XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm seriously thinking of importing my Cagiva V-Raptor 1000 into the US. I could use some help. It seems the feds make this real difficult, tedious and expensive (up to 150% vehicle value in taxes :censored:... good thing its cheap)
As far as I know this bike was never sold in the US, yet the headlights, turn signals and mirrors have DOT and SAE markings on them. There are e3 and e2 markings on the bike as well (e3 on the exhaust). I imagine that these are emissions standards and safety standards. Has anyone tried to import a bike (or car) into the US?
20111225_155325.jpg

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts
Haven't dealt with this in MANY years since I had a car that didn't belong here
Google importing Grey Market Vehicles and go from there. Many states DMV web sites have information on this as well.
Good Luck
where is the bike now????

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ship it as parts, Some of the Sprinter van we sold were put together and then taken apart to ship to the USA.

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts
Ship it as parts, Some of the Sprinter van we sold were put together and then taken apart to ship to the USA.
How on earth could you import an entire body for a vehicle without raising a Customs eyebrow? And then how could you register them without a US legal VIN?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Not sure how it works but for shipping it cheaper as parts. in Maryland you could reg it as a custom built.

The State defines a custom-built vehicle as any motor vehicle that has been assembled or completely reconstructed using new or used parts. Custom vehicles are registered with the make as "custom-built" and include kit cars, glider kits, homemade trailers, homemade motorcycles and reconstructed vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts
Not sure how it works but for shipping it cheaper as parts. in Maryland you could reg it as a custom built.

The State defines a custom-built vehicle as any motor vehicle that has been assembled or completely reconstructed using new or used parts. Custom vehicles are registered with the make as "custom-built" and include kit cars, glider kits, homemade trailers, homemade motorcycles and reconstructed vehicles.
Interesting. In California, it would probably never even get in being a disassembled new car, but if it did and you tried to register it as a "kit Car" (what they are considered here) it would still have to meet the current smog and safety regs, just like a non Grey market version.

·
Necessity is the Mother of INVENTION,,,,Fear is re
6,669 Posts
Interesting. In California, it would probably never even get in being a disassembled new car, but if it did and you tried to register it as a "kit Car" (what they are considered here) it would still have to meet the current smog and safety regs, just like a non Grey market version.
Don that because all of all those crazy people in your beautiful state.
"Yesterdays flower child is today's blooming idiot" :devil:

·
Scaring the crap out of Sportbikes everywhere.
1,029 Posts
HAHA, that was great.
You are right Jeff, love living here but it sucks sometimes, and can you believe these idiots voted for Jerry Brown again?!:stupid:And don't get me started about the legislature:censored::censored:...OK, sorry, I'll be quiet now,... beautiful bike.

·
WTF???
15,959 Posts

·
Kinder gentler machine gun world
4,489 Posts
:pinch::pinch::pinch::pinch::pinch:Did he just say that?????????........PC right out the window

However I must agree............:whistling:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts