking type impact at the rear of the bike, just as I had a brief sense of a blue fender close beside me on the R side. I realised what had happened but I wasn't interested in stopping as I was on my way to see my Dad who was near to passing away in an aged care place and I just gassed it and got out of there. When I got to my destination I saw that my R rider's footpeg had been tweaked downwards about 10 mm and was looking a bit sad. It must have been nipped by the sidewall of the car's L front tyre. Those HD footpegs are pretty solid, a steel construction and mounting fastener with rubber insert so it must have been a decent amount of force applied to it. Not long after I got a couple of Sato alloy pegs (thx again to member hhauto) and I try to pay attention better at traffic lights. Lane splitting has its benefits but also its risks!

J.
You were at an intersection.......ok........between two cars......and you decide to have bit of a daydream.....not ok . A "time and a place for eveything" my Friend .

·
Super Moderator
12,676 Posts
You were at an intersection.......ok........between two cars......and you decide to have bit of a daydream.....not ok . A "time and a place for eveything" my Friend .
I'll give the Shackman a pass on this one. He's been on here a long time and has never reported any crashes or near-misses. He even tripped to Colorado from Down Under to ride with the big boys on a huge XR meet-up :)

He was going to see his Dad who was near to passing away. Prolly a major distraction in and of itself. It seems to me that it ended OK for him. He was just letting us know how easy it can happen to any one of us. Cheers!

Reactions: hhauto

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll give the Shackman a pass on this one. He's been on here a long time and has never reported any crashes or near-misses. He even tripped to Colorado from Down Under to ride with the big boys on a huge XR meet-up :)

He was going to see his Dad who was near to passing away. Prolly a major distraction in and of itself. It seems to me that it ended OK for him. He was just letting us know how easy it can happen to any one of us. Cheers!
I , of course , had no idea nor way of knowing until now the situation with the Gentleman's Father , I meant no disrespect to him , he has my deepest sympathy for his loss , I would say the two worst days of my Life were the ones that I learned of the death of my wonderful Mother & Father .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts