XR1200 Owners Group banner
221 - 240 of 249 Posts

· Sonya's a pretty kitty!
3,729 Posts
Says debbie downer.............
Wait until both models prove themselves. I've had a quick look at the emerging FTR1200 Owners Forum. It's uncanny how the early buyers are griping about lean running issues stock, unremarkable range and expensive spares. Does that remind you of anything?

Then there's the Bronx. Looks butch c/w the XR and is a true next gen HD for the 2020's...or at least the motor & trans is. 115 or 145 hp depending on capacity, Brembo's, and an actual, true to life rear seat. Wow!

Throw in enough rider-managing electronics to mimic trainer wheels and completely isolate home owners from attempting anything more involved than oil changes and you've got the complete dealer dream, IMHO. Sorry if I sound cynical, just very wary of gee-whiz tech till proven wrong.

FWIW, I crawled all over an FTR1200 S at the Melbourne CBD dealer a while back. They offered me $20K AUD (~$12K) USD changeover for my very good cond 2010 Fast Orange XR with 47K km, say 32K miles (and loaded with nice extras I might add).
The FTR S is nice to look at, seat a mite too high for me (I'm 5'7", that's 171 cm), I love the 120 hp and 6 speeds, great proper dual seat and Brembo's. But I detest chain drive and not too crazy about having even LESS fuel capacity at 13L. Let alone restarting the cycle of tuner/pipes/screen/heated grips (I ride year round), you know the rest. It never ends.

So my best tip for new XR owners? Just hang on to it.

J.

· Registered
98 Posts
New Tip BUY ONE I have done 70,000ks since buying mine in 2 to 3 years only fault i have had was having to replace the starter moter
as long as you service it regularly and keep electrics inspected you should have no worries like i have had, the best Harley i have bought
for the price

· "I know a few Roads"
142 Posts
BEST ADVICE....DO NOT BUY ONE !

Buy a FTR or wait for the Bronx!
Yeah buy an FTR so your right thigh and a** can get roasted every time your ride it, that goes for the scout too. - Gene

· Premium Member
151 Posts
If your an older person like me, don't get frustrated with it. They are not the easiest bikes to ride if your up in years and the body is getting a little creaky. Look to making it easier and more comfortable for you. Enjoy a great bike.

· Registered
XR1200 2008
92 Posts
Right on JimJr1945 I love mine and getting on in years and arthritis getting bad in hands and wrists.
No real advice except if you don’t get on with it sell it to me, I would give it a living home.

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Right on JimJr1945 I love mine and getting on in years and arthritis getting bad in hands and wrists.
No real advice except if you don’t get on with it sell it to me, I would give it a living home.
Get to the back of the line... 🤣

· Premium Member
2012 XR1200X
49 Posts
I've waited 12 years for mine and will never get rid of it it is in my will to give my son in law who i know will appreciate it , it only gets better with time. and i smoke my buddy on his FTR

Attachments

· Administrator
13,031 Posts
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Circle

ok your an idiot why tard are you here ?
This is an XR1200 forum full of folks that love their XRs. I questioned why someone would post advice "NOT TO BUY ONE", and you call me an "idiot" and are wondering why I'm here?

Laughable.......................

· Premium Member
2012 XR1200X
49 Posts
View attachment 250180

sorry geno i didnt meanYOU, i ment the guy who said dont buy is what this tard was trying to reply to.

This is an XR1200 forum full of folks that love their XRs. I questioned why someone would post advice "NOT TO BUY ONE", and you call me an "idiot" and are wondering why I'm here?

Laughable.......................

· Registered
1,741 Posts
Indian FTR? Aahhh…..the Polaris motorcycle brand using a old name from a manufacturer that went bankrupt and are made in Poland. FTR could be a Suzuki…….
Nah. It would have to be thousands cheaper, have tons of fans, unlimited supply of cheap parts, be dependable as hell, and be the best bang for the buck out there. The FTR is no Suzuki.

If you didn't guess, I love Suzuki, best of the budget bikes. I also love the fact Mir won a MotoGP championship on one, with only one other Suzuki on the track (well sometimes on the track).

· Registered
XR1200 -2008
16 Posts
Nah. It would have to be thousands cheaper, have tons of fans, unlimited supply of cheap parts, be dependable as hell, and be the best bang for the buck out there. The FTR is no Suzuki.

If you didn't guess, I love Suzuki, best of the budget bikes. I also love the fact Mir won a MotoGP championship on one, with only one other Suzuki on the track (well sometimes on the track).
What i mean is that Indian to me is overpriced bikes made by a atv company using a old name. The FTR is not very ”american” in the styling compared to HD imho. I am no huge fan of the new Sportster design eighter. 🧙‍♂️

· Braap!
2009 XR1200
350 Posts
I hear a lot of concern on here about the oil-filter bung backing out. I've started to paint a dot on my oil filters as an easy way for me to glance down to see if the oil filter has moved at all. (I might have learned this trick here)

That, and as already stated - definitely carry a spare relay. I've been through two in 4 years and 6-7k miles of ownership.

221 - 240 of 249 Posts