XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I installed new bars on mine last night and I really like the change. These are the 56110-98 bars which were apparently on Sportsters from '98 to '03, and are labeled for the "1200S". These bars are about 4" narrower than the 56981-07 Night Rod bars (width is 26.75"), have similar rise, and an additional 1.5" of pullback. All-in-all, for me, the hand position is comfortable, and I've lost the feeling of having beach bars on a sport bike. I'm attaching some pics, but it was dark when I cleaned up and I'll get a better "after" shot later...

(Ed. note: I swapped out for some better after pictures. The light is not perfect but they should show the changes better.)

The front before:

And, the front after:

From the side (before):

And, from the side (after):

I'll try to get better after photos later. (Ed. note: Updated "after" pictures inserted.)

Attachments

·
Reputation points: -4
1,205 Posts
Hey Fade... they seem lower and more forward than original, correct? A more sporty position?

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Fade... they seem lower and more forward than original, correct? A more sporty position?
True!

I tried to measure them in the same orientation as on the bike, and as best I can tell, the new bars are about 5" narrower, with 2" less rise and 3" less pullback.

I wanted something that would help me scoop less wind when I take it to the drag strip...

·
Reputation points: -4
1,205 Posts
Me likey!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Me likey!!!
And - one of the best things about them was - they are only 30$, discounted.

That and the 30 minutes to install them and dink around with adjustments, is an awful cheap way to get a significant though not radical change that will let me find my ideal riding position...

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the pics! I've been considering replacement bars and that one comes close to what I had in mind.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I don't like the pullback they have. It would hurt my ankles. That's why I'm going with the nightrod bars.
Don't you have an issue with that?

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Phaedrus...........

True!

I tried to measure them in the same orientation as on the bike, and as best I can tell, the new bars are about 5" narrower, with 2" less rise and 3" less pullback.

I wanted something that would help me scoop less wind when I take it to the drag strip...
Thanks for the pics and info. Are the new bars dimpled? Any issues with lock-to-lock tank clearance?

Thanks again!

relic

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the pics and info. Are the new bars dimpled? Any issues with lock-to-lock tank clearance?

Thanks again!

relic
Yes the bars are dimpled. They are for an older model but have the same end configuration. And - while I was worried about tank clearance when I ordered them - they are perfect. They run along the lines of the tank when at lock, but have a couple inches of clearance.

I'm going to try to update the after picks in a moment with some I just took in daylight.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
I don't like the pullback they have. It would hurt my ankles. That's why I'm going with the nightrod bars.
Don't you have an issue with that?

Benny, for now I like them. I'm 5'10" and the bike fits me well. I've got even foot/butt/hand weight distribution like it is. It's all up to what feels good for you!

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Mirrors?

Yes the bars are dimpled. They are for an older model but have the same end configuration. And - while I was worried about tank clearance when I ordered them - they are perfect. They run along the lines of the tank when at lock, but have a couple inches of clearance.

I'm going to try to update the after picks in a moment with some I just took in daylight.
Thanks for your response. How are the mirrors with such narrow bars? Are you looking to replace them (and if you do please met us know what works)?

relic

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your response. How are the mirrors with such narrow bars? Are you looking to replace them (and if you do please met us know what works)?

relic
The mirrors aren't very useful as is. There are a bunch of good threads popping up on bar end and other mirror options. I'm going to try changing to a set of HD tapered long stem mirrors first, and then go from there...

G

·
Discussion Starter #13

Where did you buy them for 30$? I have the Night Rod bars on now and the reach is pretty far for me. I have been considering trying these bars.
Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter #14

Where did you buy them for 30$? I have the Night Rod bars on now and the reach is pretty far for me. I have been considering trying these bars.
Thanks
I bought them from Zanotti www.zanottimotor.com. Others do 20% off also.

(This is where I got my G2 Quick-Turn throttle sleeve for $20 too. Zanotti discounts Drag Specialties parts also.)

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
56110-98

After almost a year with the 56110-98 bars and a lot of highway time, including a couple of weeks out touring, I really like the Harley 56110-98 handlebars. They are narrower and a little more aggressive than the Nightrod bars, but for me they are a comfortable ride. In the wind, the breeze even helps unload your body a little and instead of feeling blown back off seat, they are a very natural position. 'Course wimps with fairings and forward rests might like apes or pullback bars... ;)

Harley was good enough to post a pic comparing the stock bars and the 56110-98 bars in their 2010 parts catalog . The wider bars below are stock. The narrower ones are mine. The Nightrod would be in between.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
New Bars

Phaedrus, I am sure some might see this question or at least the subject matter, as heresy, but I have my stock bars with my mirrors monted upside down, and the view to the rear is superb. Looks a little strange but they work.

Do you think this set-up would work with these bars? They seem like they would offer a more natural riding position.

Thanks

paul

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Phaedrus, I am sure some might see this question or at least the subject matter, as heresy, but I have my stock bars with my mirrors monted upside down, and the view to the rear is superb. Looks a little strange but they work.

Do you think this set-up would work with these bars? They seem like they would offer a more natural riding position.

Thanks

paul
I'm not sure. I have the long stem mirrors mounted upright and they work fine for me. The bars lay in nicely along the tank when turned and I never checked to see how clearance would be if the mirrors were turned upside down. And, HD flipped the mirrors on the '48, so I guess it can't be too much heresy.

Guess I just couldn't get used to the beach bar feel of the stock bars...

·
I have come here to defeat you Ricky Booby!
72 Posts
I tried Upside down stock mirrors on the Night Rod bar and it doesn't work

·
Central Cal Coast Chapter
387 Posts
Add me to the list of P/N 56110-98 bar fans. I got them Thursday, put them on last night and took my first ride today. I am very, very happy with the change. I no longer feel like I'm being forced backwards by the bars and with the more forward position of my torso the feet pegs feel much more natural.

I got my third ride on the XR today (it has been raining a lot here in California). Wow, between a lot of adjusting and tweaking to suit my size and style and getting more used to the bike I have to say I'm falling in love with this thing. It is really, really fun on a twisty road and generally puts a smile on my face. I also got 132 miles to the low fuel light, that is a pretty useful range. :clap:

Goose

1 - 20 of 51 Posts