XR1200 Owners Group banner
201 - 220 of 249 Posts

· WTF???
15,969 Posts

· Minnesota XR Rider
118 Posts
New to the XR but been a life long Harley Rider. On the XR air box the screws to hold it together often rust if you wash the bike often or ride in the rain. Solution is to fill the tops with a bit of water proof grease. this way they don't rust and become an issue when servicing the air filter. A bit messy but if you have ever tried to get a stripped and rusty screw out of a 2 inch deep hole you will know what I am talking about!!

· WTF???
15,969 Posts

· "I know a few Roads"
142 Posts
Add some Frame Sliders, - Gene

· Registered
19 Posts
First, Wrap the header pipes. Purchase the appropriate color paint and apply when needed. Switch to Bridgestone T30 GT evo tires if you plan on carving the canyons and commuting. Good in the rain also. Next upgrade the seat. I opted for a saddleman. If you can, upgrade the gear shift assembly, Storz has a great kit. everything else should be decided after a couple thousand miles. I use a Dobeck EFI but most like the Power Commander or Patriot, all will give you better throttle response. Tons of torque for the twisties. If you want highway riding look into upgrading the sprokets to gie you the throttle reponse of a 6 speed. have fun and enjoy!!!

· Registered
21 Posts
1.Wheelie tickets can be very expensive! this bike tends to carry the front wheel lightly it lifts easily and once up it tends to want to stay up! i never have this issue with my Heritaqe softail? 2. old people can get out of wheelie tickets by explaining the bike is new to me i didnt know it would do that! 3.do not tell the officer once it was up i just decided to leave it up!

· Registered
1,741 Posts
My only advise for a new XR rider, who lives in an area without immediate access to good roads, would be to get some track days to learn the potential of the bike. For those in Southern California, Colorado, or western NC, carry on, your probably doing fine!

· Registered
10 Posts
be positive......use your imagination....it's the perfect harley to customise....they fast enough and handle real good, no need to get "bogged down" in narrow minded "keep it standard" nonsense, do what ya like......feel the breeze.

201 - 220 of 249 Posts