XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone elsa have this problem?

It looks like this after 200km. Already had it to my crappy dealer. I think they just changed the seals. Rear cylinder is fine now. Front one is even worse.
It's actually worse than it looks in the pictures. Picture showing the front of the cylinder shows it best. This is no oil mist for me this is leaking...

·
I have come here to defeat you Ricky Booby!
72 Posts
Same thing for me at 2 500 km on the front cylinder, and I already have this problem with my old 06-883 R before. In both cases, guarantee worked and the dealer changed the seals.

Be careful, the main problem is that the oil attacks the cylinder grey paint, so if you have an oil leaking like this, you should wipe oil without waiting

·
Keeping Them Flying
183 Posts
I've posted this before on another thread. Follow the rubber vent tubes coming out of the top of the valve covers. The fitting that threads into the covers cracks and the oil mists under the tank. The dealer replaced mine so it should be in the system. No more leak.

·
72 Posts
I've posted this before on another thread. Follow the rubber vent tubes coming out of the top of the valve covers. The fitting that threads into the covers cracks and the oil mists under the tank. The dealer replaced mine so it should be in the system. No more leak.
You are talking about the breather hoses. in my case, it was the seal between cylinder and valve cover which was defective

·
Keeping Them Flying
183 Posts
You are talking about the breather hoses. in my case, it was the seal between cylinder and valve cover which was defective
Yes. It looked just like that on mine to. Upon further investigation however, I found more oil under the tank and in the valve cover vallies. When I checked the vent hoses to make sure they were secure, the threaded fitting broke.

·
72 Posts
well, you're right. In fact, it's important to check the valve cover correctly to find from where comes the problem. I noticed too the breather hoses weren't very solid.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's the valve cover that's leaking on mine.
I think it's a problem of all the powdercoated engines, like the 883R has too.
Somewhere I read a guy had the seals changed 3 times with no success until a capable mechanic found that there were powdercoating residues on the sealing area.

And for the fact that "every harley does this"
This is a No-Go for me. My 883 didn't have this problem and the 883 of my neighbour does not have it too.

And where's the problem of putting a bit of sealant on the gasket groove (the XR has grooves for the gasket) to correctly seal it? Most of the time we do this on cars valve covers...almost everything on modern cars is sealed with sealing compound..

I'd do it myself but I have guarantee on that thing and I think it's my right to have it get done by a capable dealer.
Maybe I change my mind when I remove the airbox anyway lol

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
No oil leaks for the rotund ranger. I feel left out and may need treatment. Ok, Ok another beer, I'm back to normal! Is that good? :rolleyes: Later,

·
Keeping Them Flying
183 Posts
And for the fact that "every harley does this"
This is a No-Go for me. My 883 didn't have this problem and the 883 of my neighbour does not have it too.
Every Harley dosen't do this. The design may be 50 years old but the manufacturing techniques arn't. No one will find a better 2 valve pushrod mass produced v twin built today.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Every Harley dosen't do this. The design may be 50 years old but the manufacturing techniques arn't. No one will find a better 2 valve pushrod mass produced v twin built today.

yeah I think after 50 years of development an outdated design should finally work well ;)

but that's not my problem...
I think it's a problem with the powdercoating finish.

Think I'm going to solve it myself :)
I'll keep you updated

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks you guys!

I did not have this problem until I read som e of these posts and then my XR decided to leak slightly from the valve covers just so it would be in good company! lol

My three Harleys and my SO's Deuce exhibit none of this.

In for warranty service in the am to fix it, hopefully for good.

Later

paul

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will get a new front valve cover and rockerbox as soon as my dealer has the parts. All under full warranty.
In fact I think he has the parts already but no time to make it.....so he won't call me...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have encountered the same problem on a 2007 1200 roadster, front cylinder. The dealer replaced the gasket 3 times. The last time, they actually removed some the black powder finish. It has been fine since the last fix (5000kms ago)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have encountered the same problem on a 2007 1200 roadster, front cylinder. The dealer replaced the gasket 3 times. The last time, they actually removed some the black powder finish. It has been fine since the last fix (5000kms ago)
I heard about this fix too. But since I'm getting a new cover and rockerbox I'll wait how it works after this.

If still not ok I'm going to do it myself

1 - 15 of 15 Posts