XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lurking around this forum I purchased my 13 th road bike (4th brand new one!) in my now 25 yrs of being a licensed rider (now 42!) AND only 1 day and 133 miles later and this is my favorite!Lucky #13 is a black XR1200 that was picked up on Saturday evening and is going back to the shop to get the ; black smoked windscreen, hard bags, luggage rack WITH backrest installed and then pretty soon some pipes! This is the first bike in a long, long time that i do not want to get off! Got home sat night and had a storm chase me in so only 18 miles, yesterday went 107 and today one way to work (8miles). I will be using this as my daily driver hence the set up. This replaces my K1200rs Bmw I had last year. BUT this is the first time in better 15 yrs that I made a long term commitment and went new! Wife thinks its a mid life crisis but I am to young for that! Looking forward to sharing how the bike is all set up later this week! Best regards!

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
After lurking around this forum I purchased my 13 th road bike (4th brand new one!) in my now 25 yrs of being a licensed rider (now 42!) AND only 1 day and 133 miles later and this is my favorite!Lucky #13 is a black XR1200 that was picked up on Saturday evening and is going back to the shop to get the ; black smoked windscreen, hard bags, luggage rack WITH backrest installed and then pretty soon some pipes! This is the first bike in a long, long time that i do not want to get off! Got home sat night and had a storm chase me in so only 18 miles, yesterday went 107 and today one way to work (8miles). I will be using this as my daily driver hence the set up. This replaces my K1200rs Bmw I had last year. BUT this is the first time in better 15 yrs that I made a long term commitment and went new! Wife thinks its a mid life crisis but I am to young for that! Looking forward to sharing how the bike is all set up later this week! Best regards!
Beside the Porsche GT4 would be the mid life crisis :eek:

Welcome

·
Reputation points: -4
1,205 Posts
Welcome...

GT4-Good 4 you!!! Welcome to your forum and congrats on the new rig. Check out the "how to post pictures" thread and lets see her all dressed up!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plan on getting picks up as soon as it's back from the shop, will do some before and after shots. Anyone know if it is worth doing the DME / Fuel Injection remaping on the bike with stock pipes? I was getting pipes and remaping but pulled that out of the to do list for now, but maybe just the remaping

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
Plan on getting picks up as soon as it's back from the shop, will do some before and after shots. Anyone know if it is worth doing the DME / Fuel Injection remaping on the bike with stock pipes? I was getting pipes and remaping but pulled that out of the to do list for now, but maybe just the remaping
you will get a ton of answers here about fueling but here is some info from a Dyno test i did.
We ran the stock mufflers with our Top Fueler, this is actually made for us by Dobeck Performance (the guy who invented & owned Dynojet).
The peak torque didn't change and the peak HP went up .7 More importantly the torque from 2500 to 3250 went up a little as did HP from 5500 on up by a couple.

It also ran much smoother around 2500-3500 where many complain about surging. For the whole story do a search for Drilled mufflers and you'll find the thread.
Don

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
GT4, welcome! You know 42 is a little young for a full blown mid-life crisis. Don't tell your wife but the serious mid-life freakout is still about 8 years in your future. God knows what you'll be like by then!!!

Enjoy the scoot. The XR is a wonderful commuter bike....unless you live in South Alabama in July and August....the traffic lights can be brutal when its 95 degrees, 90 % humidity and that big V-twin is just burning yer azz up! But its still better than being in a car [:)]!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the performance tips, I will look into it...at 42, if I go 84 I will have beat out all other males in my gene pool!

·
Scooter Trash
194 Posts
Welcome aboard GT4. Lots of good info and different points of view here. Enjoy the new ride and the forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.