XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 57, been riding since 1980, live in the South Boston neighborhood of Boston with my wife and three kids. I'm a former Airborne & Ranger qualified Army officer, now a small business owner. I still play hockey, lacrosse and tennis but am glacially slow compared to my younger years. Do some sailing and boating with the kids as well.

Owned a total of five motorcycles, one BMW, one Kawasaki, and three Suzukis. Two of the Suzukis were the same model - a V-Strom DL650, one without ABS and the new one (2009) with ABS. I'm a pretty low mileage rider by V-Strom standards - since Spring 09 I've ridden about 10,000 miles on the old one and the new one I put on the road last summer. I mostly commute or take one or two day business trips in New England - if I can arrange a few customer visits in NH or VT, I try to do it on two wheels whenever possible. I try to get to at least one rally a year, usually some sort of adventure touring group in ME, NH or VT in the Fall.

I'm considering buying an XR1200 and registered here to get more info. What piqued my interest was the handling upgrade article in Hot Bikes. I'm fairly big and heavy (6'2 240) and don't waste any time in corners so suspension upgrades are pretty much required on anything I buy. I always liked the looks of the XR750. It would be a "second bike" just for fun.

Being totally honest I'm pretty turned off by some of the "lifestyle" riders (not to mention squids) and that has kept me out of HD showrooms. But it appears XR1200 owners are a different breed and are more into riding than socializing. I still haven't ridden one: closest I've gotten lately was a Buell Ulysses. But there are several for sale locally at reasonable prices so I' started looking around more seriously.

·
Super Moderator
12,645 Posts
Welcome!

Take a test ride.....................but don't forget your check book, cause you will be making a deal. And sweet deals can be had on XR's right now. :clap: :clap: :clap: Check around.

Oh, and welcome to the forum from the left coast. Cheers!

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
I'm considering buying an XR1200 and registered here to get more info. What piqued my interest was the handling upgrade article in Hot Bikes. I'm fairly big and heavy (6'2 240) and don't waste any time in corners so suspension upgrades are pretty much required on anything I buy. I always liked the looks of the XR750. It would be a "second bike" just for fun.

Being totally honest I'm pretty turned off by some of the "lifestyle" riders (not to mention squids) and that has kept me out of HD showrooms. But it appears XR1200 owners are a different breed and are more into riding than socializing. I still haven't ridden one: closest I've gotten lately was a Buell Ulysses. But there are several for sale locally at reasonable prices so I' started looking around more seriously.
The XR1200 is a PERFECT 2nd bike. And you won't find many lifestylers here.

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
I'm 57, been riding since 1980, live in the South Boston neighborhood of Boston with my wife and three kids. I'm a former Airborne & Ranger qualified Army officer, now a small business owner. I still play hockey, lacrosse and tennis but am glacially slow compared to my younger years. Do some sailing and boating with the kids as well.

Owned a total of five motorcycles, one BMW, one Kawasaki, and three Suzukis. Two of the Suzukis were the same model - a V-Strom DL650, one without ABS and the new one (2009) with ABS. I'm a pretty low mileage rider by V-Strom standards - since Spring 09 I've ridden about 10,000 miles on the old one and the new one I put on the road last summer. I mostly commute or take one or two day business trips in New England - if I can arrange a few customer visits in NH or VT, I try to do it on two wheels whenever possible. I try to get to at least one rally a year, usually some sort of adventure touring group in ME, NH or VT in the Fall.

That's funny....you described most of the members here! All of the people here are performance minded and have pretty much the same feelings as you about the "lifestyle" riders....(even though we choose to live and let live :clap:). This site was started when some of us migrated over from another site where most of the postings were discussions about chome and skull accessories.

Oh, and if you have any questions about the Hot Bike article, the guy that wrote it is on here....just send Streettracker a private message...he'll be happy to help, nicest guy in the world! :)

So, browse, enjoy....but if you do pick up an XR keep that new VSTROM......those are sweet!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take a test ride.....................but don't forget your check book, cause you will be making a deal. And sweet deals can be had on XR's right now. :clap: :clap: :clap: Check around.

Oh, and welcome to the forum from the left coast. Cheers!
Thanks.

One local dealer emailed me a price of $9,000 flat. And a local used 2009 with minimal miles has been offered for $7,500. But I'm thinking they will be $7K by October so I'm in no rush.

·
Fast Old Guy
78 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another rider who loves to go fast and have fun without the chrome and skulls:clap: I traded in my 09 Electra Glide. I tried to be a touring rider but I just couldn't do it. I love to go touring but without the "Live Style" and way more ground clearance!!
On my last trip I tested the XR and ended up buying it.:devil:

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
What's our FIRST bike, then? I've got a bicycle...
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

It is almost completely opposite of the XR1200 for me.

Long distance-short distance
cold weather-warm weather
open highways-city
2 up-solo
comfortable-uncomfortable
not as fun in twisties (though quite capable)-very fun in twisties
old man bike-hooligan bike
long fuel range-short fuel range
etc.
etc.
etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

Here's an update. I was considering this bike or a track-only bike as #2 as the DL650A I have is a near-ideal commuter and dirt-road strafer. I was at a charity event originating from Boston Harley and had a chance to "test-sit" the bike. Walked in and told the receptionist I was interested in an XR1200 and had some questions. She summoned a salesperson.

Where I come from (here), you usually shake hands and introduce yourself before conducting business. The salesperson walked right by my outstretched hand and over to the bike. I checked out the riding position (the bars would have to go: the exhaust seems massive!) asked him when they would have the newly-released XR1200X model and he answered that "they could give me a deal on a 2009."

Most people I know find Harley salespeople pretty professional. But this gent seemed to be a member of the "Sales prevention team." Bottom line I'll keep looking for a private sale bike. Bought a track-day bike in the meantime so it will have to be #3.

·
Kinder gentler machine gun world
4,489 Posts
Good luck in your search...we'll surely help you spend your money on "go faster" parts. From the sounds of your current ride, you'll really enjoy the XR. Remember, XR owners, aren't your usual Harley buyers or riders. And thats what makes us sooooooooo "Special".

·
Its good to have friends
2,308 Posts
Garandman, welcome to our forum, everything you have said pretty much echoes our philosophy on this site. you should fit right in. Get a good deal on a 2009 XR and you can get the upgraded suspension from H-D, for about $1400.00 front and rear, you can mail order so you won't even have to go into a dealership and not get your hand shaken......over

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If Harley dealers ever learned how to sell bikes to non-Harley owners, this bike would by 5X more popular......

·
www.jp2code.net
20,699 Posts
If Harley dealers ever learned how to sell bikes to non-Harley owners, this bike would by 5X more popular......
Check out our Classified section. There are some great bikes in there for sale (at low prices) that already have good (to fantastic) mods done to them. You still won't have to shake hands with your H-D salesman!

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
What track bike did you get?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What track bike did you get?
I bought a nearly new SV650SF and had a Penske shock put on the rear and Racetech emulators and new springs put on in front.

Reently I purchased a 2005 XL1200R at a can't-miss price, so I am looking at a few suspension upgrades. It's no XR but seems like a nice mellow bike. Has 1,165 miles on it.

·
Enjoying the Ride
1,144 Posts
I would say that I am not what most people would call a typical HD guy, but I absolutely love the XR. At 47, 6'1 and 250+ or -, I have changed my seat to the Corbin, the bars to the night rods, the shocks to the XR1200X's and typically ride 100 miles plus per trip and am most comfortable. And when I get together with my son on his Honda we have some great rides on some little known twisty river roads along the Missouri & Illinois border. I would do it all over again if I were in the market to buy.

About not being the typical HD rider, I am a pastor of a fundamental Bible believing church.

And the people of the small town where I live are fascinated that Harley makes a motorcycle that is not covered in chrome and/or skulls. At first, many would say; "It says Harley, but what is it?" This has only added to the fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
About not being the typical HD rider, I am a pastor of a fundamental Bible believing church.
Went to a show this winter and the CMA was selling CMA vests - with a pistol pocket. "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Sounds like some great riding you have! Here's hoping for a great season. I never "got" the skulls thing but if you are into that, some of the engravings on the colonial era graves around here are pretty interesting - usually a skull with wings. So many people took rubbings that the practice is now banned on the oldest graves as they were being damaged.

·
Enjoying the Ride
1,144 Posts
Went to a show this winter and the CMA was selling CMA vests - with a pistol pocket. "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"
Actually, Illinois is still holding out on conceal carry. There is to be a House vote on this within the next few weeks. I am in favor of this. If it passes my hardest question is --- which pistol to carry. The Kahr K9 is probably going to be the winner.

Also had a great men's fellowship last fall. We went to a gun show. The guys in my church are really giving some of their wives something to think about, a couple want to get an XR1200 and others have gotten into shooting and hunting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Motorcycles, and firearms - I'm not religious but throw in barbecue and that's my kind of church!
I'm pretty old school when i comes to CCW - S&W 3913.

·
Things are not always what they seem to be.
2,078 Posts
Motorcycles, and firearms - I'm not religious but throw in barbecue and that's my kind of church!
I'm pretty old school when i comes to CCW - S&W 3913.
Glock 22 .40 Cal. Like American Express-never leave home without it. I have carried Glocks for over 15 years and never has one jammed or given me problems.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts