XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
XR1200 2008
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the XR1200 site, a quick note to say hi to you all. I am a life long biker had just about every machine you could think of, except a Harley this is my first. I sat on an XR at a dealership back in 2008 liked it but did not buy one.
Now I have, can't pick it up just yet, as UK still in some sort of lock down. I hope to pick it up next month.
I have been building specials as well since the eighties, I use to build rigid chops, but back in 1986 had a bad accident and wrecked myself and my neck, so no more rigid rides for me. Still build specials but with good suspension(y) but I now want a good machine base as in the XR1200 to do mild upgrades on but not get the angle grinder out as is normal for me with a new bike in the shed. I want to keep this one looking pretty much as is cause I think its a great looking machine. Mine is the Orange and a 2008 model. So any info you guys might have to give me a heads up would be most appreciated.
Some of the upgrades have been done, ie Ohlins, Remus exhaust, Power-commander, I have not even seen the bike in the flesh yet, I think she might need a bit of TLC ie respray, but not that much else, looking forward to riding her.
So there you go, hello to you all and look forward to chatting with you all, and picking your brains
cheers for now Nige

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome from Northern Japan!

I come from sportsbikes but love the XR1200. It's fantastically fun! I think you will enjoy it, though parts are drying up.

I'll warn you though - the stock seat was designed by satan himself. I've gotten over the pain by switching to leather pants, and lowering the handlebars. The extra thiccness of the leather keeps my soft arse from suffering, unlike my riding jeans.

You will enjoy this thing though! Especially on the B-roads.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
You picked the fastest of the colors for your XR. Looks like the bike comes with a lot of nice upgrades. This is great because parts are starting to dry up for parts. Enjoy!(y)

·
Registered
XR1200 2008
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Timbit,
Thanks, Yes I am quite a big guy and I have a great guy that does seats refurbishment in leather or anything you want so I think that will maybe one of the first jobs to bolster up the seat maybe gel inserts.
thanks for the reply

·
Registered
XR1200 2008
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum!
You picked the fastest of the colors for your XR. Looks like the bike comes with a lot of nice upgrades. This is great because parts are starting to dry up for parts. Enjoy!(y)
Roadrash......great name Ive had that a few times, yes I realise I am a bit late to the party. I agree Orange must be the quickest ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
Welcome from across the pond in Connecticut, USA. Nice to have you aboard, sound like a well sorted XR1200 you have found with some desirable upgrades already done.
its a simple machine, anything you want, or need, to know about your XR, you can find here...all you have to do is ask.
My Mother was born in Keswick in the Lake District, as a young lad I visited the UK a few times, I wouldn't mind going back as a adult after all this lockdown business is resolved.
As far as being a Geezer, I think you'll find that a lot of us here fit into that category.
Regards
Roy

·
Registered
XR1200 2008
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome from across the pond in Connecticut, USA. Nice to have you aboard, sound like a well sorted XR1200 you have found with some desirable upgrades already done.
its a simple machine, anything you want, or need, to know about your XR, you can find here...all you have to do is ask.
My Mother was born in Keswick in the Lake District, as a young lad I visited the UK a few times, I wouldn't mind going back as a adult after all this lockdown business is resolved.
As far as being a Geezer, I think you'll find that a lot of us here fit into that category.
Regards
Roy
Hi Roy thank for reply Keswick I was there for a week just before the UK's second lockdown last September, I love the lakes too. I don't get up to the lakes as often as I would like. When I was married we used to go quite a lot in a car, but hey now single I can go more on the Harley.
Cheers Roy for the welcome.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Welcome from California, from a Newbie that doesn't have an XR1200 yet, but will in a few months. Loads of upgrades to available to make it your bike found on this place, and a lot of cool tips can be found here too.

·
HOW'S YER BUM FOR SPOTS?
3,553 Posts
Hi Nige, welcome from deepest darkest Dorset. I'm a big fan of the XR, especially in Orange When you get hold of your bike you will find that the Remus looks great but it is probably the worst power sapping exhaust out there. I could talk all day and night about what you could do to the bike but learning it for yourself is the best way of getting it to suit yourself. Hope to meet you out on the road sometime, I know I'm going to be buzzing up and down the country before April comes, let me know where you are.

·
Registered
XR1200 2008
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Nige, welcome from deepest darkest Dorset. I'm a big fan of the XR, especially in Orange When you get hold of your bike you will find that the Remus looks great but it is probably the worst power sapping exhaust out there. I could talk all day and night about what you could do to the bike but learning it for yourself is the best way of getting it to suit yourself. Hope to meet you out on the road sometime, I know I" m going to be buzzing up and down the country before April comes, let me know where you are.
Thanks for welcome, yes I have heard that the Remus can do that, but apparently it has been set up with a power commander, so will have to see when I get it. I have a mate with a dyno so might put her on there to see how she is doing.

·
Registered
XR1200 2008
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome from California, from a Newbie that doesn't have an XR1200 yet, but will in a few months. Loads of upgrades to available to make it your bike found on this place, and a lot of cool tips can be found here too.
Thanks for welcome you all seem a friendly bunch so far good stuff

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,749 Posts
Thanks for welcome you all seem a friendly bunch so far good stuff
Hi Nige and welcome from Melbourne, Australia. My name is John.
You've chosen a highly individual bike which has attracted an unusually welcoming and supportive forum. I found the same thing when I bought my orange XR ten years ago (Good Grief! Is is really that long?)
Like Roy in Connecticut says, just ask if you have any queries. I might add that Art in Dorset is pretty much the pre eminent XR guru in the UK, having had close to 10 of them at various intervals over the years and being extremely generous with advice & assistance to lots of other bods like me. So give him a shout if you get into difficulties.
Otherwise, post up a few pics of your new wheels once you've worked out the pic posting procedure, we love pics.
Cheers and congrats also,

J.

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,168 Posts
Welcome from Canada and the madness.
Some around here refer to the XR as a "STARTER KIT" but you have some nice mods already.
What is your definition of a "GEEZER"?

·
Registered
XR1200 2008
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Nige and welcome from Melbourne, Australia. My name is John.
You've chosen a highly individual bike which has attracted an unusually welcoming and supportive forum. I found the same thing when I bought my orange XR ten years ago (Good Grief! Is is really that long?)
Like Roy in Connecticut says, just ask if you have any queries. I might add that Art in Dorset is pretty much the pre eminent XR guru in the UK, having had close to 10 of them at various intervals over the years and being extremely generous with advice & assistance to lots of other bods like me. So give him a shout if you get into difficulties.
Otherwise, post up a few pics of your new wheels once you've worked out the pic posting procedure, we love pics.
Cheers and congrats also,

J.
Hi thanks for the welcome and the heads up on Art in Dorset. Is that his tag on this forum? Will post some pics when I eventually collect the wee beauty ! Believe it or not I paid for it in full back in January and have not seen her in the flesh yet.

·
Registered
XR1200 2008
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome from Canada and the madness.
Some around here refer to the XR as a "STARTER KIT" but you have some nice mods already.
What is your definition of a "GEEZER"?
Normally in England the definition of a geezer is a wide boy from London !
Thanks for the welcome 👍

·
HOW'S YER BUM FOR SPOTS?
3,553 Posts
Hi thanks for the welcome and the heads up on Art in Dorset. Is that his tag on this forum? Will post some pics when I eventually collect the wee beauty ! Believe it or not I paid for it in full back in January and have not seen her in the flesh yet.
Shack is right, I have had ten XR's , one of 'em I've now owned four times and have tried most accessories and modifications going. I'm still learning!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts