XR1200 Owners Group banner
241 - 249 of 249 Posts

· Registered
XR1200 -2008
16 Posts
I hear a lot of concern on here about the oil-filter bung backing out. I've started to paint a dot on my oil filters as an easy way to glance down to see if the oil filter has moved at all. (I might have learned this trick here)

That, and as already stated - definitely carry a spare relay. I've been through two in 4 years and 6-7k miles of ownership.
Which model of relay and for which system? Good tip about the oil filter.(y)

· Administrator
13,031 Posts
I hear a lot of concern on here about the oil-filter bung backing out. I've started to paint a dot on my oil filters as an easy way for me to glance down to see if the oil filter has moved at all. (I might have learned this trick here)
Easy-peasy way to monitor the "bung". Thanks for posting that little trick.

· Registered
18 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but.....this is some of what I learned from reading 13 pages.

XROG Forums can go 13 pages without going off the rails.

Get one !!

Get a tuner

Ride it

Try different tires every 3,000 miles, get both and find what works for you

Get a black one!! (someone said orange but I think I’m too old for an orange one)

Get a tuner even for a stock bike

Get a spare relay or 2 and carry 1

Clean all connectors, fuses, and relays and cover in dielectric grease.

Fuel injection Tuner!

Check the screws holding the throttle butterfly plate in your throttlebody. Place a small drop of green loctite on each

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50

Get a tuner

Flip the mirrors

Patriot Top Fueler (PTF)

Aftermarket rear motor mounts

Learn to close the oil tank properly

Consult the XROG FORUM for any issues or questions, no matter how big or seemingly insignificant regarding the XROG.

These are just some highlights for me. There is more of course but I can't just repost the whole thing and things like getting an HD service manual and parts manual are just something I do (if they are available) etc

· Administrator
8,790 Posts

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Get out and show others you have an iconic H-D. Go ride with other XR Owners, and have fun, because life is too short. Yes, I am OK.

Reactions: bentiverstaurheim

· Registered
2011 white hot XR1200X
14 Posts
241 - 249 of 249 Posts