XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Keeping My Knees in the Breeze
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there fancy joining me on this http://www.nationalroadrally.co.uk/2013/about.php ?
I entered the National Rally in 1999 and failed at 4am Sunday morning when I was doing xxx - er riding briskly on my 1200 Bandit and not until it was too late did I see the row of house bricks some clown had placed across the road near Clowne, Derbys.
Buckled both wheels and deflated the tyres. Put me out of the rally.
Didn't fall off though :0)
I've always fancied entering again, so this year I am.
And I'll be proudly wearing my XR1200 T-shirt, courtesy of JeffB

·
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm interested, I'll need to check the date as I have a 46mile walk around then, but that sounds good!
Great John!
Wittering in Lincs?
Easy for us to hook up then.
Let me know once you've decided and we'll get together.

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
just read the discription of this event.....It sounds great........little to far for me to join though :).....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Which one are you thinking of doing? I've fancied a go at this. Trouble is I'm at 1,000 bikes the weekend after, so I may have trouble with SWMBO

·
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like I'm free that weekend, any preparation that I need to do?
Hi John, that's great. 1st step is to go on the website and register. It costs £29 to book online (Gold level). The ACU will send out your pack nearer the date, enough time to plan your route etc. I've booked for Gold level. I know the Druids MCC are running the Grantham control point, so that will be definitely on my route, they're a great bunch. If you'd like to team up, it doesn't cost any extra to re-enter as a team. Let me know what you decide, no pressure either way.

·
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just read the discription of this event.....It sounds great........little to far for me to join though :).....
Bah! Any excuse :rolleyes:
I'm sure you'll be with us in spirit magoo :)

·
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which one are you thinking of doing? I've fancied a go at this. Trouble is I'm at 1,000 bikes the weekend after, so I may have trouble with SWMBO
Hi cb, just seen your post after replying to SpeedTorque. Gold level is the one I'm going for. Even if you decide to go for bronze, given your commitment the following weekend (and whatever SWMBO trouble means?), we could still maybe start at the same place, as you're pretty close to where I live.
It would be good to meet another XR1200 owner in person. I went to Harleyworld's birthday bash last Saturday at Chesterfield. There was only one other XR1200 there, and I didn't get to meet the owner, he left while I was inside the shop or somewhere.

·
Registered
336 Posts
She Who Must Be Obeyed - It's from Rumpole I think.

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts

·
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She Who Must Be Obeyed - It's from Rumpole I think.
Aye, it somehow jumped into my head when I was out walking the dog earlier.
I didn't even know I was thinking about it :)

Let us know what you decide to do about the National.
Cheers..........

·
Registered
336 Posts
Aye, it somehow jumped into my head when I was out walking the dog earlier.
I didn't even know I was thinking about it :)

Let us know what you decide to do about the National.
Cheers..........
Working away from home this week. Will "discuss" with SWMBO over the weekend

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well we did it. 540 miles (well 545 but lets not go there) on the rally + another 70 for me with the travel on each end, in 20 hours or so overnight. No mechanical issues at all with either XR, and they returned over 50 MPG (to a man-sized UK gallon).

Surprisingly comfortable as well, probably helped by the fact that the controls were never more than 40 miles apart, so much hopping on & off the bike & drinking of tea etc.

Photos to follow - I only took a couple at the Ace Cafe, Lippo took most.

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
Well we did it. 540 miles (well 545 but lets not go there) on the rally + another 70 for me with the travel on each end, in 20 hours or so overnight. No mechanical issues at all with either XR, and they returned over 50 MPG (to a man-sized UK gallon).

Surprisingly comfortable as well, probably helped by the fact that the controls were never more than 40 miles apart, so much hopping on & off the bike & drinking of tea etc.

Photos to follow - I only took a couple at the Ace Cafe, Lippo took most.

:clap: :clap: :clap: great job guys!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts