XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Crikey mate!
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to installing the new Night Rod Special handle bars and black levers.

Although I haven't ridden it yet, I'm really liking the way the bars feel (and look). The mirrors seem like they'll do a better job of showing me what's behind instead of just looking at my shoulders.

On the negative; the clutch cable seems too long now and the brake cable could be routed/angled better. I'm thinking about having new SS braided brake lines made up which would solve that problem, but not sure if anything can be done about the clutch cable.

Anyway, here's a few pics - you can see what's going on with the cables in the second pic...

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
Too lazy to get up and look

My bike is in the garage right now, couldn't you route the clutch to the other side of the headlight to take up some of the slack? How much difference is there in the new bars, are they lower, how much? Same width and pullback?

I like the look of the black levers and black bar. Nice job.

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
very nice...

Nice job rhino! Can't wait for a ride review of the new bars....oh, and glad you're here....weclome!

G

·
Hey that really looks nice man! :)

where do you have that lenses from for the turn signals?
standard sportster lenses do not fit in the back...
are smoked lenses available now for the Xr too??

Same with the smoked rear light lens..I only find laydown lenses everywhere...where you got the smoked stuff rom?

The bars look very nice! I agree with you about the clutch cable and the brake lines. maybe you get a shorter aftermarket clutch cable somewhere? Same goes for the brake line...

·
Crikey mate!
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try to answer a few questions;

The stock cable, with the current set up, is not long enough to re-route around the headlight. Apparently the 883R clutch cable, at 52" in length, is a perfect (length wise) replacement for the clutch cable.

Bars are Black Handlebar for Night Rod # 56981-07

Smoked turn signals info

I'm going to work with an indy shop to get the brake lines made up - want to get rid of that junk under the lower triple tree and go with more direct, shorter, SS lines

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
-Jack

G

·
Benny,

About how much difference is there in drop between your new bars and the originals? The new bars look flatter in the photos.

G

·
Ron P...it's rhinowerx bike ;)
mine is the black one with the Remus..

Rhinowerx...
that rearlight...I looked it up on the net. it does have a bar and shield logo?? that must be upside down now on the XR??

·
Crikey mate!
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rhinowerx...
that rearlight...I looked it up on the net. it does have a bar and shield logo?? that must be upside down now on the XR??
Benny,

Tail light is right way up. Bar and shield logo is a stick on deal that I chose not to stick on ;)

Hope you don't mind, I used a couple of your pictures to quickly put together a comparison of the bars.

The bars a lower and have less pull back (don't have specific measurements), and while it doesn't look like much, I't makes a enough of difference.

I think the second set of pictures helps to illustrate the (difference) angle of the mirrors

Hope this helps

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
Bars...

~

Maybe it's because I'm not very tall...

Or maybe it's because I started out on flat trackers almost exactly four decades ago...

Or that the XR1200 is, in essence, in many ways supposed to be a street version, or at least embody the character, of an XR750 dirt tracker...

But I love the stock bars. Even when the road gets twisty. Even on longer rides that run the tank dry... I even like the way they look. Of course, they probably wouldn't look *right* on any other bike... :D

Dallara

~

G

·
Thanks.

Are you running the stock mirrors or the extended mirrors? I have the extended ones on my bike and have decent rearwards visibility.

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
Mirrors...

~

Thanks to Ron I am running the "extended" mirrors, and all I can say is there is a very substantial improvement in vision over the stockers. And the best thing about them is that you literally cannot tell them from stock. So far no one has even noticed I have the "extended" mirrors on mine, and that includes even when it was parked near another XR1200 at the shop where I bought it.

Terrific difference when on the bike, though.

Thanks, Ron!

Dallara

~

G

·
All too happy to help.

I'm giving serious thought to the handlebar swap because I feel like I'm a little more upright than I want to be. I like a slight forward lean like my BMW has, but not hunched over like my Ducati Sport 1000 had.

My local shop has one set of the bars in stock, so I'm considering swapping my old ones out when I get the braided brake lines installed.

G

·
Benny,

Tail light is right way up. Bar and shield logo is a stick on deal that I chose not to stick on ;)

Hope you don't mind, I used a couple of your pictures to quickly put together a comparison of the bars.

The bars a lower and have less pull back (don't have specific measurements), and while it doesn't look like much, I't makes a enough of difference.

I think the second set of pictures helps to illustrate the (difference) angle of the mirrors

Hope this helps

thanks for the info...I get the same parts too then :)

you mirrored my bike in the second pic...looks funny..that's the way scotty's bike should look :D

I really dig those bars...but I like the stockers too

G

·
that turn signal lens kit...everywhere you read it's two lenses and two bulbs? is that true? I thought it's a kit of four???

1 - 20 of 63 Posts