XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what i have been saying will be the best performing exhaust on the XR, Remus headers and a Supertrapp mufler, Mort and i have been discussing this over the last few weeks and he has been in a position to go ahead and get the job done.

Here is Morts wright up on how he went about it..

Parts List for adding Supertrapp Aluminum racing muffler to Remus Header on XR 1200:
From www.denniskirk.com
43-950 muffler/racing/supertrapp 2.5 inch inlet-comes in silver I painted it semi gloss ceramic black
4 inch disc size muffler

from www.summitracing.com
sup-094-2500 clamp 2.5"(extra clamp for remus collector)
sup-405-3046 open end cap (it has 1.5" opening, I ported it out to 2", easy" and painted it same black
sup-095-3500 body clamp 3.5" for muffler body-I painted it black and glued a thin liner of gasket material on the inside-used permatex gasket 300 adhesive-ROL gaskets RK 1016 or FP3157 rubberized fiber gasket 1/32" thick on a 10 inch roll.
I started with 8 discs to go with the ported open end cap-will experiment from there-you may want to buy more discs(comes with 12) and possibly longer screws if you want a closed end cap and a lot of discs.-

From local auto supply, I bought an off the shelf piece of thin gauge tailpipe,it was about 18 inches long in the muffler accessory section, cut it down to 11 inches in length. The 2.5" o.d. slips right in to the inside of the supertrapp can, the slightly smaller 2 3/8" i.d. slips right over the remus collector-do not get the heavy gauge tailpipe from a muffler shop- thin gauge or a piece of stainless pipe may fit. Painted it the same-duplicolor hi temp engine gray primer first then semi gloss black-both match my header, painted all the clamps too. Used hi temp black permatex silicone gasket maker on the slip joints. Check the photos, you will need an assortment of washers to get things lined up. You will also need a longer bolt to mount the muffler body clamp with the extra washers. That's pretty much all I can remember-

Mortbike

And again with a write up on how it has been working out with his first ride..

Hi Scotty-I got the first test ride in following my installation of the large straight through internal diameter(2.5") Supertrapp Aluminum Racing Muffler on to my Remus headers with my own custom add on pipe extension, etc. IT ROARS AND RUNS LIKE A BEAST. Running a bit lean, needs a re-tune now as there is some hesitation from 2,000 to 3,000 rpm and some popping on deceleration which I am sure will improve with some additional fueling adjustments. From 3,000 on it pulls like hell through to REDLINE. From the seat of the pants it is a major difference-It will be nice to be able to tune both the exhaust(discs) and fueling to just the torque curve I want. I am so pleased-no engine work for me-this is more than enough.Roads were just a bit wet so bike is a little dirty-enjoy the picks and feel free to post this with photos for all our friends at:
www.xr1200ownersgroup.com

Best Regards-Mort

Mort thats one cool looking 2-1 set up, and you have the advantage of being able to tune the pipe to suit your needs :D
2-1 most always gives more power than any other configuration on a Harley motor more so with the tunable Supertrapp muffler as you can tune for torque or horsepower...Very cool Mort very cool indeed, its always better when you fabricate your own system rather doing the norm. Well done mate ;)
Thanks for sending the pics and the write ups, it looks great, again, well done, I'm pretty sure you have the best performing system to date..Enjoy :D :D

PS. as far as the popping is concerned, make sure you have no air leaks in the system (headers to head, headers to muffler extension, muffler extension to muffler) that would be a prime cause of popping, especially if it is every time you shut off.

·
....the original "don't ask me how I know" guy....
172 Posts
Now THATS what Im talking about!!! Best looking system so far!!!! And if it functions as good as it looks, then its two birds down.....

·
Its good to have friends
2,308 Posts
Kudos to you U.K. guys, that system is right on. Mullen of Nightrider told me the biggest problem can be air leaks, you are right Scotty. Is there a clamp like that available for the 1 1/2" Trapps that we are running?

G

·
Kudos to you U.K. guys, that system is right on. Mullen of Nightrider told me the biggest problem can be air leaks, you are right Scotty. Is there a clamp like that available for the 1 1/2" Trapps that we are running?
Don, Mort and his XR are from the USA, see his license plate on the bike pictures above. :yinyang:

G

·
I thought they might lock the thread but I think it will be OK now.

By the way, how many discs do you think equal an open endcap on the supertrapps? 8?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
open end cap

Xrider-I spoke to Supertrapp this morning and the tech guy said 8 discs is equivalent to the stock 1.5 inch open end cap-Mort

G

·
Congratulations Mort!

This exhaust really looks great! It sure sounds cool too!!
I'm thinking about painting my Remus too :) :)

Mort, do you have avon grips as footrests too???? :)

·
Its good to have friends
2,308 Posts
I think at least 8. I just checked my mini- trapps and the bottom one was leaking a bit. I put the aluminum muffler tape around both joints and re-installed the clamps, that should fix that. It was popping a bit when I let off on the gas.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
supertrapp/avon foot pegs

Hi Benny-Thanks for the compliments on the exhaust. I had my Remus header painted black before I installed it when I first bought it. Yes, Avon now makes the matching foot pegs-They are very comfortable. Mort

G

·
Hi Benny-Thanks for the compliments on the exhaust. I had my Remus header painted black before I installed it when I first bought it. Yes, Avon now makes the matching foot pegs-They are very comfortable. Mort
Mort do you have a link or something? I didn't see anything like that on their homepage..

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
avon foot pegs

Benny-you can email them at
[email protected]
or call international phone 281-358-6738
international fax 281-359-4173

ask for custom contour anodized folding foot pegs to match the custom contour anodized grips( round end, no spikes)
best regards-Mort

·
My giant goes with me wherever I go.
14,911 Posts
nice..........

That goes to the top of the neat mod's list! Mort, that looks great! Nice Job. And kudo's to Scotty on the tech support :D.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Remus header

Thanks for the advice Benny. My front header pipe did develop the same crack too! I bought it from Remus USA and they repaired it promptly. While it is not like the new version with the rubber bushing, they did add a bit more welding and I do use an additional washer to take up the space between the mounting bar and the tab to avoid any extra stress. I also tighten that bolt last. I have about 500 miles since the repair and check it often-so far it looks good. Mort

1 - 20 of 128 Posts