XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyonne other than Jeremy Connors modofied their cam cover oil pump cover like this? If so do you have any pictures of this or others? I saw a post about one that was cut up way too much for my liking.
Modified the "Fake Cam Cover", what do you think? | XR1200 Owners Group

I have messaged Jeremy a few times, but no reply, and this is the only picture of his work found, and it is his avatar. With my XR came a 2009 stock spare cover (cast) to replicate this. I would leave the stock pulley cover in place.

4 Months ago I asked Jeremy about that side cover, and this was his reply:

"It’s as simple as the “mod” where guys here just take the whole over off, except I wanted better aesthetics and some crash protection for the pumps, just in case. WARNING: It takes forever to cut an attractive shape by hand.. I used a cutter wheel, dremel, sponge blocks, files, etc. through a meditative weekend. Anywho, make it your own, if you take this route! And as far as any data, I used my “but dyno”, ya know — it “felt” and looked cooler, lighter.., to me, absolutely."

Bicycle part Musical instrument Electronic instrument Font Motor vehicle

Bicycle part Automotive exterior Auto part Composite material Nickel

White Font Line Parallel Slope

·
Administrator
12,757 Posts
You should check out what MtBadBob has done to his cover. I cant find the pic right now, but he had the XR 100 SPORTSTER lettering cut out.
Found the pic:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

Some (streettracker and magoo) have also gone "coverless" which isn't a bad look either.

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All are I retesting options. Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Dont cut oem Engine Parts.Esp. the RH Cover Frt is hard to get as second Hand.If you like the Cutout Design make a Copy from Fiberglass its just a Cover .But what for ? One Pizza less a week has the same Effects....))))) :ROFLMAO:

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
2,156 Posts
Personally I find most options other than the stock cam chest & front pulley cover look ugly to my eyes. But if some people like them, good for them. It's a free country (well, relatively). And as RR says, if you want to put the bike on a diet, maybe start with yourself. In terms of knocking weight off an XR, the low hanging fruit is battery, exhaust system and wheels. Those are costly enough, but I did all three either fully or in part. After that it becomes a case of questionable changes for dimishing returns, like deleting the cam chest and front pulley cover. I favour the pizza option. And to be completely frank, I probably need to...

J.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was told this mod is more for cooling purposes, rather than weight savings.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the feedback.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts