XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a little more cosmetic work on the XR today, I am pleased with the look (thanks Matt, for the inspiration), the look will change soon, the D and D exhaust is at the powdercoaters now, and should be here the end of next week.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks nice! Is that paint, or powder coat?

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paint

It's paint, baked on. Should be durable, nothing touches it. I have a neighbor who has a body shop, I use his booth. If it doesn't stay, I will bead blast and powdercoat.

G

·
Looks great Florida! :)

Is it wrinkle paint or standard paint? Since the powdercoating is wrinkled already.
Did you mask the lettering or polish it after painting?

I was thinking about this too but I'm unsure if it's not to much black on a black XR. I kinda like the highlighted engine on a black XR.

Now get rid of the rear side reflectors! :)

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unsure

Benny, I was unsure if I would like the black on the cases so I used paint. I used a light texture paint. It does not need the heavy buildup like the standard wrinkle paint does. In the past I have had some varied results from the wrinkle paint, it is not always consistant. Ok, maybe it's me that is not consistant. Since the cases have a slight texture, like a sand finish, I used the sand finish paint. The results were quite nice, and since the cases don't get touched I felt the paint would be satisfactory. I do like the look, so if there is any chipping, etc I will just bead blast and powdercoat. Cost of $15 for paint as opposed to over $200 to powdercoat helped. I painted and left in sun for a full day, remember the hot Florida sun brought these pieces to about 250 to 300 f.
I polished the lettering on the side case, I used a small piece of wood, not more than the width of the letters, and about 4 inches long. I worked slowly so as not to make any mistakes. If I were doing this again, I would file or sand the existing powdercoat from the letters first, then paint, this way you would only be removing the paint after the final finish is applied. I am very satisfied with the look, I think doing the cylinders would be too much, unless you polished the edges of the fins. I think with the stainless heat shields on the stock exhaust, the silver swing arm and cylinders balance the gloss black side covers, fender, and the wrinkle cases. If the pipe and cylinder were left silver, I don't think the black cases would be too much, try it with water color poster paint and wash it off if you don't like it.

Reflectors are staying on for several reasons, new laws in Florida require reflectors if standard on bike, or manufactured after 1975. Also we have a lot of morning fog, so side reflectors are a big safety issue, we also have a higher percentage of elderly drivers, and if you don't know about the elderly, ask Vecchio.

·
My giant goes with me wherever I go.
14,911 Posts
Sweet....

I just found this post...- think it looks great! This may be my next mod....very nice Tony!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Why can't i see these pics? I was thinking about painting my covers black. I wanted to paint them with some flat black self etching primer? Any input? Sick of the water spots on the powder coated silver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts