XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Always on center and standing tall.
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a really good report on motorcycle visibility. :clap:

The report is called “How Close is Too Close”. “How Close is Too Close” is the intellectual property of Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) MAG UK www.mag-uk.org
On page 13 of “How Close is Too Close” it says: "This document is copyright, unless otherwise credited, of Motorcycle Action Group (UK). Use may be freely made without prior permission on condition that the intellectual property is credited 'MAG UK'. If used on a web page, link to www.mag-uk.org"

“How Close is Too Close” covers accident stats and the visibility of motorcycles due to several factors. I think it is an important read and it’s only 14 pages long. For me the earlier technical information was slow to comprehend but this information really made sense later in the report. I would encourage you all to read it completely.

Here is the link http://www.mag-uk.org/en/campaignsd...d97257a1&SID=c9503e3cc70fa9df4fc6c9c61eebd8de

pdf http://www.network.mag-uk.org/smidsy/How Close is Too Close.pdf

Keep the rubber on the road my friends.:nana: :scooter:

·
www.jp2code.net
20,699 Posts
Mmmm... 14 pages.

Catch up on the forum, or sit and read 14 pages of technical data?

Hmmmm....

I'm going to wait for someone to summarize this for me. I can't focus that long anyway.

Is there a happy ending, at least?

Kinda like on Jerry McGuire, you lost me at 14 pages.

·
Necessity is the Mother of INVENTION,,,,Fear is re
6,669 Posts
Riddle me this Batman, How visible are ORANGE bikes, with headlights on

·
pago cruiser
453 Posts
Thanks for posting Jeff.
I read this briefly, and printed it so I can have something constructive to do when I visit the 'loo at work on Monday... here is the Cliff Notes version:

Some snippets:

...there is a marked problem with other road users observing motorcyclists.
... Objects that are large and move or flicker are more conspicuous
...(in regards to cagers running into parked police cars, the authorities painted the rear of the police cars with big red and while stripes). Rather than decrease, the rate of accidents actually increased. Ward suggests that bright colours do not guarantee – by themselves – conspicuity.

This is interesting:

Blending.jpg
Somewhere in another forum I read an article about how when bikes started running daylight headlights, the accident rate dropped. But when cars started doing the same, it rose again. May have been a statistical anomaly, but the above pic says different. As a test, get a couple feet back from the monitor, close your eyes but still keep your head facing the monitor. Noe open them for one second while looking at the pic, then close your eyes. In the left pic the light stands out easily. In the right, ALL YOU CAN SEE IS THE CAR.

...In a situation with combined x+z-motion, the x-motion factor is far more detectable than any amount of z-motion and the object pops-out and can be dealt with.

...because the rider is looking at the car, the result of this reaction is to collide with the car. Right - target fixation on whats going to severely injure or kill me? Target fixation among new riders is indeed a verified phenomena. But the only reason I would fixate on the cager driver was if I saw a head on was imminent with no way out: I would do my damdest to insert my Shoei helmet into their face...

And last:

"The Department for Transport has spent considerable time, energy and money to promote campaigns to suggest that motorcyclists are largely responsible for their own deaths and injuries." AHA! We bring it on ourselves... :confused::asshole:

My take: There have been a couple studies done here (stateside) and one of the authors points was that bikes are vertically oriented. This article does touch on that, but it is not expressed well. People's brains have come to associate vertical things with non-dangers. Think trees, phone poles, buildings, and maybe even deer; How many times have you read "it appeard out of nowhere!". The more you can increase your horizontal aspect ratio, the better you get peoples brains (yes, bikers' as well) to think differently. That is the reason for the "Triangle of light" folks talk about when they install driving lights. I can confirm that when I installed LED driving lights below and on the sides of the headlight on my solo bikes, the incidence of stupid driving tricks dropped by at least 50%. Also, when riding the hack I have a LOT less folks pulling out in front of me; and the hack is almost as wide as it is tall... But I still installed LED driving lights on the front, and if the engine is running the lights are on. WHITE helmets also help considerably, as not much in the environment is white. Those guys wearing camo helmets or with multi layered paint jobs that blend into the background are... well... cool looking I guess. But they could do a better job trying to stand out from the background; it may just save their a$$ from being run over by a texting teenager or soccer mom.

Here is a quick photoshop of the guy with a white helmet.
Blending r.jpg
Stands out much better. His red helmet blends with the parked car behind him. Of course, that parked car could have been white... But I did not make up the Helmet Color study..

Sadly, not one word was mentioned of distracted drivers, or cell phones, or texting. Read an insurance study in the last couple months that about 30% of all accidents are now related to use of cell phones while steering. :censored::(

·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys. My SPHINCTER puckered with all the new copyright right laws and possible ways one can be dragged into court because of a copyright violation. I do think it is truly worth the read and will make us all better riders.

This is my take but you need to read it for yourself since I have been wrong time and time again throughout my life. The report mentions x axis - lateral/perpendicular movement and z axis - (coming straight at you or another driver). It also mentioned how glitter and flare on the bike or rider can deceive the eyes of another motorist causing them to misjudge your bike's position. I remember that a cyclist should somewhat zig-zag (like a snake) in the lane or lanes which allows the other motorist's eyes to see you. Our eyes pick up lateral motion better than parallel motion. The lateral or perpendicular motion away from the other driver was most effective rather than laterally moving toward an upcoming driver. If I remember correctly, loud pipes made no significant difference. Also it dealt with why car stop in their tracks before a cyclist strikes them head on; it refers to the car drivers panic situation to brake (because he never saw you) and when he/she did- they brake AND, why it is important for the bike rider to turn the head in the direction of DESIRED TRAVEL "PRIOR" to panic because if your head is turned in an exit location; during a panic the rider will center the eyes and look in that direction and hopefully steer and avoid a collision.

I need to re-read this and I suggest everyone read it completely.

·
My other ride is your bitch
1,872 Posts
Ride naked, it tends to get you noticed...

·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The posterior end of an 80k pound semi will not make a texting or "unaware" driver more attentive or aware prior to the collision. What this article will help in doing is making riders more visible to those drivers who are aware but somehow missed us in their scanning. And being visible appeared more related to an x axis movement, by the bike, "away" from the other drivers rather than flowing in traffic parallel to every other vehicle. The report also mentioned that governments focus driver's training more toward cars and trucks rather than being aware for motorcycles too.

·
Necessity is the Mother of INVENTION,,,,Fear is re
6,669 Posts
Pago that is amazing when you look at the second pic (the one on the right) you dont even notice the bike. Here in Pa its the law to turn your lights on when your wipers are running however I see people who do not follow a simple precaution or people driving at dusk or later with no lights on. People just suck sometimes and it makes are job of being ever more vigilant high priority

·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again, read the article. That is the understanding I have. I think they use an incoming surface to ship missile analogy to further expound on the point. Its like the story my Uncle told me years ago. My Uncle saw a black dot while he was riding on his chopper, doing 120mph with no helmet. He said the "dot" was like a pencil mark on a piece of paper and just kind of floated there and hovered in front of me. He goes on to say that as he observed it at the dot got larger then, WHAM!!!! it struck him in the forehead and he said he did everything in his power not to wreck. The dot was a bumble bee traveling on a z axis toward him.

·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JoeP wrote "So, if I jinx right then left (i.e. weave) while riding to work in my lane, I can increase my horizontal stature?"

Ettspechally, ifins you are jinxin' away, rather than jinxin' toward the oncoming driver.

·
Hooray for boobies!
1,085 Posts
I'm a member of MAG. I am sure others in the UK are too. With EU legislation towards motorcycling getting more and more ridiculous they need all the help they can get.

Good to see some of their info turning up in here

·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm a member of MAG. I am sure others in the UK are too. With EU legislation towards motorcycling getting more and more ridiculous they need all the help they can get.

Good to see some of their info turning up in here
I haven't had time to view the MAG sight much at all yet and I was only introduced to the report a few days ago so if you have other interesting articles from them I for, one, will ask you to share the information please.

·
Along for the ride!
267 Posts

·
Kinder gentler machine gun world
4,489 Posts
From personal experience I can say that the color of our helmets have alot to do with being noticed.....I had a friend who said if he didn't see my helmet (Bright red)....he would have pulled out in front of me and I'd be toast on the side of a F-150........BTW....it was my fault....luckily he saw me.......You know............something about running a red light and going tooooooo fast....:whistling:

·
Registered
473 Posts
In some of the data I used in my paper for a class, the color white is the most over all visible color. More so than dayglow yellow, green and orange. (which is probably why more helmet companies are producing white helmets).

·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In some of the data I used in my paper for a class, the color white is the most over all visible color. More so than dayglow yellow, green and orange. (which is probably why more helmet companies are producing white helmets).
I wear a white helmet and most times I look out of place when compared to the other riders.

·
Scaring the crap out of Sportbikes everywhere.
1,029 Posts
All very good information, thanks for sharing.

As for a white helmet; yes, white is the most visible, if it does not blend in with the surroundings,
They make more white helmets for the same reason they paint more service trucks white, it's cheaper. White helmets will not get noticed next to a delivery van same way a red helmet won't get noticed next to a fire truck, lots of big white trucks out there. This is why safety gear is day glow orange or green, colors not usually found in the surrounding environment, but who wants to wear that.

I prefer to go unnoticed, I ride as if I was invisible, I know they can't see me so I take that into account and ride as fast as I can through the blind spots never riding next to vehicle for long if I can avoid it.
Besides, white helmets are gaaaaayyy.:devil:

·
Central Cal Coast Chapter
387 Posts
I'm not quite as far along as RSVR (I added the kit to keep my rear turn signals on all the time on my XR) but I'm afraid I gave up on people seeing me on my motorcycle when I read an article on motorcycle ambulances in London. The guy they interviewed had been hit while "code 3" (lights and siren on) IIRC three times. Yup, "I didn't see him". If a siren and flashing red lights on 2 meter tall polls on each end of the bike doesn't cure the "I didn't see him" excuse how much good will a white helmet do?

The other guy is drunk, stoned or just stupid, he/ she has HUA (head up ass) syndrome and in is either texting, playing with the radio or maybe himself. Ride appropriately.

JMHO,

Goose

1 - 20 of 26 Posts