XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Just Here
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been working on some interesting modifications for your XR 1200 over the past few weeks. Here is a run down.

1: installed a single cartridge system and tested them out at the track 2 weeks ago. Let me make myself clear, I did not go on this venture but received the data. Öhlins purchased two different competitors cartridge systems and tuned them for ultimate performance, changing both valving and fork oil levels. Quiet a bit of time went into maxing out the performance. The single sided fork cartridge system form Italy was also tested (3rd set). This is for setting a base line for performance,

The testing was not done on a XR 1200 but a metric mule with professional riders. A week was spent getting a base line with for real riders with accurate feedback to the crew. The results are something like this.

1: The single sided fork system showed real promises for the XR 1200. A inexpensive unit that will go in for less than a grand (no known price for now). They gave positive results and were well worth the price tag. Whether Öhlins is going to support this product is anyone’s guess right at the moment. I am getting one for testing purposes and had to purchase the few remaining little BS parts to make them work. Just ordered them from Bruce Rossmeyer's today, well under a $100 for all. Your forks already have them in them but I started out with brand new parts, No take-off’s. I will get a local XR rider for actual testing. We will see where this will take us.

2. A set of Öhlins Road & Track cartridges are being readied for testing and dropped into the XR 1200 forks. The problem with this conversion is the stock lowers must be machined to accept the R&T system. We looked at this many ways, here are the obstacles we must overcome. We wanted ease of install that any person could or can get done locally. The idea of sending me forks would not be appealing acceding to the Corporate office in marketing.
i) The lowers must be machined out with tooling and a CNC program for accuracy and pricing concerns IMO. The good news is we already do this on the manufacturing of my forks/cartridges.
ii) We thought about manufacturing new and lighter axle clamps to get rid of the MOCO heavy weight, clunky bricks HD calls axle clamps. The skill level of removing axle clamps from fork tubes is not something everyone could do successfully. The cost of purchasing another set of brand new fork tubes and new axle clamps becomes less desirable when the cost is added to the bill.
iii) The only way to overcome this situation is to have us machine the one fork and install the cartridges for a 100% success rate. Of course this suspension solution would be the absolute best out there as proven week after week at the track. The R&T are far more sophisticated than any of the current offerings currently offered.

3. We have decided that a set of Öhlins R&T forks designated as Universal and are offered in 800 mm (31 ½”) would be a great choice for replacement forks that will drop right in to your MOCO 56 bottom/55 top trees. We in FLA, will manufacture the axles and we must look through the catalog and come up with compatible fender as well as caliper mounting brackets. This unit is modular in design. We currently make axles for this forks as this is what I use to convert the HD wheel onto the radial mount inverted forks I make. These forks are in stock and the project is very ready to proceed.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Awesome stuff Howard. I think the drop in single sided unit will have far and away the most appeal. The R&T conversion sounds like it will be very expensive. Somebody somewhere will pony up for it but i suspect not many
Under a grand though will likely have significant appeal.

G

·
A different route

I am thinking about taking a different route. I will be replacing the XR1200 triple clamps with a custom set that will take a complete front end off a yamaha R1/R6. These are often available on Ebay as "racer take offs" I will also be going to a 17" front wheel. The Yamaha forks are completely adjustable and have the advantage of many off the shelf aftermarket parts for tuning purposes.
I'll keep you posted as to how the project is going, I hate to take the bike off the road in this weather so i may wait for the late fall to begin.

·
Just Here
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am thinking about taking a different route. I will be replacing the XR1200 triple clamps with a custom set that will take a complete front end off a yamaha R1/R6. These are often available on Ebay as "racer take offs" I will also be going to a 17" front wheel. The Yamaha forks are completely adjustable and have the advantage of many off the shelf aftermarket parts for tuning purposes.
I'll keep you posted as to how the project is going, I hate to take the bike off the road in this weather so i may wait for the late fall to begin.
Prior to purchasing anything do your homework. Measure the steering stem off set than measure the length of the fork tubes & radius of the new wheel. Once that is done you can download my Rake & Trail calculator application from my DIY site. Than use the data you have and plug them into the appropriate boxes and figure out if the project will work for this application.

These measurements may or may not work for this application, it is much cheaper to have used paper laying around than unused parts. The next step needed is to figure out how to fix them if the numbers are not approperate for this use. Make a list of replaced parts (if needed) than make a total for evaluation. Once satisfied with the numbers think about learning how re-valve and re-spring the forks if necessary. If there is no intrest in that skill, think about commisioning a suspension shop you trust. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am sure you know this but others reading this may not, Traxion Dynamics requires that Harley owners send in their forks for the vary same reason, some precision machining has to be done. At least this was the case for all forks before the XR. So, no unreasonable for you to have to do the same.

I wonder how the new XR 2010 adjustable forks will now measure up.

·
Living the dream.....
274 Posts
I can tell you the first problem you will run into is the length of the forks. All the sportbike front ends are much shorter. The triple trees that you would have to make would have to compensate for this. It's a big project. But good luck!

I think someone needs to pony up for the new forks from HD and see what the internals look like. I think these are going to be the best bet. IMO.

Of course I ordered the Race Tech kit with new springs a week befor H-D came out with the new forks so I'm stuck with making the Race Tech stuff work for the rest of the season. Oh well!

·
Just Here
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is only money 32 1/2"

Not such a big deal, just money. This person is an executive for NBC and wanted to make a canyon carver out of a Softail. He will raise the rear for an even stance and give him more ground clearance. He lives in NYC during the week and in the Colorado's on the week end. Part of his job is to make the little banners you see on the news.

·
Just Here
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What’s New at Motorcyclemetal.com Aug. 7th 2009

Stock XR1200 Triple Trees are in & picked up from HD.

New light weight replacement triple trees will be available shortly.

* The Öhlins R&T are 800 mm/31.496” long, the same as stock.

* Motorcyclemetal will make the necessary parts to mount R&T into your or our trees & OEM fender mounting. Drop in kit.

* Nissin calipers, 108 mm radial mount calipers.
* 11.5”, 300 mm, or 320 mm rotors.

* With our Top Replacement Tree, you can:

** Use with Clip on.
** Use with Stock OEM XR1200 Handlebar/Similar.
** Use with OEM/Custom Risers.
** Use with OEM dimensioned weld on Handlebar/Risers.
** Use either optional Top mount OEM Headlight
Bottom tree w/hollow 4043 chrome Molly Steering Stem.
** Use Bottom mount headlight.
All kits come with hollow 4043 chrome Molly axle and axle spacers & parts to center your OEM wheel in the pre-chosen caliper.

Of course our own inverted forks have always been available

So Easy the Cave Man can do it!
We test & make it that way.

·
Just Here
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Converting over to either Motorcycle Metal or Ohlins inverted fully adjustable forks.

08-15-09

Improving the view from the drivers position:
Brand new OEM triple trees. A new wheel comes on Thursday along with the front fender support.

Stock XR1200 Triple Trees are in from HD. Just about needed a hand truck to bring them out. 5.11 in/Trail! We are going to do something about that trail thing and weight of the trees! You will no longer be able to go unconscious while riding.

* Motorcyclemetal manufactures the necessary parts to mount your OEM fender, stock Nissin calipers or 108 mm radial mount calipers to the Öhlins forks. Direct Bolt-Up!

* Caliper mounting for either:
* OEM 11.5” rotors / OEM Nissin Calipers (OEM Side Mount)
* 320 mm Rotors / OEM Nissin Calipers / Adapters (OEM Side Mount)
* 300 mm ( 108 mm Radial Caliper Mounting),
* 320 mm 3.25 lb SS/Aluminum carrier, or CMC > 1 lb 9 oz rotor Radial Mount

The 11.5" or pictured above 320 mm rotors are not stamped but cut out. With stamping the friction rings, the material is "bent" on the cut (think molecular layers) and than surface ground flat. Once the stamped friction rings are heated the "layers" tend to straiten back to their natural state which is just the way they were rolled in their molten state. The little things they don't tell you.

·
Just Here
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Single sided cartridge system finished from Ohlins

Single sided cartridge system finished from Ohlins. Got them delivered today. First ones from Ohlins USA but the details are still sketchy. Lots of track testing on them with Ohlins USA Track mules. David handled that part. This drop-in system is designed for the budget minded. Adjustments through the top cap.

I bought a brand new wheel, axle & spacers along with a fender support. Will take photos and give details during or after the weekend if anyone is interested.

I bought these brand new forks to develop the R&T drop-ins. Ohlins was not too excited about this project because of the fact that the forks would have to come to us to drill out the bottom of the one side that does not have a bolt hole to secure the cartridge into the fork bottom (Axle Clamp). This would pose no problem for us but the willingness of customers to ship their forks is another matter.

·
Just Here
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Magoo, Please call

Give me a ring if you can. Need a real rider to test some brand new Ohlins fork products. Sorry as you our third choice; Nicky Hayden is laid up with some back issues due to someone riding up into his rear fender and Valentino Rossi is tied up on other prior commitments. I have cleared it with the powers who be. We know that you will put lots of miles on the bike as evidenced already. Unfortunately, this time you will need to take it out the the back of the truck. In all seriousness, call me.

·
I piss excellence!
131 Posts
You want Magoo to test some Ohlins fork products? What? Is Ohlins gonna come out with forks to make loading your bike in your truck easier?

I got it! Forks with tie-downs built in? Great idea. Triple trees with tie-down eyelets hidden by turn signals?

Magoo testing forks is like Fat Billy testing bathing suits : )

·
Just Here
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You want Magoo to test some Ohlins fork products? What? Is Ohlins gonna come out with forks to make loading your bike in your truck easier?

I got it! Forks with tie-downs built in? Great idea. Triple trees with tie-down eyelets hidden by turn signals?

Magoo testing forks is like Fat Billy testing bathing suits : )
I knew this would happen, We did discuss the 20,000 miles on the bike even though the spedo says 7K miles. Whats up with that? But than again he does have one attribute no one else here has, it is good to be the King!

Magoo will have the opportunity to check out a few Mods that are brand new put into his bike for some real world testing. I do have hopes David will spend a few min. to set up his bike for performance. If it does work out I am sure Valentino will be nervous of loosing his job once the the Magoo-inator is unleashed. One of the Perks of owning a great site.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Very Cool, just make sure Magoo doesn't install them himself .........remember the hole saw incident?

Chow Don (PS.... do you need any cold weather testing done, maybe with snow tires?)
Thats a good point. Perhaps someone who takes a bit more professional approach to such modifications. People who live in Oregon for example are more certain to get this done properly.:devil:

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
Thats a good point. Perhaps someone who takes a bit more professional approach to such modifications. People who live in Oregon for example are more certain to get this done properly.:devil:

Geez, I can't stop laughing!! Nice try Joe.....

·
Just Here
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A few photos on upgrading your forks

Öhlins USA and myself has looked into offering the single sided replacement cartridge for the XR1200 fork presently being raced in Europe. Externally Adjustable Compression, Rebound, and Spring Pre-Load through the top cap. Budget priced at $1,000 FOP Davie, FL . Good results for little money. Easily done at home with little mechanical ability. Look at the blue arrow for the adjuster.

[FONT=&quot]Of course we offer our 11.5” or 320 mm (with caliper relocation adapters) full floating race rotors for a direct bolt up with this package Change your 5+" of trail and dump the raked OEM raked trees for a 4" Trail upgrade triple tree package. These will be released soon.

[/FONT]

·
Just Here
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Triple Trees

We are getting closer to finishing the XR1200 Showa or Öhlins R&T inverted fork triple trees. The trees will feature riser type handlebars and a bottom bolt for a headlight like normal. The risers offer the standard rubber type mounting or for race applications the solid inserts can also be purchased ubiquitously in any shop. We do not make anything you can already buy locally.

For those who wish a top tree mounted headlight a 2005 & below Dyna/Sportster bracket can be bolted on by drilling out the pre-drilled mounting holes the last 1/8". The forks on top are clamped in place with a single 3/8" cap head semi-hidden bolt. It is clamped on the trailing side.

We have a "pocketed" system for weight savings yet the appearance is like a custom great looking flat top tree. The top tree is 1" thick with pressed in inserts for the handle bars. The steering stem is a blind hole much like my other "Wide Glide" inverted triple trees. Adjustments for tension are made from the bottom with our special nut. Clearance is made for a 12 pin Deutsch Connector with clutch cable and brake cable in place. The little things no one thinks about.

The bottom tree is 1 3/4" thick and also is pocketed for weight savings. A hidden Internal Fork Stop must be purchased separately, nothing external. A clearance hole for the brake line is provided for our optional brake manifold system. Just like my other "Wide Glide" inverted triple trees, the brake lines are routed down close to the back of the fork tubes for a very clean look and provides function. The bottom fork is clamped in place with a pair 3/8" cap head semi-hidden bolt. The clamping strength is more than 4 smaller bolts found on other units. They are clamped on the trailing side for added strength.

The steering stem is made of hollow Chrome Molly and is held in place by two hidden set screws.

The function is the most important part. We designed these trees to give you a much more desirable 4" trail and doing away with Harley Davidson’s reversed raked system. This 4" of trail measurement are taken using a completely stock XR1200.

The first 5 sets will sell for $900. The finish is mill, just the way it comes off of the CNC machine. Optional clear and select color anodizing, powder coating, plus chrome are available prior to shipping.

These trees were designed by Bob Mc Donald of BFI, the team at Öhlins USA and me. They are designed for durability of street use and not designed as fragile as track only applications.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.