XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
anybody of you use the Mueller Easy Clutch? I would like to know about your experience.

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts
If you do a search, I'm pretty sure this was discussed at length a while back

·
www.jp2code.net
20,692 Posts
Looks like there is very little our world famous search function is pulling up on the single word "Mueller".

I found 2 threads:

Thread 1 - Agonizing decision:

Thank you. You mentioned clutch hand. Have you tried a Mueller (spelling may be off) clutch release? I installed one years ago on an Evo project bike. They do indeed work as advertised. A bit expensive, but I sold guys on them for years when I worked at the dealer. Never a bad word after their installs.
Hi Beardo,
Glad to see you ARE going to ride your XR.
The Muller clutch part had rearranged geometry on the clutch release in the primary to make it a lighter pull, same as the other design whose name escapes me.
H-D redesigned their part to give a lighter pull on Big Twins in I think 2006 and I am fairly sure this followed onto Sportsters.
You could try an adjustable for reach lever like the Oberon which I use on my XR1200X. Much more comfortable.
Ride Safe and Soon.

Alex
Thread 2 - A little paint, A little tape and a little cloth...:

You're right but a Clutchlite cost 1/3 of a Mueller. Phat Performance has them for $37. Reduces effort by 20,30 or 40 percent. I have the HD sport suspension on order but I'm still sitting out a 45 day back order. How do you like the black pipes and forks?

Really, not much on Mueller.

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
Try 'Muller' Power Clutch instead :)

I have had one of these on ALL of my Buell and H-D SPortster bikes since 2002 and they are brilliant. I really don't know why they are not fitted at the factory.

Don't confuse them with the cheap bolt on 'clutch lite' type devices as they work in a completely different manner. Rather than just adding a longer actuating lever the Muller clutch replaces the whole ramp assembly with a new part and new bearings. Believe me they work extremely well and we have sold hundreds of them over the years :)

·
www.jp2code.net
20,692 Posts
Try 'Muller' Power Clutch instead :)

I have had one of these on ALL of my Buell and H-D SPortster bikes since 2002 and they are brilliant. I really don't know why they are not fitted at the factory.

Don't confuse them with the cheap bolt on 'clutch lite' type devices as they work in a completely different manner. Rather than just adding a longer actuating lever the Muller clutch replaces the whole ramp assembly with a new part and new bearings. Believe me they work extremely well and we have sold hundreds of them over the years :)
Matt, you are too modest, so I'll do it for you:

Muller Power Clutch
Price: UK£122.44

This ingenious device replaces the stock clutch ramp assembly completely and reduces the effort required to operate the clutch lever by an amazing 40%.

Simple to fit in around 30 minutes and comes with full instructions.

Fits all H-D SPortster and Buell models from 94-present.

Link: Muller Power Clutch

·
Endeavor to Persevere!
5,336 Posts
A tennis ball is around a buck. Practice squeezing it 20-50 times a day with each hand. In a month or two that clutch will be childs play. Plus you will start getting them Popeye forarms that the ladies love. :)

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
The muller clutch is a great addition if you run the screaming eagle or similar stiffer clutch plate. If you are using the stock clutch plate why bother...it is soft enough.

·
Scaring the crap out of Sportbikes everywhere.
1,029 Posts
I use a Mueller Easy Clutch on my XR, and no one has ever called me soft or weak, not to my face and not behind my back. I bought the XR to commute and it helps during stop and go traffic, even in L.A where we can split lanes there are times when you can only move a couple of feet at a time and you are constantly pulling the clutch, a stiff pull gets old after miles of this.
Go ahead get one, it makes the bike better and does not affect the clutch's grip. And if anyone gives you a hard time let me know:devil:.

·
Necessity is the Mother of INVENTION,,,,Fear is re
6,669 Posts
Phad has one on his bike see if he comments on it on his sight. I know he uses the heavy clutch spring in conjunction with it

·
I do not own a Citroen!
103 Posts
+1 I use my XR to commute to work which involves negotiating over 30 traffic signals each way. I'm not on a macho trip, so for me, the Muller Easy Clutch is a welcome addition to my bike. :cool:

·
WTF???
15,959 Posts
I use a Mueller Easy Clutch on my XR, and no one has ever called me soft or weak, not to my face and not behind my back. I bought the XR to commute and it helps during stop and go traffic, even in L.A where we can split lanes there are times when you can only move a couple of feet at a time and you are constantly pulling the clutch, a stiff pull gets old after miles of this.
Go ahead get one, it makes the bike better and does not affect the clutch's grip. And if anyone gives you a hard time let me know:devil:.
The only time I ever had issues with clutch pull on my XR1200 was in stop-and-go traffic in L.A. Hmmm, seems to be a pattern here.

+1 I use my XR to commute to work which involves negotiating over 30 traffic signals each way. I'm not on a macho trip, so for me, the Muller Easy Clutch is a welcome addition to my bike. :cool:
I don't see myself as macho because I don't think the clutch pull is too stiff on my XR1200. Maybe I am just lucky because I get to ride my XR1200 instead of sitting at lights with the clutch in.

·
I do not own a Citroen!
103 Posts
Sitting at a light, in gear, with the clutch in is not a safe idea. However, shifting about 200 times each way to and from work can be a major pain.

·
WTF???
15,959 Posts
Sitting at a light, in gear, with the clutch in is not a safe idea. ...
I totally agree with you, but some people, including magazine editors, think it is a great idea for safety, to help you get out of the way of some idiot behind you. I say b.s. 99% of the time.

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts
Sitting at a light, in gear, with the clutch in is not a safe idea. However, shifting about 200 times each way to and from work can be a major pain.
I totally agree with you, but some people, including magazine editors, think it is a great idea for safety, to help you get out of the way of some idiot behind you. I say b.s. 99% of the time.
They used to teach in safety classes that it was safer to put it in neutral in case the cable snapped or you brain farted and let the clutch out by accident. Now some teach that it is safer to stay in gear, watching your mirrors for the car that doesn't want to stop behind you. And having been rear ended at a stop light, I can tell you it doesn't feel real good to have you and your Buell catapulted into an intersection.

·
WTF???
15,959 Posts
They used to teach in safety classes that it was safer to put it in neutral in case the cable snapped or you brain farted and let the clutch out by accident. Now some teach that it is safer to stay in gear, watching your mirrors for the car that doesn't want to stop behind you. And having been rear ended at a stop light, I can tell you it doesn't feel real good to have you and your Buell catapulted into an intersection.
I've had to avoid people that weren't going to stop for a light (65-75 mph plus), but I tend to do that as I'm rolling to a stop. If you are sitting at a light and some idiot comes barrelling down on you, you have milliseconds to try to decide what to do. 1. Pull into the intersection where you might get creamed by a semi coming from your side at 60 mph? 2. Too late, the accident is already over.

Basically, try to make sure that isn't going to happen in the first place by checking behind you before you stop. I know it isn't always possible. My only real accident in over 20 years was getting nailed from behind in my car. I didn't even know anyone was back there. And the other day I saw a cop bike layed out in the intersection looking like it had been shoved out there from behind, so it can happen to anyone.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts