XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I piss excellence!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jorge Lorenzo has been a bottleneck for all the rider contracts for next year on the motogp circuit. He has a press conference scheduled at Indy and speculation is he will announce a 2 year deal with Ducati. About 8 million a year and #1 team rider designation.

Stoner's announcement two weeks ago that he was gonna take the next three races off pretty much ends his deal with Ducati.

If lorenzo make this announcement you'll see a lot of shuffling in its wake. Among the more interesting rumors are Nicky Hayden going to Yamaha as Rossi's #2 rider, and its almost certain Ben Spies will have a motogp ride.

I have no idea where Stoner will end up.

Love to see Hayden on a Yamaha....that will make streettrackers day!

If Lorenzo can straighten out the desmo machine next year should be interesting. Italian engineering vs Japanese budgets...but I guess its always been that way.

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
Regarding Spies, He should stay in WSB for at least another year and establish his performance and gain more time on the world stage and then move to Moto GP. If you move too early it is hard to move back and keep respect. Nicky would be doing much better if we spent some time in WSB instead of jumping from AMA to moto GP. Don't throw Spies to the Wolves Yet. :D Later,

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
speculation is he will announce a 2 year deal with Ducati. About 8 million a year and #1 team rider designation.
There is a lot of conjecture around regarding this, yet Lorenzo has already said this week that he prefers to stay at Yamaha if possible because that is the most competitive package at the moment. If he moves it will be for money rather than to win the title in 2010 that's for sure.

There are all sorts of rumours flying around that Marlboro are unhappy with Stoner because he avoids press events and is a miserable git, so want him out, and that Stoner & Ducati have had a massive row following the Donington fiasco. However, something that the press are forgetting is this. Stoner already has a contract for 2010 signed and sealed with Ducati. Even his enforced absence at the moment will be unlikely to make that contract void, so if he decided he wants to return next year for Ducati they may not have much choice other than to try and buy him out of a very expensive contract. He is the number 1 Ducati rider and the only one to score any decent results, so they would be foolish to cast him aside just yet in favour of another unknown factor (on the Ducati at least) such as Lorenzo.

This makes it much more likely that it is Hayden's slot that Lorenzo would take rather than Stoners, and that present more problems for Ducati, because they have an option on Hayden for 2010 that they have been saying they want to honour and that the final decision rests with Nicky. If they offer Lorenzo the place that means going back on their previous agreements and could mean another expensive payout to Hayden instead.

Another strange factor that could affect who goes where, is that Honda have announced that they have done deals with both Pedrosa and Dovizioso for 2010 yet both riders now deny signing any deal and both say it is not a finalised process by any means and are looking for assurances from Honda before they sign. Both are looking to Yamaha for a ride should Lorenzo jump ship (commit hari kari) by signing for Ducati.

Personally, I expect Lorenzo to sign for Yamaha soon and the Honda duo to follow suit and sign for HRC, but wouldn't be surprised to see anything happen this year ;)

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
There is a lot of conjecture around regarding this, yet Lorenzo has already said this week that he prefers to stay at Yamaha if possible because that is the most competitive package at the moment. If he moves it will be for money rather than to win the title in 2010 that's for sure.

There are all sorts of rumours flying around that Marlboro are unhappy with Stoner because he avoids press events and is a miserable git, so want him out, and that Stoner & Ducati have had a massive row following the Donington fiasco. However, something that the press are forgetting is this. Stoner already has a contract for 2010 signed and sealed with Ducati. Even his enforced absence at the moment will be unlikely to make that contract void, so if he decided he wants to return next year for Ducati they may not have much choice other than to try and buy him out of a very expensive contract. He is the number 1 Ducati rider and the only one to score any decent results, so they would be foolish to cast him aside just yet in favour of another unknown factor (on the Ducati at least) such as Lorenzo.

This makes it much more likely that it is Hayden's slot that Lorenzo would take rather than Stoners, and that present more problems for Ducati, because they have an option on Hayden for 2010 that they have been saying they want to honour and that the final decision rests with Nicky. If they offer Lorenzo the place that means going back on their previous agreements and could mean another expensive payout to Hayden instead.

Another strange factor that could affect who goes where, is that Honda have announced that they have done deals with both Pedrosa and Dovizioso for 2010 yet both riders now deny signing any deal and both say it is not a finalised process by any means and are looking for assurances from Honda before they sign. Both are looking to Yamaha for a ride should Lorenzo jump ship (commit hari kari) by signing for Ducati.

Personally, I expect Lorenzo to sign for Yamaha soon and the Honda duo to follow suit and sign for HRC, but wouldn't be surprised to see anything happen this year ;)
Great analysis Matt! I just can't see Stoner and Lorenzo on the same team. These guys all have HUGE egos (and cajones)...none of them want to be a #2 rider. I think they'd prefer to be a #1 rider on a second rate team than a #2 on a winning team. That's Lorenzo's problem with Yamaha now.

I saw the Honda statement about Pedrosa and Dovizioso. The press was speculating Honda had talked to Lorenzo, couldn't get close on terms, so tried to move quickly to secure Pedrosa and Dovizioso at the same time saying they had nothing for Lorenzo. Lorenzo, of course, claims to have firm offers from ALL the manufacturers.

Ha! I'm enjoying the drama of it all....its a regular Peyton Place out there!

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
Magoo, rumour has it that your getting an Ohlins sponsorship.
Ironic, isn't it? All the years I spent racing in the dirt ('72-'95) I relied on reverse sponsorships. You know, I'd go to KTM and tell 'em I was going to race a KTM that year, they'd freak out and buy me a Husky. Tell Metzler I was going to run their tires, they'd buy me a season's worth of Dunlops.

Ying and yang, you know.....

: )

·
Its good to have friends
2,308 Posts
Ironic, isn't it? All the years I spent racing in the dirt ('72-'95) I relied on reverse sponsorships. You know, I'd go to KTM and tell 'em I was going to race a KTM that year, they'd freak out and buy me a Husky. Tell Metzler I was going to run their tires, they'd buy me a season's worth of Dunlops.

Ying and yang, you know.....

: )
Maybe Showa is behind this!!!!!!

·
WTF???
15,969 Posts

Attachments

·
The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules
1,422 Posts
I haven't been paying a lot of attention to MGP this year, but it's no secret that Stoner is the only one who can ride the Ducati fast enough to win. I know he's been injured a lot the past couple of years, but I wasn't aware he was having probs with his team. I can't see Hayden being with them next year. They need to take a chance with someone else. The bike doesn't agree with him in any way shape or form, plus he's been on a downward spiral for a while now. He needs to go to WSB and see if he can get his mojo back.
If Spies wins the title this year, he'll be in MGP next. He may go either way, and if he doesn't at least get picked up by a contender if he wins the title, MGP will lose all of my respect.
I hate the Spanish contingent, and could care less where any of 'em end up next year.

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
How awkward it must be...Hayden talked a little this weekend about the rumors flying around....he knows, in his words, Ducati "has the checkbook open" for Lorenzo.

Stoner, on the other hand, is getting some support from industry watchers, saying he made the right decision to skip the three races to try to recover from his "mystery illness". To me his mystery illness sounds like the "screw you Ducati" flu.

So, Lorenzo, with the typical Spaniard bullfighter attitude, is still playing hs cards close to his chest. He is clearly playing the manufacturers off against each other trying to squeeze out the best deal. Frankly, after all this drama, I wouldn't be surprized to see him stay with Yamaha.

Its building to a pretty dramatic climax for Indy.

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
So, Lorenzo, with the typical Spaniard bullfighter attitude, is still playing hs cards close to his chest. He is clearly playing the manufacturers off against each other trying to squeeze out the best deal. Frankly, after all this drama, I wouldn't be surprized to see him stay with Yamaha.

Its building to a pretty dramatic climax for Indy.
To be honest I never thought Lorenzo would move anywhere from Yamaha. He is just playing russian roulette and is hoping that Yamaha will be first to blink.
They have the most competitive package and he certainly won't win anything on a Ducati or a Honda at the moment.

I quite like(d) Lorenzo as a rider, but in a way I hope that both Yamaha and Ducati tell him there is no room in the team just to repay his lack of loyalty:)
If he hadn't been on the same bike as Rossi so far he wouldn't have been anywhere near the front, and he needs to realise that his worth is nowhere near where he thinks it is.

Vermeulen has been confirmed to leave Suzuki at the end of the year (unsurprisingly) and I suspect he will be another rider returning to WSB despite winning Suzuki's only 4 stroke GP. I suspect he will be joined by Toseland and maybe even Colin Edwards, although Edwards seems to be a pretty sure bet to keep his place now. DORNA are rumoured to be bringing pressure on Tech 3 and willing to pay to keep Toseland in his seat, as it brings higher viewing figures to the BBC coverage of MotoGP in the UK. I would rather see a good rider in the seat regardless of nationality.

Unfortunately the purse strings of MotoGP are held firmly by Dorna and the Spanish sponsors, so they get to decide a lot of the rider lineup :(

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
I quite like(d) Lorenzo as a rider, but in a way I hope that both Yamaha and Ducati tell him there is no room in the team just to repay his lack of loyalty:)
If he hadn't been on the same bike as Rossi so far he wouldn't have been anywhere near the front, and he needs to realise that his worth is nowhere near where he thinks it is.
So true!

As Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

I believe in the 80/20 rule (it works 80% of the time:) )....in motogp I believe the rider is 80% of the equation. Lorenzo is certainly smokin' fast but what would the season have been if he been on a Honda or, god forbid, a Suzuki? The Yamaha makes Lorenzo better than he would be otherwise....when he tries to push Rossi he falls off. He is a man who doesn't know his limitations.

Given equal machinery I think Stoner is the second best rider in motogp today, not Lorenzo.

Now that I'm through pontificating I must admit that even the slowest guy on the circuit is an amazing human being of whom I am in awe!

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
Lorenzo signed with Yamaha. It's on all the major sites.
From Matt on anohter thread ;
Lorenzo has today announced that he has signed for Yamaha (no surprise there then) for 2010, which pretty much pencils in every other team exept Tech 3, who are still waiting for Ben Spies to decide his future.
Ducati will remain unchanged, with Hayden getting another year to try and tame the beast, although it is still unclear if Stoner will actually return at all. If not then expect Kallio to take his place full time.
HRC riders Pedrosa and Dovi will now of course rubber stamp their new contracts, as the only stumbling block was the slim chance of a Yamaha ride for Pedrosa should Lorenzo leave.
Just the minor places to fill now then, but after all the speculation it appears that nothing much has changed

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.