XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I'll keel haul ya scurvy dogs!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Deb's mod, not mine. I just did it, and thought that I would share.
Remove the mufflers and get a 1 led flashlight and find out how they are put together!!!!!!!! You will see that there is a wall between the small out pipe at an angle. Between that angle wall is the end of the out pipe about 1 inch short of the wall. To find this out put the light on a string and learn fishing a muffler. Now go to Home depot and buy a Ridgid 1 1/2 " hole saw, Arbor, and 6" extension for arbor. About $40. Take it slow at first becarse you are going to cut through on steel on a slope!!!!! Tilt the hole saw towards the side that the out pipe is. Once you get the saw set into the steel so that it guides the saw continue sawing to the area where the angle stops. Now you are just about home now.. Now you must pry the angled steel out of the way, about 45* Now you can see the end of the 1 1/4" out pipe.
So o.k, it is kinda hard to take pictures of the inside of the exhaust, so I drew on up on MS paint to help out.

Hopefully this will make it a little more understandable. The exhaust goes in, down, around, up, and back out the little pipe before it finally gets out. Put the hole saw in, and try to get a good bite on the angled wall, and give it all you got. It was a pretty long process for me. It isn't that easy, so like she said, take it slow. I haven't put the pipes back on yet, because I trashed the gasket on one of them, and none of the dealers around me carry them in stock. Now I have to wait for new ones to get in. After I get them mounted back, I will post a before and after sound bite for you guys and gals. Hopefully this cleared things up a little bit.

Joe

·
WTF???
15,959 Posts
I'm sure this mod has to help some, but it seems the biggest limiting factor is the tiny exit pipe. Deb, have you noticed any horsepower (by feel) or fuel mileage differences?

·
I'll keel haul ya scurvy dogs!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure this mod has to help some, but it seems the biggest limiting factor is the tiny exit pipe. Deb, have you noticed any horsepower (by feel) or fuel mileage differences?
Another thing that I have been thinking about doing is at least cutting that pipe out. That and/or cutting another hole in the end. I figure if I do this, the worst thing to happen is that I will have to take it in and get it tuned on a dyno. I think that I am willing to take that risk. I can't wait to get my new gaskets in so that I can ride the thing now!

Joe

·
skipper
24 Posts
OK I did cut a 1/4 inch hole in the back of each muffler .
Everything else is still stock. I could listen to the difference immediately. The sound is now very deep and more loud. The bike is running fine probably less low torque but much better over 4000 rpm's. No problems at all except maybe in the first 5 minutes when the engine is still cold. Let's say a kind of hesitation that I did not feel before. I am waiting for the Xied to see any improvement. I should have them soon . Augh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts